IGNORED

Pass The Ball

where's the joy

"if god had intended football to be played in the air he would not have invented grass"........so said brain clough many years ago.

our inability to stay up this year matches our inability to pass the ball on the floor to each other.

tinnion could do it, gavin could do it, kellard could do it.......but in our current team not one player is skilled at passing.

what is SOD renowned for? passing the ball.

when we last went to wembley only to lose the Hull, i stayed over and next day saw Leeds get played off the park by the passing and movement of Doncaster. a team created in his style by SOD.

so lets be cheerful.....the best result we have had this season has been the 4 nil loss to leicester because it forced to the board to sack Mc Innes.

next year SOD will teach a new team to cherish possesion and pass the ball to team mates.

and for the first time in 40 odd years of watching city i am really looking forward to seeing football played in the new bristol city way.......

let our hearts be glad just once this season!

Great positivity there WtJ and let's hope he can do what he's done with his previous clubs. It really depends on him shifting out as much dross as he can possibly offload, and bring in a few people who are actually capable of doing what a footballer is paid very well to do!

I'm with you on the positivity. The problem at present is, we're all still coming to terms with the inevitable relegation, after holding on to the hope that this could have been turned round, as the opportunities have come, but the team haven't had it in them to grasp it. That's why there are so many on a real downer right now.

Once the dust has settled and this season thankfully come to an end, I think a lot more people will be able to focus on the one positive we've had this year ......... that we've at last got a manager who's idea of how football should be played pretty much matches the views of the majority of our fans.

Let's just hope people are realistic and don't expect us to walk away with League 1 next year, because it's sure to be a long hard slog.

Kilkenny is one current City player who can pass the ball but he does it too slowly and O'Driscoll said something along those lines in one of his cryptic interviews a while back.

To pay the passing game effectively ( ala Swansea when they beat us 0-2 at AG two seasons ago) a team needs players who are comfortable with the ball at their feet and who can also move and pass at different tempo's. O'Driscoll will have to start from scratch if he wants City playing that way.

Can you imagine Elliot passing and moving? :dunno: I'll leave that one up to you.

To see anything like the sort of football the original poster wants will need a complete shift in the type of playing personnel we have. A complete sort out in midfield will be needed for a start with players who are comfortable on the ball. Ditto the Centre Half positions. Do you get these types of player in League 1? "Clubs in the bag" who can do a bit or something specific but poor at everything else will need to be a thing of the past. Can we "afford" that and will those types of players want to come to us?

Our best hope is that the likes of Bryan, Reid, Burns etc. are able to fit into a passing philosophy and style because there aren't too many first team players at the club presently who do. Bryan, who has been getting rave reviews at Plymouth (League 2 granted), has been allowed to stay there for the rest of the season. Have we missed an opportunity to bring the kid back and give him three or four more games at Championship level in preparation for next season? Because whichever "senior" player he would have replaced has hardly been ripping up the division have they?

Our best hope is that the likes of Bryan, Reid, Burns etc. are able to fit into a passing philosophy and style because there aren't too many first team players at the club presently who do. Bryan, who has been getting rave reviews at Plymouth (League 2 granted), has been allowed to stay there for the rest of the season. Have we missed an opportunity to bring the kid back and give him three or four more games at Championship level in preparation for next season? Because whichever "senior" player he would have replaced has hardly been ripping up the division have they?

No, I think the club made the right choice in letting him stay till the end of the season. IMO opionion it would be far more beneficial for him to stay in a team where he's playing very welling in and consistently winning in. He's developing well, bringing him back how could disrupt that, I think its far better he stayed there.

No, I think the club made the right choice in letting him stay till the end of the season. IMO opionion it would be far more beneficial for him to stay in a team where he's playing very welling in and consistently winning in. He's developing well, bringing him back how could disrupt that, I think its far better he stayed there.

I can understand that point of view but my thinking is that we'll probably be expecting him to slot straight in when we are in League 1 next season. I actually thought he was developing well in our side under McInnes as it was but O'Driscoll fancied experience over youth and, as I suspected, it hasn't exactly paid dividends. Hindsight I accept but all we have done is prioritise appearances to players who will not be with the club next season and have spectacularly failed for us in the forlorn hope we would get results over the development of a young lad who looks like he has a future in the game. 20 odd games in the Championship would have moved that lad on a lot quicker than a dozen in League 2, in my opinion of course.

Kilkenny is one current City player who can pass the ball but he does it too slowly and O'Driscoll said something along those lines in one of his cryptic interviews a while back.

To pay the passing game effectively ( ala Swansea when they beat us 0-2 at AG two seasons ago) a team needs players who are comfortable with the ball at their feet and who can also move and pass at different tempo's. O'Driscoll will have to start from scratch if he wants City playing that way.

Can you imagine Elliot passing and moving? :dunno: I'll leave that one up to you.

I saw the team for the first time this season on Satuday (aside from the Hull game on TV) and I couldn't believe how bad they were at passing. Not one player seemed capable of playing a simple pass nor of moving into a good position to receive one, at least until Kilkenny came on. The pass from Davies to Adomah for the goal was good but it was especially notable for being about the only decent pass in the first half.

O'Driscoll has already said he's had to adopt a direct approach because he can't play a passing game with this team. Whether that's because they're low on confidence and he hasn't had a chance to work with them properly, or because they're all awful players, I don't know, but I'd be surprised if they're all completely incapable of passing the ball.

I saw the team for the first time this season on Satuday (aside from the Hull game on TV) and I couldn't believe how bad they were at passing. Not one player seemed capable of playing a simple pass nor of moving into a good position to receive one, at least until Kilkenny came on. The pass from Davies to Adomah for the goal was good but it was especially notable for being about the only decent pass in the first half.

O'Driscoll has already said he's had to adopt a direct approach because he can't play a passing game with this team. Whether that's because they're low on confidence and he hasn't had a chance to work with them properly, or because they're all awful players, I don't know, but I'd be surprised if they're all completely incapable of passing the ball.

Remind me again how much these useless ******s are paid? Isn't that a basic footballing skill?

I really can't wait for this season to be over with. And to be honest, I really couldn't care when the next one starts

I hate to say for the first time in supporting City for 26 years, I feel the same.

We are all a tad disillusioned with relegation staring us in face and its no surprise that so many fans are questioning their commitment to City next season but I'm optimistic that O'Driscoll will be able to make next season a successful one. He has an excellent track record in the lower leagues and on a budget as well. He also builds teams that actually play passing football.

I'm confident that if City get off to a good start we'll the fans returning to AG.

I remember a few seasons ago, with the likes of Carle, Noble, Johnson, McIndoe etc.....we were a very good passing side. Many other fans were contantly praising the way we played. In fact we were a bit over elaborate at times, and lacked goal threat upfront.

But some on here called it boring, as we only beat teams by the odd goal. Happy times in my opinion.

I notice some on here already having a go at SoD. Let's at least give the guy some time, remember how one or two numpties pre-judged GJ only ten games in to his tenure? And he already seems to be proving his doubters wrong again with the Glovers!

yesterdays games proved that more than 50-54 points will be needed to avoid the drop.

its over and now we must look forward to seeing the ball on the ground, being passed crisply by a zippy, alert and positive club form the youth squad to the first team

That's what sensible supporters want to see. A plan that is carried out at ALL levels of the club. I would take a few seasons in the lower leagues if the club come up with a proper plan that will move us forward and stick to it. A plan that reduces our spend on players because we have them coming through our own system. Rather that than make more short term fix signings who may get us up via the play offs followed by yet another disastrous season after in the Championship.

I hate to say for the first time in supporting City for 26 years, I feel the same.

26 years for me too Phants, seems to get a little harder to get excited about football in general every season. Remember feeling the same 12 months, two years ago.....

Getting old.....40 tomorrow, must be getting me down!

26 years for me too Phants, seems to get a little harder to get excited about football in general every season. Remember feeling the same 12 months, two years ago.....

Getting old.....40 tomorrow, must be getting me down!

Happy Birthday Woodsy!

Count yourself lucky, I've probably got another 60 years of this!

Remind me again how much these useless ******s are paid? Isn't that a basic footballing skill?

I really can't wait for this season to be over with. And to be honest, I really couldn't care when the next one starts

I'm really hoping that it's because we lack one or two specific players or because he's not had time to implement a short passing style (I imagine there would be quite a lot of mistakes made at first and we haven't been in a position where we can afford mistakes.)

Poor though the current bunch are I just can't believe that they're all technically inferior to the players he had at Bournemouth and Doncaster.

I'm really hoping that it's because we lack one or two specific players or because he's not had time to implement a short passing style (I imagine there would be quite a lot of mistakes made at first and we haven't been in a position where we can afford mistakes.)

Poor though the current bunch are I just can't believe that they're all technically inferior to the players he had at Bournemouth and Doncaster.

And that is a good point Dan, many's the time I sat and watched Bournemouth pass us off the park and wonder how they managed to do it whilst having players that most would deem as not as good as ours. To be fair, Doncaster had some good footballers. If he can attract them to Donny, then surely he can attract them to Bristol?

Nope I can't ( unfortunately )

I was hooked from the very first game as a kid. No going back now

Good lad - and that's the way it is, and always should be!

Have I got lost and found my way into a different forum - people actually chatting and getting on with each other rather than the usual bickering and bitching. Well done guys, best thread for a while. I remember going to watch us play QPR, first game back in the championship, and being really impressed with our slick passing and up tempo play. Oh to be able to say that again! Maybe I will with a S O'D side. And happy B-day tomorrow Woodsy.

The sad thing is that passing isn't the only basic thing we can't manage. We seem to have put together a squad of players who can't control the ball properly either. Our first touch - throughout the side - is consistently woeful. Bounces about 5 yards every time, with the result that we lose possession, balls become 50/50 that shouldn't be, and we're never in any space - which then makes the next pass hard.

But, I share the optimism that O'D knows this too and can turn it round - and turn us into a side of proper footballers.

100% pass completion looks very impressive but most of those pass were within 20 yards and he had team mates who made themselves available. Passing the ball to Xavi, running 10 yards and getting it back then doing the same with Alba/Busquets probably made up 75% of his passes.

There's a lot to be said for keeping it simple and making high percentage passes.

What football talent do our players possess that made them think they could turn pro if they can't even pass or receive a football?

Appointing good agents?

I actually find Barca quite boring to watch. It's like watching 11 Kilkenny's on the pitch! Only they can pass and move, unlike NK.

My money is on Bayern this year. They're looking very strong.

No doubt without Messi they would of lost last night.

Archived