IGNORED

Heaton: I Might Stay At City.

Big Hev

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/stay-Bristol-City-says-Tom-Heaton/story-18777918-detail/story.html#axzz2RH4q4Wnc

Hes not ruling out staying with city, clearly he appreciates the first team football hes been getting with us and i think would be willing to make the step down if offered an appropriate deal.

he would easily be one of the top 2-3 goalkeepers in that division and if he performs well in that league then he could either help promote us or give himself a better chance of getting a first-team contract at a championship club the season after.

id be surprised if any team in the championship would give him a contract that promised regular first team football after our defensive record this season

certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he did stay

COYR

Hmm, I read that not as 'I want to stay and fight to get this club back up' but more as an 'I want a contingency to mull over if something else doesn't come up'.

I'd imagine he'd have to take a pay cut but I do get the feeling that he is more interested in playing football regularly than earning the biggest wedge he can (hence joining us and not Man City as third choice)

I'd love him to stay, I like him. Made some bloody brilliant stops this season and with a proper defence in front of him that is designed to protect his weaknesses (crosses) then he'll be easily one of the best in L1 next season.

The way I read it was as if the interviewer was asking from the angle of "Your expected to leave and the club havent offered you anything, would you consider staying"

He isnt going to say too much, as if he was to say "yes i certainly want to stay" he will look stupid if he doesnt get offered a contract. He's also likely to get a smaller contract offer if the club think hes more than happy to stay, whereas he may get a more generous offer by not over-commiting himself...

It would be refreshing if those decent player who will still be in contract next season came out and said they want to stay and fight to get us back up, even if they'd only commit to one season in League One, after all it was partly down to them we got relegated in the first place. We all know that Baldock and Davies would score a hat full in that league. Cunningham, Kelly and a few more would shine at that level also and would enhance our chances of a quick return to the Championship. But in the real world these player will get offers to join Championship clubs and will jump at the chance without a second thought for either the club or it's fans. Football must be the only profession when you can screw up so badly and in public and still be offered the opportunity at the same level whilst those they have let down have to carry that burden without them.

He's also likely to get a smaller contract offer if the club think hes more than happy to stay, whereas he may get a more generous offer by not over-commiting himself...

There won't be any generous offers, it'll be 3rd division wages, take it or leave it.

There won't be any generous offers, it'll be 3rd division wages, take it or leave it.

Relatively speaking I mean. Im not talking 10k a week, im saying the board might throw a little extra bonus in to encourage him, whereas had he come out and said "yes I am staying next season no matter what" he'll get shafted in the contract talks.

im saying the board might throw a little extra bonus in to encourage him,

The little extra bonus will only be financial in the form of appearance money that he's more likely to get at AG than elsewhere.

If he stays he'll be City's no.1 again, but on 3rd division wages.

Heaton, and the club, will both be well aware that he is part of the team that have taken the club back to div1., and he's unlikely to get 'a little extra bonus' for that.

when my 9 yr old son(also a keeper) was mascott this yr, heaton made sure he was ok and had loads of time for my son. and a very good keeper as well, we would do well to find another keeper as good as him as they do seem to be thin on the ground

I don't see why the Championship standard players should have to take a pay cut. I mean, if they believe they're Championship standard, surely they'd take 3rd division money with a bonus taking them up to their old salary IF we go straight back up. The club could surely afford that due to extra revenue generated through gate, sponsorship etc off the back of a successful season.

I don't see why the Championship standard players should have to take a pay cut. I mean, if they believe they're Championship standard, surely they'd take 3rd division money with a bonus taking them up to their old salary IF we go straight back up. The club could surely afford that due to extra revenue generated through gate, sponsorship etc off the back of a successful season.

They have to take a pay cut because they've relegated the club. You talk as though the club are desperate to keep them - there may be a case for Heaton, but for most of the others it will be a a great relief to the club to get rid of them.

Unlikely there'd be any return to old salaries for City players if we go back up either - don't forget there was going to be a further 40% reduction in wages even if we'd stayed in the Championship.

The new players coming in to replace the present crop of failures will no doubt have promotion clauses but even then they'd still be on nothing like the wages of our top ten earners at the moment.

It's quite clear the days of BCFC being amongst the higher wage payers in the Championship are very unlikely to ever be repeated.

Do like him and good energy for the team if he's got a defence in front of him.

Just hope he can add the skill s and confidence to come out for an opposition cross, in addition to being a great stopper and all-round athlete.

He has been caught on his line more than once as a header goes past him.

Agree with Nogbad, there should be no exceptions.

If he really wants to stay he should do so on third tier wages.

This.

There simply can't be any exceptions anymore. I would like him to stay, but going that 'little extra' for certain players over the years is one of the reasons why we have ended up in this situation.

If he wants to stay then great, he would be one of the top keepers in league one and we will certainly do well to get anyone as good as him, but it has to be on a league one wage.

Hope he stays good keeper. Had an eventful season what with being flooded, letting in hundreds of goals, starring in the City Youtube campaign and nearly scoring last week.

If he does go hopefully Deano will follow as don't really want him as No. 1 next season.

Archived