IGNORED

City Legends - What Were They Like?

SecretSam

So I've heard lots of talk about City legends of the past on various posts on here.

Was wondering what some of the following were like - as players and as people - drawing on the views of those that saw them play:

• Paul Cheesley - was he really the potential international that many suggest? A big bad no.9 only good in the air, or much more?
  • John Atyeo - ditto, really
  • Kevin Mabbutt - met him, briefly, as a kid, saw him play but too young to remember fully
  • Jan Moller

If anyone wants to post their "legends I never saw", feel free to post on here, I've got a few years of memories so happy to respond.

Saw Atyeo in the final three seasons of his career. A gentle giant until he put a red shirt on then it was like he had city blood in his veins, great positional awareness, tremendous header of the ball, great control (remember footballs were alot heavier and soaked up water in the wet). But best of all when he shot he hit the target regularly.

John Galley was an unsung hero but came to City and help save them from relegation. A typical bustling centre forward with a tremendous bullet like header. Real hero of the East end in the early seventies

Cheesley came to City at the right time when Dicks had seen the best of John Gallery, No nonsense centre forward good header of the ball and knew how to look after himself (more like a heavyweight boxer).

Gerry Gow, remember when he first came into the side a weedy little kid but a heart of a lion and as he mature become the heart in midfield and never stopped running. Remember the battle of the Aloma (1-0 away win at WBA in the 1976 promotion season the bloke ran his socks off and with minutes to go he looked like he would keel over with exhaustion).

Norman Hunter in the twilight of his career when he joined City but how we could of done with him in the last twelve months. Best defender every to grace the grass at Ashton Gate, No nonsense defender with the knack of timing his tackle to stop attackers and if that didn't work he took them out especially when he was the last defender. His best quality as a defender was the same accurate left foot that Tinnion had, Could pick player out with a 30 yard pass turning defence into attack..

So I've heard lots of talk about City legends of the past on various posts on here.

Was wondering what some of the following were like - as players and as people - drawing on the views of those that saw them play:

• Paul Cheesley - was he really the potential international that many suggest? A big bad no.9 only good in the air, or much more?
  • John Atyeo - ditto, really
  • Kevin Mabbutt - met him, briefly, as a kid, saw him play but too young to remember fully
  • Jan Moller

If anyone wants to post their "legends I never saw", feel free to post on here, I've got a few years of memories so happy to respond.

Paul Cheesely, although a Bristol lad came to us via Norwich City for around £30,000 in 73/74 from memory, which initially looked like daylight robbery (by Norwich) as we saw a slow lumbering old style centre forward, who was nowhere near as good as Donnie Gillies, who was our main forward at the time. But what a transformation by 75/76. Somewhere along the line Alan Dicks had turned this kid into a class act, powerful in the air, strong , pacey, skillful and clever and now combined with great presence, and a cutting edge first touch when laying the ball off on the ground (normally to Clive Whitehead or Tom Ritchie) and then steaming into the penalty area and generally being a nightmare to 2nd tier defenders. He was called up for England Under 23s but as City were going for (and getting) promotion, he was not released. The he scored a cracking winner at Highbury, a headed goal from a Whitehead cross.on the opening day, got injured in a collision with Peter Shilton in the next game at home to stoke, and that was pretty much it, one attempted comeback against Birmingham. I have no doubt that had he maintained that level of performance and kept injury free, he would have been in the full England set-up before long.

Paul Cheesely, although a Bristol lad came to us via Norwich City for around £30,000 in 73/74 from memory, which initially looked like daylight robbery (by Norwich) as we saw a slow lumbering old style centre forward, who was nowhere near as good as Donnie Gillies, who was our main forward at the time. But what a transformation by 75/76. Somewhere along the line Alan Dicks had turned this kid into a class act, powerful in the air, strong , pacey, skillful and clever and now combined with great presence, and a cutting edge first touch when laying the ball off on the ground (normally to Clive Whitehead or Tom Ritchie) and then steaming into the penalty area and generally being a nightmare to 2nd tier defenders. He was called up for England Under 23s but as City were going for (and getting) promotion, he was not released. The he scored a cracking winner at Highbury, a headed goal from a Whitehead cross.on the opening day, got injured in a collision with Peter Shilton in the next game at home to stoke, and that was pretty much it, one attempted comeback against Birmingham. I have no doubt that had he maintained that level of performance and kept injury free, he would have been in the full England set-up before long.

indeed I recall we played the gas at home that season and he scored in a 1-1 draw and then he suddenly became transformed into a great striker, it's the old confidence thing I suppose.

He could have been as good as he wanted to be, no doubt about that, he was brave very brave during our run in to the 1st division, he was carrying an injury and would start all games having had the dreaded cortesone injections and usually score and then be brought off whilst we tried to hang on to a lead and we were quite good at that our defence was solid, if he was ever going to have a downfall he liked a pint or three, but so did virtually every pro in those days, that is not any criticism at all it was the norm.

Have to agree with New Dazzler, Cheesley was (in City terms) a great player would have gone on to really big things. Quick 2 footed and superb in the air, in that team with Tom Ritchie (who I didn't realise what a good player he was until he left and came back) Clive Whitehead brilliant winger also 2 footed and skill full,Cheesely was the ideal forward.

To continue the thread:

Gow, what can you say about the guy. Often said amongst my mates that we have never replaced him !

Mabb's very good but not a legend , didn't play enough to be a legend.

Geoff Merrick I always thought was class and I was a little put out when he was moved to left back .Legend ? possibly

Chris Garland, he was the golden boy of the team I started watching (with big John Galley) , deserves Legend status for coming back and keeping us up that first year in Div 1.

Alan Walsh, yes! pass , shoot and the step over brilliant... Legend.

Terry Cooper, good first time around but the appearances as a late sub on the left wing in Div 4 and as manager makes him a legend in my eyes.

Bob Taylor,Glyn Riley,Bob Newman,Jackie, Shaun Taylor there are a few that you could probably make cases for but when you get to my age the memory starts to play up!

Gow, Cheesley, Merrick, Ritchie, Whitehead, Tainton, were all fantastic players, nobody has come close to them since except maybe Tinnion.

Different era I know but along with the skill that allowed them to play top flight football they all had huge hearts, guts and character

and would do anything for the red shirt - including , as we all know (in some cases) tear up the contract

1976 to 1981 and maltshoveller managed to miss everyone of Gows probable 150 or so games?, now that would be an impressive miracle.

I was 8 to 11 back then At that age your in awe of every player in a city shirt

I dont think i can judge a player of that era

Most talented midfielder i have seen at city by miles

I would agree. The ability to control and move the ball in the tightest of spaces was special. The time he made for himself showed the class he had.

Shame he was/is a pisshead and let himself down In training.

Terry Cooper , for me , is a true legend. The man responsible for the rebirth of our club. Some of the players he managed to sign for nothing or next to nothing was nothing short of amazing. The likes of Riley , Walsh , Crawford , Pritchard playing alongside kids and part time students a la Martyn Hirst , whilst coming off the bench himself at the age of 40.

If anyone deserves something named after them it's TC. Sadly we'll probably leave it too late.

Archived