IGNORED

So What Now Then? An Oppinion (Or Two!)

Pheasant plucker

Now I like to browse the forums, but I rarely post or start a thread, but with alot of whats being said I thought I would for a change!

Im guessing we're all more than dissapointed in the way a season that started so brightly has dissintegrated into an almost farcical ending - this of course culminating in the now infomous "always look on the bright side of life" playing over the tannoy as SoD was consoling an obviously gutted city team. I know alot of you were offened by this, but personally I did have a chuckle as it summed up my feelings exactly!

Well lets just look at the facts, it is as bad as it looks - or indeed worse?! O.K were in league one again, I for one have been watching city so long I've seen far more "3rd division" games than 2nd, or indeed first, infact my first game was in 1982 so I've never seen us in the top flight - it may not always be pretty, but we still get our Saturday afternoons at the footie, see our footie mates and have a beer and a burger if we want - not so bad ay!? no one has actually died!

Dont get me wrong, I've really enjoyed watching us in the championship (well some of the time! Hehe) and we should strive to play in the best league we can, but it is what it is and for a plethera of reasons were in a poor period.So then what next?

Well I think we should "look on the bright side" and use this opportunity to move foward, first of all lets get rid of the dead wood as seems to be the plan and actually use our youngsters.

I also believe there should be a 3 point plan in the next 12 months to move foward - and I mean REALLY move us foward.

1) I think SL should clear the debts we have amassed, and have a realistic, sustainable wage bill, this would give any players and coaching staff e.t.c Confidence that were not about to go pop and stop the media mentioning it every 2minutes.

2) We need to sort out quickly whether we are going Ashton Vale or Ashton Gate, and start building it, again to show people and fans that we are indeed moving foward not just talking about it!

3) Thirdly changes at board level are required. A chairman who is a figurehead, not a media shy shrinkng violet is needed (we cant have a manager and chairman whos not keen on the media surely, what message is this sending out?) and my oppinion is adding two footballing figures on the board - a good old pro with contacts and experience in the professional game, maybe looking to work a couple of days a week and maybe a M.r Bristol city type figure, someone who loves city, has been part of the club along time and again played profesionally, respected, someone who knows what works management and board wise at city and what doesnt - maybe Louis Carey or similar? O.k maybe not louis but you get the drift! - two guys who would be here for the long haul and provide continuation when inevitably managers leave, and give good, sound advice to the board on their next appointment.

Hopefully in SoD we have a guy who can pull the club, get results, good pleasing on the eye football and give us a clear path for the future - but I guess only time will tell.

I'll still renew my S.T support the team and hope for the best. COYR!!!

Now I like to browse the forums, but I rarely post or start a thread, but with alot of whats being said I thought I would for a change!

Im guessing we're all more than dissapointed in the way a season that started so brightly has dissintegrated into an almost farcical ending - this of course culminating in the now infomous "always look on the bright side of life" playing over the tannoy as SoD was consoling an obviously gutted city team. I know alot of you were offened by this, but personally I did have a chuckle as it summed up my feelings exactly!

Well lets just look at the facts, it is as bad as it looks - or indeed worse?! O.K were in league one again, I for one have been watching city so long I've seen far more "3rd division" games than 2nd, or indeed first, infact my first game was in 1982 so I've never seen us in the top flight - it may not always be pretty, but we still get our Saturday afternoons at the footie, see our footie mates and have a beer and a burger if we want - not so bad ay!? no one has actually died!

Dont get me wrong, I've really enjoyed watching us in the championship (well some of the time! Hehe) and we should strive to play in the best league we can, but it is what it is and for a plethera of reasons were in a poor period.So then what next?

Well I think we should "look on the bright side" and use this opportunity to move foward, first of all lets get rid of the dead wood as seems to be the plan and actually use our youngsters.

I also believe there should be a 3 point plan in the next 12 months to move foward - and I mean REALLY move us foward.

1) I think SL should clear the debts we have amassed, and have a realistic, sustainable wage bill, this would give any players and coaching staff e.t.c Confidence that were not about to go pop and stop the media mentioning it every 2minutes.

2) We need to sort out quickly whether we are going Ashton Vale or Ashton Gate, and start building it, again to show people and fans that we are indeed moving foward not just talking about it!

3) Thirdly changes at board level are required. A chairman who is a figurehead, not a media shy shrinkng violet is needed (we cant have a manager and chairman whos not keen on the media surely, what message is this sending out?) and my oppinion is adding two footballing figures on the board - a good old pro with contacts and experience in the professional game, maybe looking to work a couple of days a week and maybe a M.r Bristol city type figure, someone who loves city, has been part of the club along time and again played profesionally, respected, someone who knows what works management and board wise at city and what doesnt - maybe Louis Carey or similar? O.k maybe not louis but you get the drift! - two guys who would be here for the long haul and provide continuation when inevitably managers leave, and give good, sound advice to the board on their next appointment.

Hopefully in SoD we have a guy who can pull the club, get results, good pleasing on the eye football and give us a clear path for the future - but I guess only time will tell.

Top post.. I am for some reason actually looking forward to next season much more than recently (Sick of not being able to compete with the vast majority of the clubs in the championship for one reason or another). I for one beleive we have a decent manager, an owner who has the best interests of bristol city at heart ( despite what some say) and next year will be the start of new things. Totally agree on the stadium issue, i think the team has almost taken a back burner in recent seasons while we try and get that sorted. I'm of the opinion that we should start redoing the gate NEXT season, no more waiting, the more we get built in league one the better, because we will need facilities ( and capacity if we are doing well) WHEN we do eventually return to the championship.

That's a great post, unfortunately, there's a lot of Osterich's on here with they're heads buried in the sand. Spot on on a lot of issues around the club.

Agree with this fella. Good post.

I am more gutted than disappointed, but no point in sulking it won't change anything. We need to be positive and I already want next season to start and to start getting an idea of what in's and out's will happen at the club.

Your right though, there is a real need for a long term plan and structure and it has to be implemented now. Hopefully this is the kick up the arse we need as a club to move forward.

Having spent the majority of the last 30 yrs watching City in Div 3 I'm definately not looking forward to revisiting it.

It's really quite astounding why we're unable to become a solid middle/upper reaches of 2nd tier club. Should have happened with Joe Jordan's promotion team but then JJ left, Lumsden sold Taylor and that was the beginning of the end of that spell.

Now we've plumped for SOD hope we stick with him for at least five years give him the chance to build a team a la Alan Dicks.

Agree great post, I've always been a positive poster on here and although gutted we have to look forward to next year. Iam hoping st prices in mid may will be reasonable and see what players are told to go. Everyone in contract will stay unless we get offers we see as a worthy sale.

The stadium is a massive thing that needs sorting, but as we know that wont be until October I believe. Fingers crossed start the season with a good foundation and build on that.

Always believe !!!

Having spent the majority of the last 30 yrs watching City in Div 3 I'm definately not looking forward to revisiting it.

It's really quite astounding why we're unable to become a solid middle/upper reaches of 2nd tier club. Should have happened with Joe Jordan's promotion team but then JJ left, Lumsden sold Taylor and that was the beginning of the end of that spell.

Now we've plumped for SOD hope we stick with him for at least five years give him the chance to build a team a la Alan Dicks.

-------------------------------------------------------

Yeh agree, not sure why we've been so mediocre over the years, but I really feel we have learnt alot as a club this time - or maybe I'm just a gullable SoD hehe.

Whats that Mr Bombay, Im due how much in injury compensation? Wow thanks for taking the time to ring - where do I sign?!? ;-)

WTFiGO!?!

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and quakes like a duck; it's probably a duck.

Replace the word 'duck' with 'sad sag'...

Replace the words 'sad sag' with 'unimaginative bell end'.

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------

Now bell end I can live with, but SAG??? Have you read the post you knob jockey? You might not agree with my oppinions, but to be honest I couldnt give a toss!

You go back to you childish insults in your world of Utopia - mayb go support Manure if you want your team to win at all costs.

What is their in the op to make anybody think that the poster is a sag?

I don't think the sag tag is aimed at the OP!

I reckon it may be aimed at the Talksense ( bit of a misnomer considering in this thread he's talked nothing but drivel ) who couldn't be bothered read anything more than two syllables, hence he replied with a pointless statement rather than just leave those who want to debate to the debate.

Great post SUS, bringing football men to oversee player recruitment and day to day running of the club is what we have needed for a long time,unfortunately with some major pruning of finances I believe we'll continue as we are now.

Archived