IGNORED

City Legends - What Were They Like?

SecretSam

Paul Cheesley is the epitome of a player who is over hyped beyond his actual ability\achievements

A good player, but nowhere near as good as some would have you believe

Tosh!

Cheesley was the real deal, would have got 50 caps if he'd stayed fit.

Amazing how you can confidently say that after such a short career.

He was never capped for England, and had a good, but not outstanding goal record at the time of retirement.

When Sag colleagues tell me how good he was I tend to believe it. Consider who led the England attack at the time - McDonald, Mariner, Royle and co. You can only judge players by the time they played in those they played against and he was up there with the best.

In the dark days of late 60s Division 2 struggles for survival Garland and Galley were are good as anyone in that league as was Gibson between the sticks.

In the early to mid 70s, Keith Fear had the "wow" factor but didn't deliver often enough.

In the promotion season of 1975-76 We had Merrick, Gow and Cheesley who were outstanding and a core of a dozen others who were bloody good.

But only one true legend in my opinion. the word is over-used and Big John is the only one who deserves it as far as I am concerned.

Big John Galley was my hero. Not the greatest player to ever pull on the red shirt but a City legend nonetheless. IIRC he scored a hat-trick on his debut (think we got him from Rotherham?)

Surprised no one has mentioned Super Bob yet

I didn't mention him 'cos I'd seen a lot of his games - to be fair, he was in an excellent team (Shelton, Gavin, Biff to name but 3) but his ability to score insane goals from anywhere was truly astonishing. I've got a friend who's a Bolton fan and she says they love him too, and at West Brom he's a gold-plated legend, and they've had a few.

For those unlucky enough to have missed his time with us, top bloke, not tall - 5'10" or so? - but amazing in the air, had a shot like an exocet and could score from anywhere, but invariably missed sitters (see Chelsea game)! Never took penalties, so his goals are all 'real' (can't abide strikers figures where they include penalties - always think these should be shown separately). Not quick but great touch, good vision and his shooting ability made up for his lack of speed - one touch and BANG.

Oh - and as for Jacki, yes, very talented - painfully so - but only played a handful of games and was a little too fond of a drink, etc. Also went missing in games and if he didn't feel like it, he'd not really bother. But rare among the City players that I've seen in that he could destroy a team on his own.

Oh - and not much mention of Andy Cole. Massive ego but quite a player - we took a huge risk signing him for £500k in the early 90s (a fortune then), but he repaid this with a shitload of goals. Massive pace, great positional sense and a selfish-but-effective shoot on sight policy. Missed a lot but scored plenty.

The Board never inserted a sell-on clause when they let him go to 'Toon, which just sums that era up nicely. We sold him for £2.2M, he went to ManUre for ?£7M a couple of seasons later. D'oh!

Of course I agree with most of the above but it's Ernie Hunt for me and we even copied his donkey kick :laugh::bonkers:

I have a feeling you have a good reason to say that Mr Lovechild...........

One who always impressed me was Rob Newman ..........Biff could play anywhere across the back four or midfield and keep a constant level of quality in his game.as well as score goals ......was even stuck up front at time of hardship ......

Paul Cheesley is the epitome of a player who is over hyped beyond his actual ability\achievements

A good player, but nowhere near as good as some would have you believe

You are entitled to an opinion. But, please use words we can all understand.

Archived