IGNORED

Master Bates

JammyOne

I thought he did nothing wrong today. Showed a willingness to get forward (good link up play with Maloney and Adomah), didn't panic on the ball and didn't hoof it diagonally 40 yards across field to anyone but a City player!

Agreed, and on a pay-as-you-play deal too, so would cost less than fonts as well, played the offside and was better positionally, and tracked the ball when played through to make sure they were so, unlike Liam 'Waving to the Assistant Referee's Face' Fontaine. Don't get me wrong, Fonts has looked better since SoD came in, but he's playing like he is as he's a liability without Carey bossing him about and telling him where to go all game (hence why I t'ink he played them onside a few times).

Looked good to me, brought a mate who doesn't regularly watch City and noted how much better he was than Fontaine and asked why Bates hasn't been playing regularly.

I'd offer him a deal for league 1 and judging by recent performances Nyatanga deserves another year on his contract too.

Bates is and has been a complete waste for us. He should be looking at his ability to walk in later life. He has had 4 or 5 serious knee injuries, plus cruciate and mediate ligament injuries. His availabilty is poor and he hasnt done anything of note in a city shirt to warrant an extension. Long gone is the days of Paul McGrath, being able to play through the pain and not train. We dont have the budget either to carry someone, who is a ticking time bomb and should consider his life after football

His injury situation is a relevant point, however he is a class player who would walk League One. If, and it is a big if, he is willing to accept a low basic salary which is significantly boosted if he is fit and playing in the first team then for me it would be a good deal.

I thought he was a marked improvement on Fontaine yesterday. Definitely has more composure and a touch of class. He got up and down the pitch well and stuck to his man. The challenge for the penalty was a mistake, but in general I thought he was good.

A piece of wood is a marked improvement on fontaine

Decent on the ball (didn't hoof it randomly like Fontaine) but didn't seem bothered yesterday, looked like he was just going through the motions.

One time when Bolton countered he was the last man back but when they reached the area and both Cunningham and Maloney slid in to block, Bates was jogging back in the middle of our half.

Judging from yesterday's performance, i'd say let him go in the summer.

He just never looks fit to me. He is just another defender we have signed who isn't better than what we already had. McManus, Foster, Keinan, M Wilson, D Wilson etc.

If we are going in a different direction it's exactly the sort of signing we need to stay clear of. Yes I'm sure IF he could stay fit he would be a good league 1 defender, but we can't take that risk anymore. Is it not one if the reasons why we are where we are? Signing deadwood and making poor signing after poor signing? It needs to stop. SoD said as much himself and continues to reiterate this.

I will be very surprised if he is kept on. If he is it will be for peanuts. It will be hard to attract players next season that fit the criteria but things have to change. The evidence would suggest he is not worth the gamble.

No way would I keep him.

Him, Carey and Nyatanga are all out of contract this summer and I expect them all to go, meaning we will be looking to bring in only one new CB, as unless we dip into non league/league two for signings I doubt we can afford two under FFP, as Fontaine and James Wilson will probably both still be with us for next season (who is realistically going to take either of them off our hands?).

Therefore the player we sign will need to be aerially dominant and with a good availability record.

Bates is neither.

No way would I keep him.

Him, Carey and Nyatanga are all out of contract this summer and I expect them all to go, meaning we will be looking to bring in only one new CB, as unless we dip into non league/league two for signings I doubt we can afford two under FFP, as Fontaine and James Wilson will probably both still be with us for next season (who is realistically going to take either of them off our hands?).

Therefore the player we sign will need to be aerially dominant and with a good availability record.

Bates is neither.

Spot on. I was never a advocate of the big centre back myth in the champ. But Div 1 it will be a necessity. If we roll up with our current offerings we will be in trouble. That said if the defenders are good enough they should be able to drop off and pick off the 2nd ball. But our lot, well I certainly would not trust them to do that.

Archived