IGNORED

Question For Sod : Brian Howard ?

rockinredrobin

My point on this one is really routed to priority and cost :

If you ( like me ) have not missed a home game since August 2007 , then you will know that we have been relegated because of 3 key issues :

1 - Failure to get in a championship quality pair of centre backs

2 - Failure to get in a PROPER Leader at the heart of the midfield

3 - More practically - as it turned out - failure to keep or adequately replace Kalifa Cisse who ( I think ) would have prevented a lot of teams just ploughing through us this season

Thus I am always interested when we sign players / spend money in areas that werent addressing these 3 points

EVERYBODY who has been at the Club in any managerial position ( administrative or footballing ) has to shoulder part of the blame for these failings

What worries me about the future is that we are leaderless - we have no real Leader on the pitch ( captains this season have included Fontaine , Skuse , Elliott and Nyatanga - ) , the manager isnt a born demonstrative Leader ( he's a cerebral manager more than a Tub Thumper ) and we have no clear Leadership coming from the Board

The Club lately has felt like its in total inertia

...what it needs now is a shot of personality banging the drum about the future - not continuing lectures about the 5 key pillars ( which is straight out of an American Business Mgmt handbook ) and the ' Playing Philosphy' that was printed in the programme on Tuesday !

If that was authored by SoD then I wonder why he hasnt been applying it since he arrived ......or maybe he has and it just dont work ?

One of the games I saw him play he was on the right side of midfield, which although isn't really his position, he didn't get involved at all. The other game, he played in a midfield three and the game seemed to pass him by. If he gets the ball in space and has time then he does look quite good and can pick a pass. The one thing I do like about him is that he does look to go forward and doesn't play like Kilkenny, for example, and just go sideways.

The fans pin their hopes on him because he is young but that is the case with most football fans, not just City. He is 21ish now though and still looks a little slight. He isn't going to win much ball in the middle of the park and you have to worry how he would cope in a midfield two.

One thing is for sure; although Oldham fans don't think he is useless, you won't find one who wants to keep him.

Whilst on the subject of Oldham, two more things:

1. They love Lee Johnson already! How fickle considering their views when he was appointed.

2. We should really look at Jose Baxter for next season. He's had his troubles but seems to have grown up and is excellent at that level playing off the front man.

Cheers Dave.

What I love about our fans is they just assume things like wages and get themselves all worked up because they think someone is stealing a living from us. The first guy is assuming BH is on £1500 a week, and the next pipes up saying there's no way he'll be on that much, think £7500 is more likely. How does anyone know?

When Jody Morris was here people were assuming he was on mega bucks. Why? Because he used to play for Chelsea. One regular twitter troll who makes out he is a City supporter gave Jody Morris daily abuse telling him to get out of our club, insisting he was stealing a living from us. Jody Morris would have been on peanuts. Del knew he had to slash the wage bill and he knew he wasn't going to use Jody very much. There is no way he would of been earning tens of thousands like fans were assuming and therefore abusing him. I wouldn't be surprised if Jody Morris was on a pay as you play deal and similar with Brian Howard. A low basic with add ons if he plays. The club have known about the whole FFP thing for a while and with this in mind it is highly unlikely that anyone signed in the last year or 18 months will be earning silly money. The days of having players like Damion Stewart, Nicky Hunt, David Clarkson knocking about in the reserves on first team wages has gone. Not just at Bristol City, but the whole football league.

you could say this to about 7 of McInnes' signings

Heaton - success

Foster - failure

Cunningham - success

Bates - failure

Morris - failure

Kelly - success

Davies - success

Baldock - jury out

Anderson - success

Wilso - failure

So, 5 successes, 4 failures and 1 where the jury is out.

I don't think too many City fans would argue with that. And with Bates, I believe it was a gamble that had to be made at the time but he hasn't got back to the levels he achieved a couple of years ago.

Heaton - success

Foster - failure

Cunningham - success

Bates - failure

Morris - failure

Kelly - success

Davies - success

Baldock - jury out

Anderson - success

Wilso - failure

I don't think too many City fans would argue with that. And with Bates, I believe it was a gamble that had to be made at the time but he hasn't got back to the levels he achieved a couple of years ago.

3 of the failures were on short term deals as well

Heaton - success

Foster - failure

Cunningham - success

Bates - failure

Morris - failure

Kelly - success

Davies - success

Baldock - jury out

Anderson - success

Wilso - failure

i'm talking more about players that were signed and didnt play, especially on loan.

Danny Wilson, Anderson (hardly), Morris, Baldock (hardly), Briggs, Mark Wilson, Ephraim, Keinan.

Seems as though a lot of people are attacking SO'D for any reason at the moment!

Some people regularly slate our players as being no, hopers +not good enough for the championship. Yet at the same time they seem to think that sod should have produced promotion winning form from them. Which is what he would have had to have done just to keep us in the championship.

Archived