IGNORED

Elokobi Availability?

Robin Higgo

After hearing this "soft spot" for us, does anyone think this is a possible hint that he would consider returning to us?? I personally hope he does as was instantly a fans favourite and solidified the defence for a time ****il what happend), thoughts??

We've got Cunningham...

This. I know people expect him to leave but has 3 years left on his contract.

Two players most people on this forum would like to keep, Heaton and Cunningham, are constantly mentioned as "too good for League One". I however think we have a very good chance of keeping both.

Few would argue that they've been as much at fault as other players in our defence for this shambles of a season, but ultimately they were both pretty much ever-presents in a defence which conceded a wopping 84 goals this year.

Think of it this way, if City had stayed up somehow, and the solution that SO'D had to fix the defence was to sign players from a relegated team which had the worst defence in the Football League, how happy would you be?

Did I not read on the site that he hinted at staying due to having 3 years to run on his contract?

You may well have done, but do you think he, or the club, would turn down a good offer?

He was highly rated by other clubs when City signed him, I'd expect them to be back in for him now.

Doubt that very much. He's young, under a long contract, and doesn't count towards SCMP so he won't be going anywhere.

So, if a Championship club offer 600k. for Cunningham you are convinced the move would not go through?

Yes. Why would we sell?

Because we're Bristol City, an incompetent club run by incompetent people with little football knowledge. That's why.

Yes. Why would we sell?

Because we might consider it a fair price, the player would want to go, and we would not want to start a new era with unsettled players.

I've plucked the 600k. out of the air, it could be more. He's a full international and obviously didn't join BCFC to stagnate in the 3rd division.

A significant exaggeration. In any case, this is one mistake they won't make.

You've more faith than I do. Let's take the much discussed Brett Pitman. He'd a healthy season in league two, started league one with a bang and so we stormed in with (a reported) close too (if not more) £1m and presumably in excess of £10k wages given we snatched him from a then PL Blackpool a la Stead. He then has a very decent goalscoring record for us (1 in 3-3.5-ish off the top of my head) and then goes in Dec for no more than peanuts. He then scores for fun for a soon to be Bournemouth and within weeks we recruit a new gaffer who is known to be an admirer and has hinted as such.

Please forgive me for having little to no faith in those in charge of our dealings.

Because we might consider it a fair price, the player would want to go, and we would not want to start a new era with unsettled players.

I've plucked the 600k. out of the air, it could be more. He's a full international and obviously didn't join BCFC to stagnate in the 3rd division.

There won't be a £600k offer, because he has three years left on his contract and his wages are significant. Players don't realistically expect to be allowed to move in those circumstances and despite popular opinion nor do agents think they can prize a player out of a club in those circumstances easily either. It takes a boat load of money. Why?

If we accepted an offer we'd have to agree to pay up the majority of his contract, which would leave us with (assuming after the wage drop for league one he's still earning £4-5k a week) round about **** all.

Then we'd end up negative because we'd have to sign someone else, pay their wages AND that someone else would count towards SCMP.

His contract situation effectively prices him out of a move for at least another year, the only way it would happen is with ridiculous money which means a Prem club really and he's not proven enough for that.

It is not likely at all that he will leave.

You've more faith than I do. Let's take the much discussed Brett Pitman. He'd a healthy season in league two, started league one with a bang and so we stormed in with (a reported) close too (if not more) £1m and presumably in excess of £10k wages given we snatched him from a then PL Blackpool a la Stead. He then has a very decent goalscoring record for us (1 in 3-3.5-ish off the top of my head) and then goes in Dec for no more than peanuts. He then scores for fun for a soon to be Bournemouth and within weeks we recruit a new gaffer who is known to be an admirer and has hinted as such.

Please forgive me for having little to no faith in those in charge of our dealings.

He had about 6 months left on his contract, he was hardly playing under McInnes and had played infrequently under Millen. Neither is true of Cunningham.

If we accepted an offer we'd have to agree to pay up the majority of his contract, which would leave us with (assuming after the wage drop for league one he's still earning £4-5k a week) round about **** all.

I could well be wrong, and I may be (although I don't think I am), but my understanding is you only compensate for a loss of earnings. So, if he left on equal or more £'s there'd be nothing to pay.

all these names being chucked in the mix, the thing is i dont think were going to be in a position to buy any players 2 maybe 3 players @ the club still being on 10kpw, its going to be made up of cheap loans and the development squad i truly worry for next season

He had about 6 months left on his contract, he was hardly playing under McInnes and had played infrequently under Millen. Neither is true of Cunningham.

Absolutely I acknowledge there are differences. However, in my opinion it's the most recent example of extreme short sightedness by the club. A club happy to gamble with severance pay for one gaffer whilst recruiting another but not backing him, or him not making clear when incoming, in the market. I could have chosen many other examples, and if requested will do, but just went for the most recent on memory.

This. I know people expect him to leave but has 3 years left on his contract.

Two players most people on this forum would like to keep, Heaton and Cunningham, are constantly mentioned as "too good for League One". I however think we have a very good chance of keeping both.

Few would argue that they've been as much at fault as other players in our defence for this shambles of a season, but ultimately they were both pretty much ever-presents in a defence which conceded a wopping 84 goals this year.

Think of it this way, if City had stayed up somehow, and the solution that SO'D had to fix the defence was to sign players from a relegated team which had the worst defence in the Football League, how happy would you be?

I'd also argue that Greg never quite managed to regain his pre-Peterborough injury form, although it's hardly surprising with the way the rest of the team were performing when he returned

There won't be a £600k offer, because he has three years left on his contract and his wages are significant. Players don't realistically expect to be allowed to move in those circumstances and despite popular opinion nor do agents think they can prize a player out of a club in those circumstances easily either. It takes a boat load of money. Why?

Then we'd end up negative because we'd have to sign someone else, pay their wages AND that someone else would count towards SCMP.

His contract situation effectively prices him out of a move for at least another year, the only way it would happen is with ridiculous money which means a Prem club really and he's not proven enough for that.

It is not likely at all that he will leave.

Fair enough Nibor - from what you say the offer would have to be considerably in excess of the figure I plucked out of the air. It could indeed be more as I said.

I suppose there is always the possibility he would ask for a transfer if a really good career move cropped up.

Otherwise it looks like this time next year if we don't do well because I don't see him staying at City for a protracted period at our new level, but at that stage presumably the offer could be lower to reflect his shorter contract.

I'm more than happy for him to stay. He's a good player and character, and if he can maintain the same attitude in L1, a prime candidate to captain the side.

I could well be wrong, and I may be (although I don't think I am), but my understanding is you only compensate for a loss of earnings. So, if he left on equal or more £'s there'd be nothing to pay.

Nope, it's a fixed term contract, if you want to end it early you have to pay it up. If the player hands in a transfer request, they're effectively asking to end the contract early so you don't have to but otherwise you do. The player can choose to agree a compromise, but this would be rare and doesn't really matter since it's balanced by the transfer fee (any money the player demands of his club the club demand of the buyer).

If we want £500k for Cunningham, it'll actually cost the buying club over £1m for us to clear that, and that's before they pay him extra. That's why he won't be going IMO.

I'd also argue that Greg never quite managed to regain his pre-Peterborough injury form, although it's hardly surprising with the way the rest of the team were performing when he returned

He was regularly getting crunched, before and after the Peterbro' assault.

I've never seen a full back take so many unnecessary 'hits' from opposing sides.

You have to assume they really rated him as a threat.

Fair enough Nibor - from what you say the offer would have to be considerably in excess of the figure I plucked out of the air. It could indeed be more as I said.

I suppose there is always the possibility he would ask for a transfer if a really good career move cropped up.

Otherwise it looks like this time next year if we don't do well because I don't see him staying at City for a protracted period at our new level, but at that stage presumably the offer could be lower to reflect his shorter contract.

I'm more than happy for him to stay. He's a good player and character, and if he can maintain the same attitude in L1, a prime candidate to captain the side.

I agree with two years left it'd be different if we were still in league one. And with 18 months left it starts to look dangerous.

I'd very much like Cunningham to stay too and though I like Elokobi I can't see us affording him as a signing.

Archived