IGNORED

Fa Cup

Tall King Blox

Is it just me or has this once great showpiece of English football declined into just another "game on the telly" i know this has been discussed at length on other threads but this morning at around 8.15

somone told me it was cup final day !!! i was shocked, maybe fergie retiring has taken it's thunder

or maybe i, like a lot of us just aint interested anymore.

I remember as a yoof i would wait in aticipation for at least a week before the final, drooling over the

prospect of watching a live game, and hearing the songs echoing around the old Wembley,

Seeing all the fans walking up wembley way, all the colour, all the noise, the pre match build up

the interviews with players, managers, and the fans, it was an event, an all day event,

Weeks before the game me and my mates would decide who's house we would watch the match in

then on the day we would stock up with beers, food n fags ( cigarettes btw ) it would be an occasion to

savour, Then 3 o,clock would arrive, not 5,oclock or some other money driven slot that suited the

advertisers who wanted to show their wares to the U.S. market

Then it was over, three parts to the wind and a sore throat, it used to mean something.....

NOW IT MEANS SWEET F.A.

I was just about to start a thread with the same thoughts. I don't think I'll even watch.

The 5:15 ko is a pi55 take. No consideration for the fans at all. Will people have to miss extra time if it got that far to get the last train home?

I will watch and I think football fans should continue to back the FA Cup, but the truth is the growth of televised football, the Premier League and the Champions League has damaged it massively. I do have the answer though...

1. FA Cup is always the final game of the domestic season, 3pm ko on a Saturday.

2. Champions League spot for the winner.

3. Some of the Premiership's enormous prize money is diverted to the teams that make the last eight of the Cup.

Sadly there is little chance of any of that happening.

My main moan is that it should be at the end of the season. Wigan have an arguably more important game at Arsenal on Tuesday and there has even been talk of resting a few players for that game. Notice that ESPN started the cup final coverage at 8am just the nine hours before kick off?!

I will watch and I think football fans should continue to back the FA Cup, but the truth is the growth of televised football, the Premier League and the Champions League has damaged it massively. I do have the answer though...

1. FA Cup is always the final game of the domestic season, 3pm ko on a Saturday.

3. Some of the Premier League's enormous prize money is diverted to the teams that make the last eight of the Cup.

Agree with all above with one addition, ALL tickets to go to the two finalists, any left over given to semi finalists etc etc

3. Some of the Premier League's enormous prize money is diverted to the teams that make the last eight of the Cup.

Dunno about point 3, but 2 would make people sit up and pay attention to it, but the fa cup final should be the last game after all FL and PL and CL matches and be at 3pm in the sunshine on a saturday. If the weather fails to comply then a fine should be given to the Met office

Is it really a 5.15 kick off? This is terrible. We had the most prestigious domestic tournament in the world and it's been ruined.

Premier league, you only play 38 games a season, can't you get them finished earlier? Was extending the premier league season a deliberate action to kill the FA cup?

This is why I'm getting fed up with football, it's all Premier/Champions league. Always bleating about playing too many games. Scrap the Champions League and bring back the European Cup then.

Players don't even want to play for their national team any more. I'd love to see the money end of football fall flat on its face.

5.15 ko for two teams from the north is just embarrassing. No consideration for the fans what so ever.

It doesn't have that same feel anymore. So weird. You would usually wake up and have that FA cup final day feeling. Not today, I had to remind myself it was on!

Just discussing this.

Crap nowadays , what happened to Cup Final Mastermind , Question of Sport , interviews with the players at the hotels**?

As others have said , money and the premier league have taken over now , it's sad that the FA have devalued their own competition. Mind you , it was always going to happen once they let Man Utd pull out for the World Club tournament.

** I remember before the Man City v Spurs final , they were interviewing someone about what the players had for breakfast and he said Gerry Gow had raw steak and 6 inch nails !!

I believe I'm right in saying that the FA have confirmed that the FA Cup final will be the final game of the domestic season for the next 3 years, however, I think they are sticking to a 5:15 finish. The reason given for the final not being in it's rightful place this season is because the Champions League final (being played at Wembley) has taken it's place.

Agree with all of these. How can you play premier league fixtures on cup final day? It ain't right. It should bring the curtain down on the season.

Agree 100% with point 2

I would also give a Champions League spot to the winners of the League cup

Reward teams who WIN things Not teams who finish 2nd 3rd or even 4th!!!!

Some good points there.

However,with Platini's latest rumoured plan to end the Europa Cup competition, and let our TOP SEVEN (!!) enter the Champions League, I fear the FA Cup will be devalued still further.

This could lead to the entire Premier League ignoring the competition.

The top 12 or so would be fixated with finishing 7th, the rest worrying about relegation.

Agree 100% with point 2

I would also give a Champions League spot to the winners of the League cup

Reward teams who WIN things Not teams who finish 2nd 3rd or even 4th!!!!

I know what you mean. I get fed up with teams aiming to come 4th each year. It's ridiculous.

However, not sure the winner should be rewarded with champions league. Take today for example, Man C already qualified so would that mean Wigan would be handed the CL spot? Not sure that's the right way around it.

Some good points there.

However,with Platini's latest rumoured plan to end the Europa Cup competition, and let our TOP SEVEN (!!) enter the Champions League, I fear the FA Cup will be devalued still further.

This could lead to the entire Premier League ignoring the competition.

The top 12 or so would be fixated with finishing 7th, the rest worrying about relegation.

Bring back the FA Cup, sponsored by UKIP!

I know what you mean. I get fed up with teams aiming to come 4th each year. It's ridiculous.

However, not sure the winner should be rewarded with champions league. Take today for example, Man C already qualified so would that mean Wigan would be handed the CL spot? Not sure that's the right way around it.

Man City would not of already qualified if the rules were changed

1st CL place goes to the League champions

2nd to the FA Cup Winners

3rd to League cup winners

4th to 2nd place in league

BETTER STILL

CL goes back to straight ko with only the CHAMPIONS from each league taking part!!!!

Man City would not of already qualified if the rules were changed

1st CL place goes to the League champions

2nd to the FA Cup Winners

3rd to League cup winners

4th to 2nd place in league

BETTER STILL

CL goes back to straight ko with only the CHAMPIONS from each league taking part!!!!

Not a bad idea to be fair.

I like the idea about the champs lge too! Way too many joke teams in what's meant to be Europe's elite CHAMPIONS trophy.

Sponsored by Budweiser, says it all really.

Spot on. The FA's sold its soul to a purveyor of p155.

The 5.15 kick off is to make it more attractive to foreign viewers.

'Nuff said. Real fans who recall the FA Cup meaning anything can **** off, whilst we just chase the money to pay for the mahoosive White Elephant AKA New Wembley. £800M - the same price as a large regional hospital, for example.

FWIW, I hope Wigan win it

As others have said it has to be the last game of the season, not when the Premiership still has games and relegation issues still not resolved. It has to be 3 o'clock kick off on a Saturday. When I was a kid there was a build up for weeks as a TV game was so rare, during the match the streets would be deserted only for all us kids to appear again outside at half time for a kick about, once the match started everyone would disappear again leaving areas eerily quiet.

And look at all the empty seats!

Archived