IGNORED

Where It All Went Wrong.

notsobigfatdave

I have to say one thing I find annoying when people talk about Lansdown is how he's saved us or we should be grateful etc. The facts are is that he and his board are the ones who ultimately have the final say how money is spent so the debt is their fault, not ours as supporters. SL has a patchy record of employing managers and next year we'll be right back where we were when he first took over.

All of us here are football supporters of Bristol City, paying customers in business terms. We don't have any say at all in how the club is run, who they sign, how much wages they pay, how much tickets cost and the big list goes on. The only thing we have is our opinions and most will agree these past few years have been awful so who do we hold responsible? SL and his board.

I have huge respect for SL and I think he is a great business man but in the same light I think his business head has had a bad effect on the sporting side. He became focused on the whole world cup/new stadium when we really should have use the play off season as a platform and totally focus on improving on that. I don't want to totally blame SL for where we are heading but realistically he and his board need to take a high percentage of the blame.

Agree with this, Its not Lansdown bashing before people say anything but his decisions have been questionable to awful regarding managers etc. How he stuck with Johnson for so long was baffling especially after the dross what was being churned 3 months before he went is just one example.

When SL bought the land for the new stadium and we got planning permission, no one expected the NIMBYs to lie through their teeth and certainly no one expected the Inspector to believe those lies.

That's at the centre of all our problems and both the inspector and the NIMBYs have much to answer for.

It started to go wrong when Basso and GJ had their fall out! It was all down hill from there/that approximate period.

The heart that kept the fans and players believing we could punch above our weight was ripped out and it was only a matter of time before we were in trouble. The dressing room was lost and the defeat at Plymouth sealed GJ's fate.

Coppell Millen and MCInness followed all of whom really were not very good. They all made awful signings (or signings that became awful) and today became inevitable.

The board appointing all of these guys take some blame and SL really should bring in a director of football if we want to get back challenging again quickly....Its not over til its over and I am old enough to remember 77 clearly, so fingers crossed for a miracle and best wishes to SOD who I believe to be the best man for this kind of job!!

COYR

Failure from the board under successive managers to invest in the squad by signing better, and therefore more expensive players.

Steve Lansdown got his fingers burned when Gary Johnson's time at City went tits up. Johnson was given pretty much a clear reign at City along with a 4 year deal and it was Johnson's failure to strengthen adequately after the play-off season that started the decline.

Since his departure the board have been far more unwilling to pay the wages required to sign better quality players. Amougou and Cisse spring to mind. Its as if the the lessons learnt by Johnson's decline are still affecting their judgements. Its as if they are trying to do everything with one eye on the bank balance.

How long were the club looking for a decent center half? Bloody ages and still haven't signed one and guess what? City are facing relegation. Lack of investment in the playing squad is a serious cause of the clubs demise.

I agree totally with Robbored on this. Clearly GJ did not strengthen, midfield and defence, goalkeeping and striker. Coppell did bail out rather than face the mess we had got into. Millen was the worst choice of manager ever. McInnes was an utter failure, had the club been is a better state, he might have succeeded, but hes failed.

We have a poor squad, poor morale, and it will be a very long time before we are a force again. SL wont bankroll the club now, as he did before, way way too much money has been wasted by Wilson, Tinnion, Johnson, Coppell, Millen & McInnes. Poor signings on lots of wedge..

Key positions have not been filled going back to Wilsons day...

Lansdown could . He's seriously rich and could do a Jack Walker if he was prepared to do so. SR is right.

No hes not, Walker eventually pulled out, as have Majeski, Whelan, Mandaric as well as other rich owners, and look at the state of some of the clubs abandoned. Blackburn is a joke now, Reading & Wigan are struggling. Ask Pompey fans about rich chairmen. You and SR are wrong. Have either of you invested in Bristol City, other than via the ST?

The decline started when the final whistle went at Wembley. I believe that had we finished 17/18th that season expectations and rhetoric from within the club's hierarchy would have been more realistic and measured. Johnson also signed some absolute guff and started an alarming trend of gambling with foreign players from mediocre leagues and reserves from other Championship clubs eg. Nyatanga, Haynes, Campbell-Ryce, Styvar, etc etc lumbering the club with contracted players on a decent wedge WHO WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO MOVE THE CLUB FORWARD. Successive managers have shown indifferent and average players too much loyalty.

There have been bad appointments, with too many back room staff being recruited/paid off since 2008 and signings like Hunt, James and Stewart etc were a huge financial drain with negligible returns. Selling Maynard for less than we paid for him was poor business. The list just goes on........

Spot on Andy, couldnt put it better..

Forget where it went wrong....!!!!

We are where we are...

Many a club would want a SL behind them...

It's where we go from here.. If we stay up.. Great we will definitely develop under SoD...

And same too if we fall..

SoD will bring back any chance we have of pushing on..

Where did it all go wrong?.it's simple.

GJ overnight after the play off turned from a manager who had worked wonders into a manager who believed he was the messiah.

Coppell came in believing he was the messiah and realised he wasn't.

Millen overnight turned from a manager who had done a good job under difficult circumstances into a manager who also thought he was the messiah.

Mcinnes (ala Millen).

Firstly forget about Coppell I have already airbrushed him out of BCFC's history.

The common denominators:- All of them obsessed with wingers and strikers and many of them completely sub standard, they all had belief that they were so supreme they could convert proven goal scorers into different types of player Trundle, Pitman, Davies and Woods. All of them believed they could play players completely out of their normal position and that it would work. None of them addressed the real mind bogglingly obvious problems within the squad, centre back and centre midfield and all of them and it seems SOD as well believe they are such immaculate miracle workers that they can actually cure our midfield by the laying on of hands of Elliott and Skuse and making them into an efficient midfield pairing when 4/5 years of evidence says otherwise.

Yes the players have a case to answer but the managers constantly made decisions, signings, selections and tactics that many of us just could not comprehend and then repeated those mistakes week in week out, believing that their messiah like qualities would return, because they were like the pope infallible.

Simples.

GJ overnight after the play off turned from a manager who had worked wonders into a manager who believed he was the messiah.

Millen overnight turned from a manager who had done a good job under difficult circumstances into a manager who also thought he was the messiah.

Mcinnes (ala Millen).

Firstly forget about Coppell I have already airbrushed him out of BCFC's history.

The common denominators:- All of them obsessed with wingers and strikers and many of them completely sub standard, they all had belief that they were so supreme they could convert proven goal scorers into different types of player Trundle, Pitman, Davies and Woods. All of them believed they could play players completely out of their normal position and that it would work. None of them addressed the real mind bogglingly obvious problems within the squad, centre back and centre midfield and all of them and it seems SOD as well believe they are such immaculate miracle workers that they can actually cure our midfield by the laying on of hands of Elliott and Skuse and making them into an efficient midfield pairing when 4/5 years of evidence says otherwise.

Yes the players have a case to answer but the managers constantly made decisions, signings, selections and tactics that many of us just could not comprehend and then repeated those mistakes week in week out, believing that their messiah like qualities would return, because they were like the pope infallible.

Simples.

**** me. When you put it that way, its hard to disagree with any of that.

Mcinnes (ala Millen).

Simples.

They are all football managers, therefore they believe playing players out of position is proof of their sophisticated tactical knowledge and far too subtle for us plebs to understand. Keith "Look at all my coaching certificates" Millen was the master at it. The fact that most of those players look utterly baffled in positions they are used to seems to pass them by.

For me, the rot this season started at Barnsley, played badly 1st half, they scored and although we battered them, we blew it as usual.

Then we followed that up we a stupid 5-3 defeat at home against Blackburn when we should have held out for a point.

We managed to scrape a 2-1 win at Peterborough but also had Cunningham injured which aggrovated the defensive problems we had.

A decent draw at a (on the night) poor Watford and then the collapse.

Archived