IGNORED

League 1, Anyone Looking Forward To It?

reddogkev

May sound strange to some, but I'm actually looking forward to life back in League one. Kind of fallen out of love with the Championship, the last couple of years have been utter dross and I've only enjoyed four matches - the August Cardiff and Crystal Palace home wins, the goal frenzy of the Blackburn home defeat and last season's win at home to Southampton.

On the whole, the rest of the past few seasons have been truly horrendous, for many obvious reasons, so perhaps a fresh start and time to build the club up again is a good thing.

Here's hoping to a season of blooding exciting youngsters, reduced ticket prices (we can all dream), pride and passion exuding from the players, a competitive campaign with genuine hope of gaining promotion at the end, and perhaps even the chance of fighting for an automatic spot, perhaps continuing our rivalry with Wolves.

Another thing, if Yeovil stay down, locking horns with both of the Johnsons will be pretty interesting. I'll be looking forward to cheering GJ's name again with fondness (provided Yeovil aren't on top).

For some reason, I've always enjoyed going to Swindon away, which is usually satisfying as we often put them out of their misery with a comprehensive win and have the chance to berate their deluded fans at the same time!

Might even get a season ticket for the first time in three years!

Tbh I'd been rather enjoying life in the Championship until GJ left...Newcastle away will live long in the memory...

Third Division football is, on the whole, physical, lumping and fighting for a chance to play any football.

But hey ho...

I am looking forward to the new season more than the previous couple. In the GJ years my younger son and I went to most of the away preseason matches...to see how the side was shaping up. A first chance to see new players and a great excuse for a cheap holiday spending very little money watching City play Hereford, Dorchester, Weymouth...and I might do that again this summer if O'Driscoll is rebuilding...

...let's hope some of the preseason is closer than Botswana...

I'm looking forward to it, it's a kick in the teeth but deserved and in all honesty, one we needed. A step back to move two steps forward is what we need and it's come at a perfect time where we've got a great coach, a load of the overpaid rubbish is going at no extra cost and we have some quality players left tied down to longer contracts. Add in the youth to the mix and its quite promising

Tbh I'd been rather enjoying life in the Championship until GJ left...Newcastle away will live long in the memory...

I was on holiday when we played Newcastle away, missing that match will haunt me for quite some time! But yeah I enjoyed the championship when GJ was the gaffer, everyone of his interviews used to be amusing and the atmosphere at the ground was always jubilant.

Looking at the possible teams to be in League One with us it will be a very competitive league as always.

The only way we'll be able to really challenge for the automatic places is if we have a formidable home record, much better squad than we have this season and more of a team-spirit.

More than half of the current squad will be going so we will see loads of changes, i'm hoping we see a few young kids loaned from Premier league sides aswell.

Relegation is bitter sweet imo. On one hand being the worst team in the Championship is both embarrassing and humiliating and fighting the drop virtually all season with too many crap performances and 11 home defeats isn't enjoyable for anyone. I'm glad its over.

On the other hand I'm looking forward to seeing how O'Driscoll goes about re-building and the summer will be be an interesting time. I'm also looking to see City winning at AG on a regular basis.

Essentially City are starting again and that has to be exciting.

Relegation is bitter sweet imo. On one hand being the worst team in the Championship is both embarrassing and humiliating and fighting the drop virtually all season with too many crap performances and 11 home defeats isn't enjoyable for anyone. I'm glad its over.

On the other hand I'm looking forward to seeing how O'Driscoll goes about re-building and the summer will be be an interesting time. I'm also looking to see City winning at AG on a regular basis.

Exactly, my fear is that we are going to have a fairly average team for that division but hopefully that doesn't happen!

Teams:

Barnsley - MAYBE

Bradford - MAYBE

Bristol City

Brentford - MAYBE

Burton Albion - MAYBE

Carlisle

Cheltenham - MAYBE

Colchester

Coventry

Crawley

Crewe

Gillingham

Leyton Orient

MK Dons

Notts County

Northampton - MAYBe

Oldham

Peterborough - MAYBE

Port Vale

Preston

Rotherham

Sheff Utd - MAYBE

Shrewsbury

Stevenage

Swindon - MAYBE

Tranmere

Walsall

Wolves - MAYBE

Yeovil

Some teams in that list I'd definitely see being good odds to challenge for promotion.

Really, RR? Do you really think that?

I have to say that after 53 years of supporting City, man and boy, I'm sick to the back teeth of the way the club is run.

There seems to be a total lack of ambition at the club, including Lansdown, to achieve anything other than mediocrity and obscurity.

How many times have we been here before, just relegated, new plans in place, bright future with a new manager, and so on...?

We all know the pattern by now, we've been through it so many times before - relegation, 5-10 years farting around in Div.3 trying to rebuild, lucky break and manage promotion, struggle for a few seasons in div.2, finally relegated to start the whole episode again - what's different about this time? Nothing!

Anyone who thinks we're going to bounce back next season is in for a rude awakening.

I certainly won't be watching them next season, that's for sure - I've had enough - I'd rather spend the time playing football in the park with my grandson. Maybe when he's old enough for me to take to the ground, I'll have another look to see how they're doing, but next season and the near future - forget it!

Good luck City - you're going to need it...

I have to say that after 53 years of supporting City, man and boy, I'm sick to the back teeth of the way the club is run.

There seems to be a total lack of ambition at the club, including Lansdown, to achieve anything other than mediocrity and obscurity.

How many times have we been here before, just relegated, new plans in place, bright future with a new manager, and so on...?

We all know the pattern by now, we've been through it so many times before - relegation, 5-10 years farting around in Div.3 trying to rebuild, lucky break and manage promotion, struggle for a few seasons in div.2, finally relegated to start the whole episode again - what's different about this time? Nothing!

Anyone who thinks we're going to bounce back next season is in for a rude awakening.

I certainly won't be watching them next season, that's for sure - I've had enough - I'd rather spend the time playing football in the park with my grandson. Maybe when he's old enough for me to take to the ground, I'll have another look to see how they're doing, but next season and the near future - forget it!

Good luck City - you're going to need it....

The same goes for 90% of football clubs! That's football. Enjoy the ride.

shut the door on yer way out

Maybe I'm being a tad optimistic and looking for something positive after what has been a decidedly dreadful couple of seasons. Its true we have been here before but something has to be different this time around and I have feeling that O'Driscoll will be that difference.

He's talked more sense in 4 months than all the previous City managers put together in their entire time at City and I like that. That said talk is cheap and the proof will be in how it all turns out on the pitch but when you hear fans of Bournemouth, Donny and Forest all saying that he's a class act you have to be optimistic.

I'll be down the Gate next season.

I don't think you can say we have had a lack of ambition. Unfortunately 22 nimbys and an incompetent council have stopped us from achieving that. Bear in mind that without them it might have opened this season which migt have given us a boost and allowed us to spend more to stay up.

I gotta agree with Simply Red. Next season will be a mess....Unless we fluke it So'D has done nothing yet to inspire any confidence, he has been all hot air and bluster but nothing has changed on the pitch and all that he has been said has been ignored thus far. 1 win in 10 doesnt help things and he has much to prove that he can do it

I'd say thats because of the limited ability of the players rather than O'Driscolls ineptitude.

Because they've been relegated for the championship the City will obviously start as one of the pre season favourites .... I for one think they will more than likely finish 9/10th at best, I'll be very surprised if they're challenging the top 6! Must admit though looking forward to some good away trips

Who knows what next season will bring. Doncaster must have thought they were in a right mess yet managed to win the league. On the other end of the scale, S****horpe have now gone down after being in the Championship just a couple of years ago.

Personally I think SOD will sort things out but it might take time.

I see, so when it's performance over results and the players arent performing then So'D is absolved because it's the players fault? Who picks said players and comes up with the tactics and whatnot again? Limited ability is fine, if we can see that the players are performing, they arent and other than the 'dead cat' bounce, there is nothing, that suggests that there is 'more' to come. If anything we've got worse, with no bright light of improvement. If was any other industry questions would be asked about the way he is doing things as they are not yielding quantifiable changes, indeed it's as was, with added bluster.

I'm sure you know that all managers take time to develop and install their methods into a squad of players. O'Driscoll has a particular way he likes to play the game and in order to do that effectively he's needs players who are capable of playing that way. Not enough of the squad he inherited have that required levels of ability. He never had enough games/time to retain Championship status.

O'Driscoll did initially manage to improve home performances and achieve some cleans sheets ( which McInnes failed to do) but ultimately the mindset within the squad was too deeply engrained and began to re-appear as yesterdays laughable performance showed. Add to that injuries to key and experienced players particularly Stead Pearson and Skuse and you have the reasons why O'Driscoll failed to keep us up.

Archived