IGNORED

Where It All Went Wrong.

notsobigfatdave

Most of us are blaming the players and to some extent they have to have a good long look at themselves. However much of the blame must go with the board and their successive poor appointments after GJ exited. None of them have been able to motivate the Players we have available and have made some very strange decisions in the marketplace during their tenure.

We all were sucked, nay duped into believing this new stadium business was our salvation the goose which lays the golden egg and the whole future of BCFC hinged upon its success. We all know now that its never going to materialise and that the board rather than invest properly in the club invested in a dead duck ( or goose if you like) Some one intended to make a lot of money out of developing AG and it wasn't BCFC.

When Coppell decided to leave, because he wasn't given the big investment for players he was promised, the board should have realised then that to replace him with inexperience was absolute folly. KM & DM were a very ill-conceived choices, Scottish Football being absolute rubbish in comparison to even DIV 1 standard.

The Boards failure to properly invest in the future of BCFC has caused this demise and mark my words, we will languish in the Bottom tiers for the next few years until investment commensurate with a City club the status of Bristol deserves.

In short the owners need to decide if they are going to pursue spurious development opportunities or properly run a football club in a city with a potentially massive fan base that really deserves better.

If the answer is the former then they should be looking to cut their losses, put the Club on the Market and move on, because all they have done is put us back 50 years.!

Failure from the board under successive managers to invest in the squad by signing better, and therefore more expensive players.

Steve Lansdown got his fingers burned when Gary Johnson's time at City went tits up. Johnson was given pretty much a clear reign at City along with a 4 year deal and it was Johnson's failure to strengthen adequately after the play-off season that started the decline.

Since his departure the board have been far more unwilling to pay the wages required to sign better quality players. Amougou and Cisse spring to mind. Its as if the the lessons learnt by Johnson's decline are still affecting their judgements. Its as if they are trying to do everything with one eye on the bank balance.

How long were the club looking for a decent center half? Bloody ages and still haven't signed one and guess what? City are facing relegation. Lack of investment in the playing squad is a serious cause of the clubs demise.

I thought we were at a Championship crossroads when Coppell was appointed. For what ever reason it didn't work out and we have seriously struggled ever since.

Huge optimism turned into huge deflation in the space of a couple of weeks.

I'd love to know what happened there. I've got my own thoughts on what went on but daren't post them on here !!

I'd love to know what happened there. I've got my own thoughts on what went on but daren't post them on here !!

Same here - obviously there are people in the know (as this stuff gets out easily) but I am no clearer as to what happened, the appointment and doing/not doing the job whilst holidaying, moving etc all still seems ridicously weird.

Yeah, it would be intresting. Whatever happened it coincided with us turning from a mid to upper table Championship side into relegation fodder.

4th

10th

10th

Hi Steve, bye Steve

15th

20th

Bottom

See my post Miracle Required

IMO, the club will never be successful with Lansdown at the helm - too safe. Lansdown is reportedly worth £750m (richest people), so the money he has loaned to the club, around £40m is peanuts to him (think of it as loaning someone £40 from your £750 savings). It's also peanuts in the world of modern professional football.

His track record in selecting and supporting managers has been poor to say the least. It may well be that the likes of McInnes and So'D have identified players but either the club refuse to pay the fee, the wage or is simply not attractive enough for a player to come.

Lansdown needs to decide whether he wants success for the club, or whether he's happy for it to languish in the lower divisions, instead of the Premier League, where all the success and the income is. Investment is what is needed, and a lot more than £40m.

SimplyRed you talk about 40 m as if it is nothing and seem to fail to realise exactly what Steve Lansdown has done for you. At least you have retained under him the Colours you play in or would you rather be like Cardiff? There are clubs in the Championship and in fact the Premiership who have survived and are surviving on far less than what Steve Lansdown has put in to your club and whilst I see what you say about having to put a lot more than 40m in to your club to make it successful but how about "Living within your means"? You have debt (yes that's what it is) of 41m to one man. The only possible way that you could EVER get taken over now is by a "foreign" invester and like Cardiff have found out you don't get that for nothing.

Without doubt you are a middle to top League 1 side punching over your weight in the financial position you are in and that being the same as we are a mid to bottom League 1 side punching under our weight.

For a City the size of Bristol we should both be Championship sides but unfortunately (or fortunately for many sides) football doesn't go on the size of your City.Think yourselves lucky that Lansdowns money has at least given you the chance to be playing in the Championship.

IMO, the club will never be successful with Lansdown at the helm - too safe. Lansdown is reportedly worth £750m (richest people), so the money he has loaned to the club, around £40m is peanuts to him (think of it as loaning someone £40 from your £750 savings). It's also peanuts in the world of modern professional football.

His track record in selecting and supporting managers has been poor to say the least. It may well be that the likes of McInnes and So'D have identified players but either the club refuse to pay the fee, the wage or is simply not attractive enough for a player to come.

Lansdown needs to decide whether he wants success for the club, or whether he's happy for it to languish in the lower divisions, instead of the Premier League, where all the success and the income is. Investment is what is needed, and a lot more than £40m.

Most of the 750m is in shares of H&L.The best managers don't need that much to turn a club around with out lansdown we would be screwed.

You cant just spend silly money anymore

SimplyRed you talk about 40 m as if it is nothing and seem to fail to realise exactly what Steve Lansdown has done for you. At least you have retained under him the Colours you play in or would you rather be like Cardiff? There are clubs in the Championship and in fact the Premier League who have survived and are surviving on far less than what Steve Lansdown has put in to your club and whilst I see what you say about having to put a lot more than 40m in to your club to make it successful but how about "Living within your means"? You have debt (yes that's what it is) of 41m to one man. The only possible way that you could EVER get taken over now is by a "foreign" invester and like Cardiff have found out you don't get that for nothing.

Without doubt you are a middle to top League 1 side punching over your weight in the financial position you are in and that being the same as we are a mid to bottom League 1 side punching under our weight.

For a City the size of Bristol we should both be Championship sides but unfortunately (or fortunately for many sides) football doesn't go on the size of your City.Think yourselves lucky that Lansdowns money has at least given you the chance to be playing in the Championship.

Friendly gas, while i agree some should be more gratefull for landsdowns input, it is hard to argue against the fact that he has spent his money unwisely. As for your comment about us being a mid table league one side? load of old rubbish, the last couple of decades show that we are usually near the top of that division when we are in it, and tend to go between league one and championship level, the matter of the fact is that we are punching well bellow our weight with the budget we have had. Your mob on the other hand are throughout history, a mid table league one outfit- AT BEST.

The decline started when the final whistle went at Wembley. I believe that had we finished 17/18th that season expectations and rhetoric from within the club's hierarchy would have been more realistic and measured. Johnson also signed some absolute guff and started an alarming trend of gambling with foreign players from mediocre leagues and reserves from other Championship clubs eg. Nyatanga, Haynes, Campbell-Ryce, Styvar, etc etc lumbering the club with contracted players on a decent wedge WHO WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO MOVE THE CLUB FORWARD. Successive managers have shown indifferent and average players too much loyalty.

There have been bad appointments, with too many back room staff being recruited/paid off since 2008 and signings like Hunt, James and Stewart etc were a huge financial drain with negligible returns. Selling Maynard for less than we paid for him was poor business. The list just goes on........

Cider Red I didn't say you were a mid table League 1 side ,I said you were a mid table to top League 1 side and we were a mid table to bottom League 1 side.and yes I agree with you that you have had periods in the Championship or old League 2 however if you look at the last 30 years it is clear that without Lansdowns investment it is very unlikely you would have either got promoted to the Championship or one season gone close to getting in the Premiership. The problem is that to either continue that success it would probably have needed double or triple the investment that Lansdown has made together with some luck that is required with such things as Management appointments. Money,of course can't guarantee success but since the Premiership has been formed it definitely needs a great deal of money to become successful. IMO the Premiership and the influx of foreign players and Sky has a lot to answer for as with that it has become a lot harder for teams like ours to have any sort of success and in fact sustaining it. The money given to teams who actually reach the Premiership gives those clubs a huge advantage even when they come down.

It is in these terms that I mean you are punching above your weight in the Championship and we are punching under our weight in League 2.

I have always said at the end of the day, it's down to the board. As they are the one's who choose the manager. I could have said the one instead of the one's. As SL always had the final say.

But for me it really started to go wrong when we got involved with Ashton Vale. That became the focus at not what was going on down at Ashton Gate.Don't get me wrong I would love the club to be moving into a new ground. But what has been said before a 25,000 ground is fine if you are pushing towards the premiership. But not if you are in mid table in Div 1.

Plenty of people on this thread wise after the event, but - like me - thought McInnes sounded like a real managerial prospect when he joined.

Check back on the archive here for a long list of Otib members who considered him slightly above sliced bread back along.

Of course, we all underestimated the sheer rubbishness of Scottish football. Tinnion could probably have a successful management career up there!

Why anyone expects Steve Lansdown and his board to have some intrinsic football intuition that makes them wiser than the majority of fans, I don't know.

Not anymore.

Come back when you have a clue.

He could. There would be massive financial penalties, but the option is there.

Not that it would happen of course and wages were a lot lot lower when Jack did it.

You need middle east money now. Not back pocket change (in comparison) Lansdown money. Or a team that takes their once in a lifetime chance on low resources. Such as Hull and Blackpool.

Its not just fines though. You can be teansfer embargoed, so it really is impossible to just pay the fines and abuse the system.

You can. But it doesn't stand up as a big hindrance. Check Swindon. Get your shopping done and live with the short lived embargo.

I thought we were at a Championship crossroads when Coppell was appointed. For what ever reason it didn't work out and we have seriously struggled ever since.

Huge optimism turned into huge deflation in the space of a couple of weeks.

Coppell was neglected by SL and felt isolated. And as we know he got annoyed he couldn't sign the players he wanted when SL has already paid out silly wages on David James.

Cider Red I didn't say you were a mid table League 1 side ,I said you were a mid table to top League 1 side and we were a mid table to bottom League 1 side.and yes I agree with you that you have had periods in the Championship or old League 2 however if you look at the last 30 years it is clear that without Lansdowns investment it is very unlikely you would have either got promoted to the Championship or one season gone close to getting in the Premier League. The problem is that to either continue that success it would probably have needed double or triple the investment that Lansdown has made together with some luck that is required with such things as Management appointments. Money,of course can't guarantee success but since the Premier League has been formed it definitely needs a great deal of money to become successful. IMO the Premier League and the influx of foreign players and Sky has a lot to answer for as with that it has become a lot harder for teams like ours to have any sort of success and in fact sustaining it. The money given to teams who actually reach the Premier League gives those clubs a huge advantage even when they come down.

It is in these terms that I mean you are punching above your weight in the Championship and we are punching under our weight in League 2.

You are exactly where you belong.. League 2!! Pikey ****ing club!!!

Archived