IGNORED

A Few Ideas For Bcfc

So league 1 here we come. And this has been coming for some time now, progresivly spiraling down, until finally through the trap door. This is our chance to reshape BCFC and start again.
With FFP coming in, we can't rely on SL just to buy us players, we have to earn our way. This means less on transfer fees, less on wages and sell for profits. Many will remember Elliott was once valued at 4 million, Maynard for over 6 (I know he didn't want Lecister). We also know that too many players have got comfy here. Time we put pressure on players to perform or get out, it's a cruel world after all.
We have to scout better, look abroad as well as at home, and rely more on our status as big fishin a small pond as bait, rather than money. Players have to be well scouted, and fit in with SOD philosophies.
This is also a chance to really blood our own academy players. In league 1 I fully expect the likes of Reid, Burns, Bryan and maybe others to see game time alot more often, as starters or from the bench.
However a natural problem we will face is a drop in income from relegation. Sponsorship deals and the little TV money will fall, we have to be ready. This makes it even more important that we offload high earners, and any new players have clauses that mean no matter what league we are in, they never earn more than we can afford. Relegation wage drops and promotion wage rises.
We have to be strict and tight fisted. Don't be tempted by the 7 figure deal, in league 1 that is too much.
As for attendances, they will drop, but I have a ST idea that I think would work. A bring a friend discount. Say a ST costs £300. You buy one, then convince a friend who is not renewing to buy one, you get say £50 back for bringing a friend. This means you are rewarded for your loyalty and your efforts, and the club gets a new season long fan. But there is nothing stopping this new fan, finding another friend who is not renewing to buy a ST, and he gets his £50 off. This means that loyal fans and those who put in the effort to pesuade friends are rewarded by the club. And AG will be fuller, and BCFC get more money.
I've also long wondered about the price of the CATS, why is there not a CATS season card/ticket. If you book 3 months in advance, you can return from London for about £6 by coach. Once you add in City's slice and consider that most games are further than London, you could go to all City away games (not cup) for £15 a game. Those who regularly travel away this is a great deal as they take you straight to the ground, no parking, no driving back 250 miles on a Tuesday night. And with a season ticket comes a choice of cooach. Do you want a quieter coach with quiet chit chat as the loudest noise, or do you want a louder bus with songs to start an atmosphere.
I've also long desired a train deal. Could BCFC get an agreement with national rail for away fans of some kind. The Germans get free train travel with every away ticket, so why don't we try and get a football fans discount for particular trains.
The stadium stuff is in the pipline, and if AV does fall through, we now have Plan B. Though this is now just a waiting game.
If we want to take 2 steps forward after this step back we have to use this time to build a foundation of new incomes, higher gates and stricter rules when it comes to recruitment and academy players. This will put us in good stead and lead us away from 10 million+ a year losses.
This post is quite jumbled but I'm not the greatest wordsmith. Just someone who wants the best for BCFC, and wants to see us push on to bigger and better things

So league 1 here we come. And this has been coming for some time now, progresivly spiraling down, until finally through the trap door. This is our chance to reshape BCFC and start again.
With FFP coming in, we can't rely on SL just to buy us players, we have to earn our way. This means less on transfer fees, less on wages and sell for profits. Many will remember Elliott was once valued at 4 million, Maynard for over 6 (I know he didn't want Lecister). We also know that too many players have got comfy here. Time we put pressure on players to perform or get out, it's a cruel world after all.
We have to scout better, look abroad as well as at home, and rely more on our status as big fishin a small pond as bait, rather than money. Players have to be well scouted, and fit in with SOD philosophies.
This is also a chance to really blood our own academy players. In league 1 I fully expect the likes of Reid, Burns, Bryan and maybe others to see game time alot more often, as starters or from the bench.
However a natural problem we will face is a drop in income from relegation. Sponsorship deals and the little TV money will fall, we have to be ready. This makes it even more important that we offload high earners, and any new players have clauses that mean no matter what league we are in, they never earn more than we can afford. Relegation wage drops and promotion wage rises.
We have to be strict and tight fisted. Don't be tempted by the 7 figure deal, in league 1 that is too much.
As for attendances, they will drop, but I have a ST idea that I think would work. A bring a friend discount. Say a ST costs £300. You buy one, then convince a friend who is not renewing to buy one, you get say £50 back for bringing a friend. This means you are rewarded for your loyalty and your efforts, and the club gets a new season long fan. But there is nothing stopping this new fan, finding another friend who is not renewing to buy a ST, and he gets his £50 off. This means that loyal fans and those who put in the effort to pesuade friends are rewarded by the club. And AG will be fuller, and BCFC get more money.
I've also long wondered about the price of the CATS, why is there not a CATS season card/ticket. If you book 3 months in advance, you can return from London for about £6 by coach. Once you add in City's slice and consider that most games are further than London, you could go to all City away games (not cup) for £15 a game. Those who regularly travel away this is a great deal as they take you straight to the ground, no parking, no driving back 250 miles on a Tuesday night. And with a season ticket comes a choice of cooach. Do you want a quieter coach with quiet chit chat as the loudest noise, or do you want a louder bus with songs to start an atmosphere.
I've also long desired a train deal. Could BCFC get an agreement with national rail for away fans of some kind. The Germans get free train travel with every away ticket, so why don't we try and get a football fans discount for particular trains.
The stadium stuff is in the pipline, and if AV does fall through, we now have Plan B. Though this is now just a waiting game.
If we want to take 2 steps forward after this step back we have to use this time to build a foundation of new incomes, higher gates and stricter rules when it comes to recruitment and academy players. This will put us in good stead and lead us away from 10 million+ a year losses.
This post is quite jumbled but I'm not the greatest wordsmith. Just someone who wants the best for BCFC, and wants to see us push on to bigger and better things

and thats what the board have been trying to put into place but no one has any patiants and just wants short term fixes

Great post though I would say a lot of the stuff at the start of the post appears to be happening now. Well the words coming out of the club and management indicate that anyway.

I don't know how BCFC could do the train stuff, it would need to be a national initiative IMO, with the FA using some of the TV money perhaps to pay for such a subsidy. It would definitely be a good idea though because let's face it train travel is ridiculously over priced in this country.

I agree with a lot of what you say here, and actually think this is a well thought out post. Nice one.

I just wanted to add a little context to the idea of negotiating discounted train fares as I have some experience of this.

I live in London and have played for, managed, run and been part of a City supporters team that plays in a Sunday supporters League (the APFSCIL Football League) up here for many years - you can see how the team is getting on this year here :

http://tinyurl.com/cq3rntn

The League is run by APFSCIL, or to give it its formal name the Association Of Provincial Football Supporters Clubs In London (i.e. no London teams are involved, just fans of clubs outside London).

APFSCIL has lobbied hard for nearly 30 years as part of the "fan community" with organisations like the FSF on numerous fan-related issues including the vexed question of group discounts for football fans wanting to travel to games on the train.

Ever since privatisation, the train companies have pretty much shut up shop as far as the idea of offering meaningful discounts to fans or fans groups is concerned and most simply refuse to even listen or seem unwilling to engage with the likes of the FSF or APFSCIL who represent broader groupings of fans from all over the country let alone individual clubs.

The sad truth is they don't see football fans as the kind of customers they really want on their trains so they just aren't interested in offering the kinds of deals or packages that might entice more of us back on to the train on match days.

APFSCIL for example represents approx 8000 active fans from over 50 clubs living in London many of whom would jump at the chance of using group or discounted train fares if they were available, but the train companies don't want to know.

Nice idea but experience tells me if just wont happen.

CTID.

I like the idea of the CATS season card but have as a family and friends card as well, So if you can't make the game others can in your place, I would say £150 a season would be fair as you'll get a lot of people buying into it, Also it only takes one CATS ticket to pay for fuel so they are making money as it is.

The train service would be amazing if it could be pulled off, But it might end up like the old away train

I like the idea of the CATS season card but have as a family and friends card as well, So if you can't make the game others can in your place, I would say £150 a season would be fair as you'll get a lot of people buying into it, Also it only takes one CATS ticket to pay for fuel so they are making money as it is.

The train service would be amazing if it could be pulled off, But it might end up like the old away train

the train thing wouldn't happen as it would eat into the profits of the train operating companys,

the cats thing would be good tho'

Season ticket holders let in free to early round Paint Pot Trophy and League cup games.

Please not food vouchers, no use to me at all. I know Lindsay catering probably paid for them (or should have if our Commercial Director has his head screwed even half way on), but I would just like a cheap ticket!

Season ticket holders let in free to early round Paint Pot Trophy and League cup games.

Please not food vouchers, no use to me at all. I know Lindsay catering probably paid for them (or should have if our Commercial Director has his head screwed even half way on), but I would just like a cheap ticket!

The cup game is good point every round of the Paint Pot should be included and League Cup games unless it's a Big Tie, Local Derby or an Attractive Fixture,

The club should use this relegation as a way to get many upset fans to think twice about not renewing, Don't to early bird specials as many want to see what happens during the Transfer window, Have a special offer if you were a ST holder last season

wasn't it about a fiver to get in last time we played in it? anyway we will only open the ee and the williams for the JPT as I would be suprised if we got over 5k regardless of ticket prices

The cup game is good point every round of the Paint Pot should be included and League Cup games unless it's a Big Tie, Local Derby or an Attractive Fixture,

The club should use this relegation as a way to get many upset fans to think twice about not renewing, Don't to early bird specials as many want to see what happens during the Transfer window, Have a special offer if you were a ST holder last season

Then I suggest that most won't renew as we will be very limited untill we get a 160% of turnover wage bill down to 60% of turnover in the next 4 months

Archived