IGNORED

Elected Board Members

There has been a lot of moaning on here this season about the board, who are they, what do they do etc etc. So why not open up 1 or 2 spaces on the board for elected 'fans' of BCFC. I'm a simple moron, but there are City fans who are intelligent enough to know about the game and how business works to run for a place.

In early July (or sometime like that), all the ST holders get to vote for their representative for the board. A test of sorts could be taken to make sure whoever is running understands the system, stopping everyone from running and having hundreds of candidates.

It could be a full time or part time role. Gives us fans a foot in the board room. They could do interviews fortnightly/monthly on player/youtube, updating us all on the goings on.

You could argue what does the Trust do these days, apart from PR and fundraising. The whole point of a trust was for the supporters to eventually have a say in running the club but its an non entity with the business model of the club as it stands.

I thought the fans parliament was supposed to be the bridge between the fans and the club. It is more representative than the Supporters Trust.

Why would anyone want to be a director of a football club?

I am not sure how they are getting on - Tthe Fans Parliament only form a few months back, not really heard anything - though I thought they were representing groups of fans and stands in structured meetings every x months to raise ideas/concerns etc..... I guess there must be info on it somewhere

At the risk of sounding cynical - it seems to me that the offer of a seat to the Supporters' Trust was little more than a stunt to give the appearance of supporter representation when in fact, sat alongside abandonment of the formal AGM, it was part of a move to further silence the minority shareholders and maximise SL's unchallenged control.

We can talk all we want about the Board's performance but ultimately whilst the club remains entirely dependent on SL's wealth to remain solvent and the ownership remains effectively in the hands of just two individuals - SL/KD can and will do whatever they feel like. That is to say they are not likely to make themselves answerable to others in any meaningful way, whoever they may or may not allow to question them.

I am not sure how they are getting on - Tthe Fans Parliament only form a few months back, not really heard anything - though I thought they were representing groups of fans and stands in structured meetings every x months to raise ideas/concerns etc..... I guess there must be info on it somewhere

Does anyone know how the Fans' Parliament members actually "represent" anyone?

I certainly haven't been involved in electing any of them and have not been asked my views on anything by any of them

This replaced the fans forum which had been in place for quite a while. The minutes are on the club site.

• Admin

Can you give some examples, I don't really understand what you are saying?

To me a "board member" should be someone with the ability to provide finacial backing to the club,and to have an understanding of how to run the football club

We don't need a fans voice in the boardroom, who would the one person actually represent?

Having the SC/ST gives all fans the chance to get a voice raised to the club.

Since our AGM's vanished the chance to get the supporters voice heard by the club, has become dependant on this group

Since our AGM's vanished the chance to get the supporters voice heard by the club, has become dependant on this group

That's an interesting statement. I had a look on their website and there doesn't to be any minutes of any meetings held since April 2010.

To me a "board member" should be someone with the ability to provide finacial backing to the club,and to have an understanding of how to run the football club

We don't need a fans voice in the boardroom, who would the one person actually represent?

Having the SC/ST gives all fans the chance to get a voice raised to the club.

Ah ok, I broadly agree with that, but not the ST/SC as representative.

• SC&T Board Members

That's an interesting statement. I had a look on their website and there doesn't to be any minutes of any meetings held since April 2010.

You can blame me for the lack of uploaded minutes - they all exist, just I've been very tardy in getting them uploaded. Will try to do that this week, now I've been reminded! All our meetings are open and copies of the minutes presented and approved.

It is also correct that it has been a long-held aim of the ST and now of the combined SC and ST to gain a place on the board.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Supporters' Club chairman used to sit in on board meetings and even have a parking space? Maybe someone on here can remember, and perhaps explain why SL decided to bin that idea.

I think a certqin supporters club chairman damaged its image beyond repair.

At the risk of sounding cynical - it seems to me that the offer of a seat to the Supporters' Trust was little more than a stunt to give the appearance of supporter representation when in fact, sat alongside abandonment of the formal AGM, it was part of a move to further silence the minority shareholders and maximise SL's unchallenged control.

We can talk all we want about the Board's performance but ultimately whilst the club remains entirely dependent on SL's wealth to remain solvent and the ownership remains effectively in the hands of just two individuals - SL/KD can and will do whatever they feel like. That is to say they are not likely to make themselves answerable to others in any meaningful way, whoever they may or may not allow to question them.

So you're suggesting the aforementioned SL/KD do not rely on the club employees ringing us up requesting our S/T renewals whilst they also underestimate our capability to utilise our ability to tell them to do one?

When the Supporters Trust was officially formed in November 2005, board representation was on the agenda when we met with Steve Lansdown in February 2006. Subsequently, the Supporters Club and Supporters Trust were invited to a board meeting to demonstrate the value both brings to the Football Club. This resulted in a representative from each organisation attending board meetings from time to time.

We did not have a seat on the board as a fans representative, more by invitation. The board reduced in size to the point that meetings became less frequent, in fact non existant, so the invitations dried up. We continue to press for fans representation on the board, in fact, the point was last made when we met Steve Lansdown before the Leicester game this season.

Our main contention is that there is a board made up of people primarily focussed on football matters on the playing side. Much of what impacts fans is managed by a management layer who is not represented on that board or linked seemingly through direct reports. Whilst we accept that there is a day to day connection and we work well with that management team, we feel that fans experiences are different and viewed through different eyes. That is why we push for fans representation on the board.

The Supporters Club and Supporters Trust has merged. We meet monthly on the second Thursday each month at Bar BS3. We have an elected board and is a very representative group who now has a sizeable marketable database. We are involved in a lot of things, but perhaps we don't shout about it enough. We promoted the idea of the Fans Parliament, in fact, I wrote the terms of reference. It is about fans representation, whatever form that needs to take.

Just for the record, as Chair, I don't get a free parking space..... :rolleyes:

Archived