IGNORED

All The Lee Johnson Knockers.

marksy

Over the years some players have had their fair share of stick. Lee Johnson comes to mind and he certainly had his fair share of criticism. Was he really that bad in comparison to that mob out there yesterday? What was the right back doing ( I can't even bring myself to say his name) And where was the midfield? No fight, no bottle and no clue!

Over the years some players have had their fair share of stick. Lee Johnson comes to mind and he certainly had his fair share of criticism. Was he really that bad in comparison to that mob out there yesterday? What was the right back doing ( I can't even bring myself to say his name) And where was the midfield? No fight, no bottle and no clue!

I think it just proves how shit the recruitment policy has been that a player who has played nearly all of his games for his old man is now held up as a loss. He was never good enough and his replacements are worse.

Yes he was bad.

Still better than Kilkenny though.

The problem people had with Little Lee was he could play a run of utter stinkers and still be the first name on the time sheet. Whether that was nepotism or just misplaced faith is irrelevant. Some games we'd even have the sublime Hartley dropped to make room for him.

Stuff like that rankles, no matter how well intentioned as a player and likeable as a man LJ is. Clearly after leaving City he didn't set anywhere on fire, but at Oldham it now looks like he might've inherited his old man's managerial skills. Gary was a very mediocre footballer in his day too.

YES Oh and by the way he ddidn't tackle at all.

Blimey. The memory span of goldfishes some folk.

He was one of the weakest links in the play-off season's team.

Yes he scored the odd incredible goal and he could deliver a sublime pass, but much more common afertoon for him was to have an utterly anonymous game, marked by Lee desperately getting rid of the ball like it was a live hand-grenade if any of the big boys menaced him. He had the defensive capabilities of a cardboard cut-out.

Blimey. The memory span of goldfishes some folk.

He was one of the weakest links in the play-off season's team.

Yes he scored the odd incredible goal and he could deliver a sublime pass, but much more common afertoon for him was to have an utterly anonymous game, marked by Lee desperately getting rid of the ball like it was a live hand-grenade if any of the big boys menaced him. He had the defensive capabilities of a cardboard cut-out.

load of bollocks

load of bollocks

Great argument there. Sadly one not borne out by watching Lee flinch out of a thousand tackles.

Ironically I thought he was starting to get better when we got rid of him. He'd bulked up and did start to play some defensive part in the team.

My problem was not LG but GJ insistence on picking him over what i consider better players no matter what.

Lee always did his best and thats all i could ask from him but there were better players Noble and Russell who he always got picked ahead of.

My problem was not LG but GJ insistence on picking him over what i consider better players no matter what.

Lee always did his best and thats all i could ask from him but there were better players Noble and Russell who he always got picked ahead of.

Agreed, Russell should have played in the championship more.

Noble however had as many anonymous games as LJ. I loved Nobber, but yeah. He was as imconsistent as LJ.

Exactly, Lee was ok, not great but ok. kept possession well and was always available for a pass when we were in possession. Out of possession he was next to useless and bottled out of too many challenges.

My problem was with GJ, he had LJ taking every corner and free kick for 3 seasons and we never scored from any of them!

His little run - check- and run up to a free kick might have caught a team out once (it didn't tho') but he did it EVERY time for 3 years!

GJ also at times played the likes of Evander Sno, Paul Hartley, Nick Carle, & David Noble on the wing in order to accomodate LJ

and it seemed at times that LJ's name went on the team sheet first and everyone else needed to fit around that.

The play off final was the most glaring example of this - moving Marv (when he was at the height of his power) to R/B when he'd never played there for City was selfish in the extreme, putting family before club & I never liked GJ after that. could you imagine

Liverpool moving Gerrard to full back, or Man U doing the same with Roy Keane, or Arsenal with Viera, Chelsea/Lampard.

The final piss take was when GJ announced a Rotation Policy as he explained the dropping (yet again) of Paul Hartley to allow Lee to come straight back in after injury............and then the following week (with LJ safely back in the team) announced that a settled side was now required & rotation was never mentioned again.

I did think at the time it was not wise to sign the managers son as a conflict of interest was all too possible but SL didn't seem to find it a problem - and now SL's repeating the process with his own son at the helm.

Exactly, Lee was ok, not great but ok. kept possession well and was always available for a pass when we were in possession. Out of possession he was next to useless and bottled out of too many challenges.

My problem was with GJ, he had LJ taking every corner and free kick for 3 seasons and we never scored from any of them!

His little run - check- and run up to a free kick might have caught a team out once (it didn't tho') but he did it EVERY time for 3 years!

GJ also at times played the likes of Evander Sno, Paul Hartley, Nick Carle, & David Noble on the wing in order to accomodate LJ

and it seemed at times that LJ's name went on the team sheet first and everyone else needed to fit around that.

The play off final was the most glaring example of this - moving Marv (when he was at the height of his power) to R/B when he'd never played there for City was selfish in the extreme, putting family before club & I never liked GJ after that. could you imagine

Liverpool moving Gerrard to full back, or Man U doing the same with Roy Keane, or Arsenal with Viera, Chelsea/Lampard.

The final piss take was when GJ announced a Rotation Policy as he explained the dropping (yet again) of Paul Hartley to allow Lee to come straight back in after injury............and then the following week (with LJ safely back in the team) announced that a settled side was now required & rotation was never mentioned again.

I did think at the time it was not wise to sign the managers son as a conflict of interest was all too possible but SL didn't seem to find it a problem - and now SL's repeating the process with his own son at the helm.

Accurate account of Lee's career at AG. The worst moment, as you mentioned, was when Gary brought him on at Wembley so, presumably, he could say he played on the sacred turf. It lost us the match and a crack at the Premiership.

Accurate account of Lee's career at AG. The worst moment, as you mentioned, was when Gary brought him on at Wembley so, presumably, he could say he played on the sacred turf. It lost us the match and a crack at the Premier League.

It did not cost us that game. We had plenty of chances we couldn't finish them. I dont remember hull scoring again when he come on.

LJ under rated by many but yet one of the most vital players in our most successful team of recent times I really dont know how people can say he was only in team because of his dad otherwise he'd of started the end of season games but carle started instead that was probably a mistake.

It did not cost us that game. We had plenty of chances we couldn't finish them. I dont remember hull scoring again when he come on.

LJ under rated by many but yet one of the most vital players in our most successful team of recent times I really dont know how people can say he was only in team because of his dad otherwise he'd of started the end of season games but carle started instead that was probably a mistake.

So no goals and very few assists , no tackles, & no goals from any (actually every) free kick & corner he took during a 3 year period and even his biggest fan would admit he wasn't in the side for his defensive abilities or tackles.

So please, pretty please, list his strengths for me

I will start you with one to get you going:

He never hid & always made himself available for a pass when a team mate was in possession.

and that's it - over to you

So no goals and very few assists , no tackles, & no goals from any (actually every) free kick & corner he took during a 3 year period and even his biggest fan would admit he wasn't in the side for his defensive abilities or tackles.

He never hid & always made himself available for a pass when a team mate was in possession.

When he received that ball he rarely gave it away enabling us tio retain posession and keep the shape of the team.

11 goals actually

When he received that ball he rarely gave it away enabling us tio retain posession and keep the shape of the team.

Yeah , backwards or sideways passes.

No goals No assists, No tackles,

So he was in the side ahead of - say - Hartley .....because he could pass sideways????

11 goals actually

In 6 years and 174 appearances in a City shirt

Our attacking playmaker scored once in every 16 games - an average less than 2 goals a season.

Easy to see why the team's fortunes plummeted after he left, no doubt those 2 goals a season were the difference!

If you're going to defend him , at least try

Our attacking playmaker scored once in every 16 games - an average less than 2 goals a season.

Easy to see why the team's fortunes plummeted after he left, no doubt those 2 goals a season were the difference!

yeah I forgot we scored for fun that play off season weren't byfield top scorer with eight!!

8 assists in promotion season he was top player with assists, play off season you know in the championship 7 assists second only behind mcindoe and he played less games to. So don't tell me johnson gave nothing to the team.

So no goals and very NO assists , a few tackles, & no goals from any (actually every) free kick & corner he took during a 3 year period and even his biggest fan would admit he wasn't in the side for his defensive abilities or tackles.

You have just described Skuse as well.

Complete and utter bottler. LJ coming on meant we lost Marv in middle who had been a monster all season and game was over from that point.

LJ will be remembered by me and a constant bottler who gave City fans the finger.

Complete and utter bottler. LJ coming on meant we lost Marv in middle who had been a monster all season and game was over from that point.

LJ will be remembered by me and a constant bottler who gave City fans the finger.

Still frustrates me to this day why we didn't just bring Vasko on and put Carey right back!

Still frustrates me to this day why we didn't just bring Vasko on and put Carey right back!

That was the obvious sub, especially as McCombe was out, but GJ couldn't resist

getting his son on for a share of the glory.

We all said at the time it was a mistake - we were all gobsmaked to see our top midfield powerhouse

moved to an unfamiliar position...GJ weakened both midfield and defence in one move.

Interesting that Marv had never played for City at RB and never has since, even with injuries no manager has ever contemplated

playing Marv at RB.

i said on the day that I had waited 30 years (since the Dicks era) for the chance to get into the PL again and we threw it away, and that it would be another 30 years probably before we had the chance again. Even 30 years looks optimistic now!!

Archived