IGNORED

Keeper

dilligaf

If Tom stays, which mist of us hope he will, then he'll undoubtedly be number 1. As we have another youngster coming through the youth team as number 3, what that leaves us looking for is a number 2 and a coach. So perhaps one idea might be to get an experienced keeper who could act as both number 2 and a part-time coach? Not sure who'd fit that bill, mind you...

If Tom stays, which mist of us hope he will, then he'll undoubtedly be number 1. As we have another youngster coming through the youth team as number 3, what that leaves us looking for is a number 2 and a coach. So perhaps one idea might be to get an experienced keeper who could act as both number 2 and a part-time coach? Not sure who'd fit that bill, mind you...

Jamo? ;)

Has Neil Sullivan retired yet? He was at Donny for a while.

But that is another good coat cutting option along with the idea of utilising the emergency loan market in the event of injuries.

If Heaton signs there's no need to sign another keeper. He doesn't get injured often so no worries there. For a while now we have probably thrown quite a lot of wages away at having several senior keepers at the club. James and Gerken, Heaton and Gerken, of course Basso and Weale. There's no need for two senior GKs unless one is prone to injuries - its a key area where we can save a bit of cash.

I get what your saying but I think that would be very risky. Unless of course the youth keeper we have is an able stand in. I will be completely honest I have not seen Dylan Castanheira in action. I have however heard he is a promising talent. If so I think it would be a great idea to have him as a back up to Heaton, providing he signs of course. It sends out the right message, and as you say there's no point in clogging the squad up with a journeyman keeper if its not necessary.

I do hope Heaton signs. Mainly because we will not be able to attract anyone as good as him. To be honest though with Heaton the jury is still very much out with me and I have not been overly impressed with him this season. I have no doubt a lot of that is down to playing behind such a woeful defence. If he is to stay, for me, he has to have a huge season next campaign.

I get what your saying but I think that would be very risky. Unless of course the youth keeper we have is an able stand in. I will be completely honest I have not seen Dylan Castanheira in action. I have however heard he is a promising talent. If so I think it would be a great idea to have him as a back up to Heaton, providing he signs of course. It sends out the right message, and as you say there's no point in clogging the squad up with a journeyman keeper if its not necessary.

I do hope Heaton signs. Mainly because we will not be able to attract anyone as good as him. To be honest though with Heaton the jury is still very much out with me and I have not been overly impressed with him this season. I have no doubt a lot of that is down to playing behind such a woeful defence. If he is to stay, for me, he has to have a huge season next campaign.

Me neither. But if worst thing comes to worst there is the emergency loan window for keepers where you can get some capable replacement - like you said, obviously a risk, but I suspect the DoF and O'Driscoll will have made contingency plans and contacted other clubs on what keepers they can on loan and whether they are any decent.

as was henderson but look at the stink kicked up on here when he wasn't made number one after basso threw his toys out the pram,

We are a league one club now can't really afford two senior keepers,

Heaton No1 Pat Cash Number 2 and bring in a loan if ether get injured (after alll thats what the emergancy loan thing is designed for)

when that was happening Henderson had played 70+ senior games, you can't have some kid on the bench as a back up for a season, just look at Watford last game of the season,

As I said before you need to get someone like we did before when we got Henderson, someone few years on from the boy whose played some mans football albeit at reserve level, if Heaton gets injured we can throw on a kid.

Just need to look back to last time at this level, Steve Phillips had pretty much zero competition and put in some really dreadful performances as no one was pushing him for his place.

So with Gerken and Lewis Carey gone and Tom Heaton not guaranteed to sign a new contract offer looks like we maybe a bit lacking in the keeper department.

Isn't there a young American lad in the reserves who might be a number two option? Any one else any names who might fit the bill if Heaton moves on too?

Aint Fontaine our emergency keeper?

Has Neil Sullivan retired yet? He was at Donny for a while.

But that is another good coat cutting option along with the idea of utilising the emergency loan market in the event of injuries.

He played in their amazing win at Brentford, must be in his mid 40's by now would've thought.

Ive saw the young yank a few times and i must say he's the only player ive been impresssed with in the U19s. The Cardiff game in particular he was quality & kept us in it. High hopes for him. I think Heaton will stay anyway but would defo promote the yank to back up.

Your reckon he's up to it mate? Strengths? Weaknesses? How tall is he?

when that was happening Henderson had played 70+ senior games, you can't have some kid on the bench as a back up for a season, just look at Watford last game of the season,

As I said before you need to get someone like we did before when we got Henderson, someone few years on from the boy whose played some mans football albeit at reserve level, if Heaton gets injured we can throw on a kid.

Just need to look back to last time at this level, Steve Phillips had pretty much zero competition and put in some really dreadful performances as no one was pushing him for his place.

Henderson never played a senior game before he came here and during his spell here he played around 60 out on loan mostly for yeovil while James and gerkin were here

Your reckon he's up to it mate? Strengths? Weaknesses? How tall is he?

I think so bud. Looks a good 6ft+ & very vocal. Positional sense & decision making look all sound. Far from any GK expert but i feel safe when watching him. Ill compare him to a similar lad at Stockport called Iain Ormson. He too is 18 but played 30+ first team games, highley rated (tracked by many- had trial at Spurs late last year) and i would say he's no better than our Castanheira.

Nonense for anyone to say he's too young to stick on the bench next season. Unless you got a Basso, Kirkland or a Richard Wright in goal bench keepers hardly ever get called upon. If Heaton (or whoevers our 1st choice) was to get injured for a decent spell, loan GKs are easily available.

Wont happen though as i reckon Heaton will stay, a new back up GK will come in & Castanheria will replace Lewis Carey in the U21s.

Pray that Heaton signs the deal, that alone would put me in a much more positive mood for next season.

If unfortunately he opts not to stay (fingers crossed that's not the case), how about Stephen Henderson? It was a mistake offering a deal to Gerken that year as well as Henderson.

I think so bud. Looks a good 6ft+ & very vocal. Positional sense & decision making look all sound. Far from any GK expert but i feel safe when watching him. Ill compare him to a similar lad at Stockport called Iain Ormson. He too is 18 but played 30+ first team games, highley rated (tracked by many- had trial at Spurs late last year) and i would say he's no better than our Castanheira.

Nonense for anyone to say he's too young to stick on the bench next season. Unless you got a Basso, Kirkland or a Richard Wright in goal bench keepers hardly ever get called upon. If Heaton (or whoevers our 1st choice) was to get injured for a decent spell, loan GKs are easily available.

Wont happen though as i reckon Heaton will stay, a new back up GK will come in & Castanheria will replace Lewis Carey in the U21s.

Sounds promising. He surely has to be considered as a number two if Heaton signs?

I like the fact he's at least 6 foot. Good size for a keeper. For me, Lewis Carey was just too small for a keeper.

Sounds promising. He surely has to be considered as a number two if Heaton signs?

I like the fact he's at least 6 foot. Good size for a keeper. For me, Lewis Carey was just too small for a keeper.

Mate of mine at Clevedon said the same thing about Carey. I remember Mcinnes said at the start of the season he wanted him out on loan to a league club but obviously there were no takers & ended up at Weston i think it was in March. I think hell be released shortly.

SoD has stated that he's looking for an optimum 1st team squad of around 18-20 players, with backup provided by u-21's if injuries/suspensions hit.

I would say these numbers suggest we won't be carrying 3 full-time keepers on our books.

If Heaton signs (which I do hope he will), then 'Jersey Sure-Hands' will be the number 2.

If Heaton gets injured, it's easy peasy to get a Prem keeper on loan who can plug & play.

As mentioned earlier, Iain Ormson up at Stockport is a good young 'un. With Stockport relegated from the Blue Square and being out of contract, if we do want a 3rd keeper to provide competition to Castanheira, I like this lad.

I wish we'd managed to pick up Karl Darlow from Forest before Davies went back and knew of his worth. McLeish had no idea and SoD knows all about him - too late now though, he's Forest's number 1 now!

In the event Heaton doesn't sign, easiest thing to do would be call Wigan and ask for Luke Nicholls on loan for the season. Kid looks excellent.

Looking forward to his 'electric' performances.

Maybe he can get rid of the Gas?

It's lights out for the opposition strikers!

The defence will make sure they stay switched on.

Sorry - I'll stop now!

Good spot Harry that Wigan keeper. I was at the Chelentham/Norhampton match recently & he looked sound. Kicking not great but what keepers is. Whilst their i got chatting to a Chelt regular & he said Nicolls was the one they wanted if they couldnt get Butland season before last season, which i thought was interesting.

Archived