IGNORED

Elokobi Availability?

Robin Higgo

He seemed a decent sort but I notice that he went off injured again today, though fortunately it appears it was nowhere near as serious as the one he suffered with us.

I must admit I wouldn't be keen for us to sign him therefore even if Cunningham did move on.

High probability Cunningham will go.

If Elokobi is fit again he's character I'd love to see at AG.

Why would Cunningham go? He belongs to us on a long contract, and SO'D has already said he doesn't have to sell players.

600K? Are you having a laugh? It would cost us more to buy Elokobi (then pay his wages) and certainly a lot more for a replacement at his level.

The only way I can see Cunningham leaving is for something like 1.5 million, even then I would be surprised. Cunningham will be here next season, for sure.

Very surprised if Cunningham will stay in League 1. You HAVE to reduce your wages whatever SOD says and Cunningham won't be cheap. You will be lucky to get back what you paid for him even though he is under contract. Contracts and loyalty mean nothing these days and if a player does not want to be there he will be off. Your trouble will probably be that the players you want to keep will be the ones who are on the big wages and the ones that you don't want to keep (generally because they are crap)will generally be the ones who stay. Because of this you find the club will have to release its bigger paid players for very little fee but rather to get them off the wage bill.

Very surprised if Cunningham will stay in League 1. You HAVE to reduce your wages whatever SOD says and Cunningham won't be cheap. You will be lucky to get back what you paid for him even though he is under contract. Contracts and loyalty mean nothing these days and if a player does not want to be there he will be off. Your trouble will probably be that the players you want to keep will be the ones who are on the big wages and the ones that you don't want to keep (generally because they are crap)will generally be the ones who stay. Because of this you find the club will have to release its bigger paid players for very little fee but rather to get them off the wage bill.

Apologies if you know something I don't but I'd be surprised if Cunningham was one of our bigger earners. Yes, he came from Man City but was on his first contract there and it won't have been that high. He dropped down to us having only had one season on loan in the Championship. Admittedly we've got a track record of paying players far too much money but I'd guess he was on around about the halfway/lower halfway point of our earners.

I don't know but would be surprised if a young Manchester City player would move south and join a Championship club for low to mid wages.. It is a sad state of affairs where players move to clubs who pay high wages but unfortunately that is agents for you. When we were in League 1 we had a reputation amongst agents for being high payers in that division and it is difficult to get rid of that tag. The only way to do it is to reduce wages drastically but that generally also means that by doing that you will go off the agents radar. I think the big problem these days is that players are badly informed by their agents who are only interested in getting as big a slice as they can.

It's the same in the real world too. If you offer voluntary redundancies, the good people apply for it because they know they will get fixed up elsewhere. The bad people, the ones you HOPE will apply, think "Blimey, I'll never get a job elsewhere", and so don't apply

Cunningham's wages don't count towards SCMP. As for being lucky to get back what we've paid for him that's nonsense. It will be a massive offer or he's going nowhere.

Wrong.

Thanks, and also to others above who have seen fit to more or less repeat Nibor's explanation of Cunningham's situation.

Like them I am now better informed and accept his departure is less than a probability.

Nope, it's a fixed term contract, if you want to end it early you have to pay it up. If the player hands in a transfer request, they're effectively asking to end the contract early so you don't have to but otherwise you do. The player can choose to agree a compromise, but this would be rare and doesn't really matter since it's balanced by the transfer fee (any money the player demands of his club the club demand of the buyer).

If we want £500k for Cunningham, it'll actually cost the buying club over £1m for us to clear that, and that's before they pay him extra. That's why he won't be going IMO.

But for a player to move, the clubs need to agree a fee, and the player his personal terms. The player does not have to move, he does not have to give up his current contact. Surely bu signing a new deal he wavers his old one. If we were just to end his contact, then we'd have to pay.

I'm not sure, this is just what makes sense in my head

Just thinking of the defence that could of been, Cunningham-Bikey-Elokobi-Moloney, the situation could of been different :(

Sounds poor.

Bikey was slow and overrated when here and Elokobi only plays CB in emergencies. He's not the right type of player to play there all season.If he was playing CB he'd be playing on the same side as Cunningham too - not Moloney.

But for a player to move, the clubs need to agree a fee, and the player his personal terms. The player does not have to move, he does not have to give up his current contact. Surely bu signing a new deal he wavers his old one. If we were just to end his contact, then we'd have to pay.

I'm not sure, this is just what makes sense in my head

If the player really wants the move they can compromise (you can alter any contract with agreement from both parties) but the default position is the contract has to be paid up in full. It's a simple equation, if the remainder of your contract is worth £500k in wages and the club are offered £1m as a transfer, they are getting £500k profit on you - why should you give them more? What the buying club decides to offer you is between you and them, not your current club.

If you're a sought after player, you're going to do very well out of every transfer. You hold all the cards.

Archived