IGNORED

Players Revert To Type - Managerial Record Comparisons

Harry

Hey Tim. I think Jeff got the wrong Harry (as he later acknowledged), however, we can do both. I for one will be making as much noise as I can tomorrow, as usual, but I remain unconvinced of the ability of some of our players at this level.

Until the end of the season I will back them vocally as much as I can. If we end up relegated, equally they will know about it!

Couldn't agree more Harry.

It's often said our players are 'gutless' or don't have enough fight, i think it's more that they're just not good enough consistently at this level, simple as that.

Nevertheless, i'm sure they'll be a great atmosphere with a packed AG willing the players on, and as we've seen before that can make all the difference.

Only ones I'd keep would be:

Heston

Baldock

Stead

Kelly

James Wilson

Cunningham

Taylor

Moloney

Anderson

(Undecided on Davies)

plus the youngn's.

The rest can do one, this club is too soft.

You seem to be labouring under a misapprehension that clubs (and our club in particular) can control the transfer market

Sadly it works like this

• all out-of-contract players will leave unless offered a new contract which is better than they believe they can get elsewhere - relegation will mean that only the weakest will consider staying
  • all players with contracts containing relegation clauses will also leave if others are prepared to improve on their reduced wages
  • all contracted players who we are obliged to pay (even in League 1) more than they can earn elsewhere will stay whether they get to play or not (Hunt, Stewart etc.) unless we bite the bullet and pay them off

In essence the core of next season's League 1 squad will be the current players no-one else wants - the extent to which this corresponds with the various lists of players to keep on this forum is unknown but it is somewhat more likely to be 100% different than 100% the same.

The challenge for SO'D in the Summer will be to quickly replace all the leaving players with others on wages of between 25% and 33% of the wages - In the long-term, if done well this will put the club on a sounder footing for the future BUT anyone who is expecting an improvement in proven quality (e.g. those who are reserving judgement on their next season ticket until they see the squad overhauled) can expect to be disappointed. I have little doubt that the incoming players will be a mixture of lower league journeymen and younger players no-one has heard of.

Frankly the only cause for short-term optimism is that our opponents will be poorer and hence the players who do survive from our current squad will look better.

It is no coincidence that players in Russell Osman's 1995 relegation squad regularly feature in the worst team ever posts on this forum - we are simply incapable of identifying how good a player is - we can only judge how well he does against the teams we get to play. We happily condemn players who fail at this level (even those who have previously succeeded for us at this level) whilst praising players from the past who never made it this far.

Lost 22 matches... says all we need to know really. .. all began during the close season when we were all going beswerk when the day rolled into weeks and the weeks into months and the season started and we all thought.. hang on... we might be in trouble here because we have the same back line.

I blame Sexstone.

Well somebody has to take the rap and it might as well be the man in charge during the rudderless voyage era.

You seem to be labouring under a misapprehension that clubs (and our club in particular) can control the transfer market

Sadly it works like this

• all out-of-contract players will leave unless offered a new contract which is better than they believe they can get elsewhere - relegation will mean that only the weakest will consider staying
  • all players with contracts containing relegation clauses will also leave if others are prepared to improve on their reduced wages
  • all contracted players who we are obliged to pay (even in League 1) more than they can earn elsewhere will stay whether they get to play or not (Hunt, Stewart etc.) unless we bite the bullet and pay them off

In essence the core of next season's League 1 squad will be the current players no-one else wants - the extent to which this corresponds with the various lists of players to keep on this forum is unknown but it is somewhat more likely to be 100% different than 100% the same.

The challenge for SO'D in the Summer will be to quickly replace all the leaving players with others on wages of between 25% and 33% of the wages - In the long-term, if done well this will put the club on a sounder footing for the future BUT anyone who is expecting an improvement in proven quality (e.g. those who are reserving judgement on their next season ticket until they see the squad overhauled) can expect to be disappointed. I have little doubt that the incoming players will be a mixture of lower league journeymen and younger players no-one has heard of.

Frankly the only cause for short-term optimism is that our opponents will be poorer and hence the players who do survive from our current squad will look better.

It is no coincidence that players in Russell Osman's 1995 relegation squad regularly feature in the worst team ever posts on this forum - we are simply incapable of identifying how good a player is - we can only judge how well he does against the teams we get to play. We happily condemn players who fail at this level (even those who have previously succeeded for us at this level) whilst praising players from the past who never made it this far.

Thank you Timbo for succinctly making the points I made elsewhere.

While it may be enticing to imagine a sparkling new L1 squad, featuring only our best players plus loads of new additions, it ain't gonna happen.

Sadly it works like this

This is all more complicated than we are making out, of course. It is highly hypothetical but my overall view is we need a mass dispanding of the squad akin to that of the Danny Wilson era due to their ultimate failure.

You've explained the reality of the situation very well but most of us don't have inside knowledge or the ability to see into the future we are merely fans exchanging opinions on the Internet :)

Good shout H. I was arguing this very point with my old man last night. New manager arrives , performances improve for a bit then the cosy club returns in full on laid back mode.

My old man reckons they're all just shite , but then , he's been suffering City for nearly 60 years !!

Your old man is not wrong.

Archived