IGNORED

Lewin Nyatanga

real_bristol

His career has stagnated at City, and I can't see him wanting to stay. Equally he has not been a value signing, so think it's best for both parties that he moves on. As for Gerken, good shot stopper on his day, don't have a problem with him if he's our #1 next season.

:source:

There have been a number of threads discussing this, including, I seem to remember, when an 'ITK' poster claimed to have heard it from the player himself.

Can't find that one, but this one - although no confirmed source - makes interesting reading:

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/150041-disharmony-within-the-camp-over-wages/

I suppose we'll all make own minds up what the reality is most likely to be, but you do have to wonder why a local boy 'City fan' has apparently been so loath to re-sign for the club.

Most people here are blaming the defence. Its painfully obvious that the big problem is the midfield players.

Fans moan about another long wayward pass by a centre back but what about the midfielder dropping into space demanding the ball or a midfielder actually linking up defence with attack ?

Only Pearson does it and that's the difference between him and Kelly , Skuse and Elliott.

I cannot see any difference between say Hudson of Cardiff and Tangs yet they will be two divisions apart next season.

The midfield has been sub standard since the likes of Sno and Hartley.

Hes improved so much though in 4 years, hes a different player from the one i saw join us and hes still only 24? it would make little sense getting rid, simply because you don't like him hoofing the ball... hes a solid defender and would be a real asset in league 1! plus i still believe that its not JUST him deciding to hoof the ball, other factors come into play as most players in our team are guilty of doing that too! plus our midfield are so useless they never present a decent opportunity for our back line to pass to, at feet or into space!

Doesn't hide the fact he's been an essential figure in one of the worst defence city has had in years. Yes players around him don't help, but they don't help themselves at all. Apart from Sheffield Wednesdays awful defenders you see any other teams defence hoofing it aimlessly into the air? They have some qualities on the ball, bringing it forward, dribbling even finding the odd long ball pass.. never just skying it in to thin air. Jurys out for him, and his twin.

Most people here are blaming the defence. Its painfully obvious that the big problem is the midfield players.

Fans moan about another long wayward pass by a centre back but what about the midfielder dropping into space demanding the ball or a midfielder actually linking up defence with attack ?

Only Pearson does it and that's the difference between him and Kelly , Skuse and Elliott.

I cannot see any difference between say Hudson of Cardiff and Tangs yet they will be two divisions apart next season.

The midfield has been sub standard since the likes of Sno and Hartley.

There's about a million differences between them, but I'll say one.

Hudson actually scored the odd goal from corners/freekicks.. Does Nyatanga or any of our defence thinking about it? Do they even offer some sort of threat?

Hes improved so much though in 4 years, hes a different player from the one i saw join us and hes still only 24? it would make little sense getting rid, simply because you don't like him hoofing the ball... hes a solid defender and would be a real asset in league 1! plus i still believe that its not JUST him deciding to hoof the ball, other factors come into play as most players in our team are guilty of doing that too! plus our midfield are so useless they never present a decent opportunity for our back line to pass to, at feet or into space!

All this talk of hoofball reminds me of the sags making their first move to flog a ground built in rememberance of Bristolians who gave their lives for our country.

Bristol Rugby kindly offered to move the large netting that stands behind what is now the Tent End, preventing convesions getting lost in the streets of Whorfield, just to make it feel more authentically like a football ground. Needless to say, it was agreed there was no need to remove the netting.

Joke that club, ain't they?

Hudson actually scored the odd goal from corners/freekicks.. Does Nyatanga or any of our defence thinking about it? Do they even offer some sort of threat?

didn't both our central defenders score against Barnsley?

People only have to look at the Blue Few to realise what "could" happen if we get rid of everybody and bring in 19 new players like Buckle did. Had they kept Buckle they would be a Conference club at this very moment.

I think we will see a clearout but not as big as some are expecting. Wouldn't be surprised to see Nyatanga and Gerken stay at all reading betwen the lines of what is going on down the Gate.

I actually think Gerken gets a raw deal on here by people with little knowledge of goalkeeping and would be no problem at all as a League 1 number 1. His main problem really is that when he has a bad game he doesn't do it by half - his bad games tend to be shockers!! Otherwise he is normally a dependable keeper (especially in League 1) and, if you are prepared to judge him fairly rather than with pre-conceived and ill thought out ideas that he's just rubbish, you would accept that he has his share of outstanding games such as Ipswich, Derby, Forest and Newcastle to match his shockers against Blackpool, Leicester and possibly Gillingham.

I just think a lot of people on here don't understand football... Centre Backs are not easy to find, as we've proved over a number of years trying to sign one! you DO NOT get rid of a 24 year old Centre Back, who has improved an awful lot during a short space of time, with bags of Championship experience, in league 1! realistically, who will we find or be able to afford in league 1 better than Nyatanga? with his pedigree? no one! we need to keep him and build the defense around him, not cut our noses off to spite our face! think about it people.

If we go down, keep Nyatanga - his increasing ability can be cultivated and experience down there should add another string to his bow.

Bear in mind he will have to be alot stronger if we were to go down - he has a tendency to hoof but boy some of those passes on Monday (not saturday) were perfectly weighted, just a shame alot were cut out in the air. He, at times, hit the space between fullback and centre-back well and brought Baldock into the game fantastically when it worked early on.

Gerken is a different story, a good goalkeeper yes - a definite number one at league one level. We should take the opportunity to try and build though with a younger keeper. On his day, Gerken is at best a low end championship goalkeeper, he isn't consisten enough to prove any higher - credit to him for the performances he's put in when they've salvaged points though.

Sadly, you are missing the point

People only have to look at the Blue Few to realise what "could" happen if we get rid of everybody and bring in 19 new players like Buckle did. Had they kept Buckle they would be a Conference club at this very moment.

I think we will see a clearout but not as big as some are expecting. Wouldn't be surprised to see Nyatanga and Gerken stay at all reading betwen the lines of what is going on down the Gate.

I actually think Gerken gets a raw deal on here by people with little knowledge of goalkeeping and would be no problem at all as a League 1 number 1. His main problem really is that when he has a bad game he doesn't do it by half - his bad games tend to be shockers!! Otherwise he is normally a dependable keeper (especially in League 1) and, if you are prepared to judge him fairly rather than with pre-conceived and ill thought out ideas that he's just rubbish, you would accept that he has his share of outstanding games such as Ipswich, Derby, Forest and Newcastle to match his shockers against Blackpool, Leicester and possibly Gillingham.

I'm a goalkeeper he isn't a good one, he is just a slightly better version of steve phillips, good shot stopper but crap on crosses, free kicks, can't control his area or orginise his defense,

He has very good distrabution however,

I have been one of Nyatanga's biggest critics in the past, especially before SoD arrived. I completely understand the views of some on here of the opinion that we should get rid of all the players who are used to having a losing mentality though.

However, I never thought I would say it, but since the arrival of SoD I have been very impressed with Nyatanga. Looks a completely different player to me. He appears confident, always wants the ball or prepared to try and bring the ball out from the back, often on the front foot and seems to be physically stronger and has a better positional sense.

I have never seen this from him, not even a glimmer of it ever since he arrived. Under GJ, KM and DM he looked absolutely lost. He would often hide and treat the ball like a hot potato, and to be honest look like he either didn't care or that he would have rather been anywhere else other than on the pitch.

For me, his age is a positive. I get so wound up by people accepting poor players and constantly willing to give players or journeymen who are not good enough countless chances. This is something we need to get away from as a club. We do however need to be realistic. How long have we been searching for a decent centre half? If we just get rid of everyone are we likely to get a lot better? Especially as it's more than likely it will be in the league one. I would love to see a ball winner sign for us, but not a completely donkey who shanks it out at any given opportunity. I didn't think I would ever say this, but he is worth keeping if we go down. For me, anyway.

I would get rid of if possible....

Foster

J Wilson

Bates

Pearson

Kilkenny

Skuse(unless he accepts lower terms)

Stead(unless he accepts lower terms, although I would love him to stay)

Fontaine

Elliott

There probably will be others I can't think of right now. Obviously we will cash in on Albert, and I am still unsure about Louis. Having been there and done it his experience could be vital, but maybe that's my heart ruling my head.

If only he can learn to kick the ball out to a red shirt, he'd be a very handy defender.

Still,I rate S O'D's coaching prowess, there's still time....

And if only the red shirts weren't hiding away in the hope that they wouldn't get the ball...

Archived