IGNORED

Warnock As Director Of Football ?

jjcarrera1974

Taken from Teamtalk today

"Warnock, 64, hinted that his managerial career may be over but he is likely to remain in the game for some time.

He added: "I've got a young family and I want to relax a bit. But I do feel now, especially with the tenure of managers being so short, that there is a massive gap between the owners of a club and the manager himself and I don't think there is enough expertise in between those two roles.

"I do think, even if it's only a couple of days a week, I can help somebody. I'm sure there is somebody that would be crying out for that sort of role."

Over the past few years I think we've been crying out for this kind of experience ... He lives down south, has a wealth of great experience, and we have a good "Coach" in place.

Go and get him City Directors (so long as Sean can work with him ?)

Might work with a younger coach in place , like Rovers had with Lawrence and Trollope but I can't see it working here. SOD and Colin are too different in my opinion , to be able to forge a close enough relationship.

As it happens , I think SOD would make a good DoF for someone.

He was touting himself on talksport this morning for a DoF role

Anywhere from South West, to the Midlands, to the south coast, to London. Not desperate in any way, shape or form! As others have said, not with SOD, but with a younger manager I think he'd do a great job

Was very scathing about Mark Hughes replacing him at Leeds and 'ripping apart another of my teams' - not bitter in any way, with is good to see!

A) I think Colin is over-rated

B) He's a pryke

C) There's no way his personality would allow him to work as part of a management team. It's all about Colin in Colin world. He'd undermine Sean and cause massive disharmony, just when we need to get team cohesion going.

Warnock as DoF to Millen would have helped a lot.... As others have said its hard to see SOD and Colin together but you never know. They could be the ultimate "Odd Couple"!

I've just got this funny feeling that Colin will surface here one day......

Not while SOD's here, and that'll be for a while. Colin will be retired by then. I would think he could do a good job for Plymouth and live at home, whether his wife would welcome that........................

We've been soft for to long, someone like Warnock would be better than a yes man, we need someone to challenge the board, not be a puppet.

That's the problem..... We appoint nice managers! Maybe SOD will prove different but so far he seems comfortable to work with the general downsizing of all things first team related. Makes sense as he gets a fresh start in L1.

That's the problem..... We appoint nice managers! Maybe SOD will prove different but so far he seems comfortable to work with the general downsizing of all things first team related. Makes sense as he gets a fresh start in L1.

Exactly, i'm willing to give SOD a chance, but we need someone to come in who will challenge the dumb asses at the top and get his point across for the betterment of our club, Warnock would make a great DoF!

Colin's philosophy (if you can call it that) is to create sides with high levels of team spirit and thrives on creating an 'us vs them' (for want of the correct word - divisive?) mentality amonst his players who respond by going out and playing like thugs (surprised it didn't work out at Leeds!). He is an excellent man-manager in that respect with excellent motivational abilities but his approach depends on the strength of his personality in the dressing room. He is not a background kinda guy neither do I think he has much actual footballing nous.

His approach seems polar-opposite to SOD's anyway, not to mention he is also a c***.

I can't see how he'd be suited to that kind of role anywhere, it looks as though he's just trying to create a job for himself.

Can't see it happening with SOD as others have said, so am happy to stick as we are.

That been said, there's a lot of nonsense talked about Colin - he has a very good record at this level and has achieved promotions from this division a number of times. SOD, by comparison, can't boast anything like Colin's record - until, that is, he leads City into the Prem.

Colin's philosophy (if you can call it that) is to create sides with high levels of team spirit and thrives on creating an 'us vs them' (for want of the correct word - divisive?) mentality amonst his players who respond by going out and playing like thugs (surprised it didn't work out at Leeds!). He is an excellent man-manager in that respect with excellent motivational abilities but his approach depends on the strength of his personality in the dressing room. He is not a background kinda guy neither do I think he has much actual footballing nous.

His approach seems polar-opposite to SOD's anyway, not to mention he is also a c***.

I can't see how he'd be suited to that kind of role anywhere, it looks as though he's just trying to create a job for himself.

SOD can get us to play pretty football, Colin can motivate us!!

Perfect partnership!

SOD can get us to play pretty football, Colin can motivate us!!

Perfect partnership!

:D

I was listening to Talkshite earlier and they were on about how Saracens' head coach thought it a good idea to bring a couple of real live wolves into the dressing room to motivate his players and reinforce the idea of a pack mentality. Class! He claimed he was regularly doing stuff like that to help keep things fresh.

Why is shit like this even discussed? This is plausibly the worst, least likely suggestion I have ever heard.

Here's a more realistic and completely hypothetical point. If our season falls further apart, we don't win again for example..... How many people would be happy to gamble on bringing Colin in as manager in exchange for paying off SOD's one year.

I would (unashamedly I've always thought he'd do a job here. The most similar manager we've had was GJ...... And look where that got us/almost got us).

Here's a more realistic and completely hypothetical point. If our season falls further apart, we don't win again for example..... How many people would be happy to gamble on bringing Colin in as manager in exchange for paying off SOD's one year.

I would (unashamedly I've always thought he'd do a job here. The most similar manager we've had was GJ...... And look where that got us/almost got us).

Never in a million years, Colin is a dinosaur, a thankfully dying breed. Football is moving past his short term, negative and in cultured era and it will be all the better for it. SOD is a man who will develop this club top to bottom and leave us in a better place over all than he found it.

Haven't read the responses but I get the general impression that Warnock is the sort of manager who is an excellent motivator, getting the best out of his players and heavily focusing on the task at hand, whether that be gaining promotion or surviving relegation. He would have been a good manager to have come in say December/January (theoretically of course) to get the players really scrapping for their lives. However, I don't think he is the guy we need at the club now for a rebuilding process, which I believe SOD should be better suited at. I don't think he's a visionary or a planner. There's definitely something short-terminismey I feel about Warnock - so I feel he wouldn't be the greatest DoF regardless of club.

Warnock as DoF to Millen would have helped a lot.... As others have said its hard to see SOD and Colin together but you never know. They could be the ultimate "Odd Couple"!

I've just got this funny feeling that Colin will surface here one day......

I sincerely hope not....unless it's on the pitch at half-time, naked, on his knees, begging us to forgive him for being a grade A **** his entire managerial career. I wouldn't mind that being a Cat A game!

Archived