IGNORED

Ashton Vale V Ashton Gate

NickJ

Dave Whelan said building the JJB was absolutely central to attracting players and corporate partners, and that is a club which on the basis of logic has no right to be in the Premier League. That fact they've been there as long as they have, and had the recent success they have shows what can be achieved.

This.

So it looks like AV is off the agenda, probably any new ground is now out of the question. That is sad and devastating news if so. A new stadium is badly needed. AG is old, its stale, tired, a bit like BCFC itself. I am struggling to see whether redevelopment of AG will really make a sufficiant difference. The whole club needs a new start, a new direction. A new ground has to be a major part of the answer. AG will never be as grand as a new stadium as no amount of redevelopment (unless a complete rebuild is undertaken) will bring it anywhere near to the facilities a new purpose built stadium would have brought. If the club get backs to the championship, or even the premier league AG is not going to be good enough. The toilets are badly planned, you have to queue for ages at half time, even with gates of just 12,000. Don't mention about purchasing food or drinks! And parking is dire around the whole area. How adequetly will these areas be addresses? No - a new stadium is an absolute requirement. Not only that, I reckon Ashton Gate is jinxed.

I have only been going down there for about 22 years, the first time when we were in the old Div. 3. We have been so near yet so far from achieving anything apart from 2 promotions (and 3 relegations) and nearly getting to the Premier League. Think what a great boost a new stadium would give to the city of Bristol and to BCFC. Think about the kids in the city who love football yet support from afar those top Premier clubs. Why don't they come to see BCFC play (or even the Gas)? Because the grounds are rubbish that's why. Just look at the the teams that have had new grounds built in the last 15 years. The majority of them in leagues above where we will be playing next season! And what attraction is there to a player of any decency to come to BCFC? Perhaps that is why we have to pay them excessive wages to get them to come to a sleeping "giant" with a crap ground in the first place. And if Rovers get into Div. 1 and boast a new ground the neutrals might well choose our rivals over us.

Sorry, but I love this club, but sometimes you can take too much. And I think at times this club treats it's supporters like idiots. Trouble is - perhaps some of us are.

F@@king right.

I've never been keen on "new stadium".

Ashton Gate is our home and personally been never keen on moving out and selling our history for 'business reasons'. For years we have been sold the myth of the "must need" of a new ground which to me never rang true. "Corporate spin"

For years the club along with the "supporters club/trust cronies" have spun this myth which has finally been proven to be a crock of crap.

The new gate looks INSPRIED to the extent, I now honestly want the nimby's to win., if anything the lack of investment to the gate since the Atyeo was opened has been criminal and short sighted. We should have corporate boxes but short sightedness has ignored that.

Screw the Vale. the Gate is our HOME

Well said. I completely agree.

So it looks like AV is off the agenda, probably any new ground is now out of the question. That is sad and devastating news if so.

No.....still fully on the agenda and we will know more when the next review is due in October. In the meantime, the club are putting in place another plan in conjunction with AV should Octobers review either not go our way or is delayed even further.

The club want planning permission in place for AG by the end of the summer so that they have concurrent planning permissions in place ready for the review on AV in October. Subject to the review,* they can make a decision on whether to go with AG where work is likely to start at the end of the 2013/2014 season....or if its AV then work could conceivably start immediatley.

* yes, most people seem to have already made thier own minds up its dead in the water but the reality is at this moment in time it is not

So it looks like AV is off the agenda, probably any new ground is now out of the question. That is sad and devastating news if so. A new stadium is badly needed. AG is old, its stale, tired, a bit like BCFC itself. I am struggling to see whether redevelopment of AG will really make a sufficiant difference. The whole club needs a new start, a new direction. A new ground has to be a major part of the answer. AG will never be as grand as a new stadium as no amount of redevelopment (unless a complete rebuild is undertaken) will bring it anywhere near to the facilities a new purpose built stadium would have brought. If the club get backs to the championship, or even the premier league AG is not going to be good enough. The toilets are badly planned, you have to queue for ages at half time, even with gates of just 12,000. Don't mention about purchasing food or drinks! And parking is dire around the whole area. How adequetly will these areas be addresses? No - a new stadium is an absolute requirement. Not only that, I reckon Ashton Gate is jinxed.

I have only been going down there for about 22 years, the first time when we were in the old Div. 3. We have been so near yet so far from achieving anything apart from 2 promotions (and 3 relegations) and nearly getting to the Premier League. Think what a great boost a new stadium would give to the city of Bristol and to BCFC. Think about the kids in the city who love football yet support from afar those top Premier clubs. Why don't they come to see BCFC play (or even the Gas)? Because the grounds are rubbish that's why. Just look at the the teams that have had new grounds built in the last 15 years. The majority of them in leagues above where we will be playing next season! And what attraction is there to a player of any decency to come to BCFC? Perhaps that is why we have to pay them excessive wages to get them to come to a sleeping "giant" with a crap ground in the first place. And if Rovers get into Div. 1 and boast a new ground the neutrals might well choose our rivals over us.

Sorry, but I love this club, but sometimes you can take too much. And I think at times this club treats it's supporters like idiots. Trouble is - perhaps some of us are.

I agree with your opinions and sentiments Opeth67.the only thing I will differ with is you saying people don't come to BCFC because the ground is rubbish.much more like the teams were playing against are rubbish imo.get in the prem and we would pack the gate as it stands now, thats the yardstick we need to go by so a refurbished A.G.or A.V.is absolutely vital and the sooner the better.

if we didn't own the old hireright place and that other building behind the williams then the willams wouldn't be rebuilt as there wasn't enough room, now we (Steve Lansdown) do own that land we can

Hirerite yes, but the braby site is still in use and is nothing to do with it. A little extra space is being created by removing the temporary ticket boxes/steward terrapins or whatever they are up against the far wall.

AG was always stated as 2nd choice, the fall back option. If today they could start work on either AV or AG, i would be staggered if they chose the latter, regardless of the u-turn statement from the Fans Parliment mins.

I would imagine that the club would prefer the AV option (otherwise why go to all the trouble in the first place?) however Im reassured that if the option for a new stadium becomes unavailable they are willing to finance a redevelopment at AG.

The problem the club have in a way created for themselves is that by showing fans that the AG option is a possibility if AV falls through, more and more fans who were previously pro AV are becoming more excited by the prospect of staying at a redeveloped AG even though financially AV would probably be better for the club.

Personally my head says Ashton Vale but my heart says Ashton Gate. It's going to be intresting.

I would imagine that the club would prefer the AV option (otherwise why go to all the trouble in the first place?) however Im reassured that if the option for a new stadium becomes unavailable they are willing to finance a redevelopment at AG.

The problem the club have in a way created for themselves is that by showing fans that the AG option is a possibility if AV falls through, more and more fans who were previously pro AV are becoming more excited by the prospect of staying at a redeveloped AG even though financially AV would probably be better for the club.

Personally my head says Ashton Vale but my heart says Ashton Gate. It's going to be intresting.

That's how I see it Ted. Home is where the heart is but in this day an age revenue streams are all important if you want to compete with the best.

AV was supposed to bring in revenue where AG simply could not. I've no idea now what the real truth is although I still suspect we have been spun a line this time.

I have only been going down there for about 22 years, the first time when we were in the old Div. 3. We have been so near yet so far from achieving anything apart from 2 promotions (and 3 relegations) and nearly getting to the Premier League. Think what a great boost a new stadium would give to the city of Bristol and to BCFC. Think about the kids in the city who love football yet support from afar those top Premier clubs. Why don't they come to see BCFC play (or even the Gas)? Because the grounds are rubbish that's why. Just look at the the teams that have had new grounds built in the last 15 years. The majority of them in leagues above where we will be playing next season!

People go and watch football because the ground is new? What the **** ? Those fans at palace the other night on TV must have been a mirage. Whilst the fans at Coventry must be invisible.

King Carrot - the majority of fans going to BCity are diehards - the majority are season ticket holders. In a new AV (at Championship level) our gates for the would be considerably higher than the average achieved over the last 6 years. Those that have not committed themselves to going but who have thought about it would invariably change their minds if the ground was a modern arena with better facilities. Just look at Brighton, Huddersfield, Leicester, Hull and so on. Their gates increased very quickly once they moved into their new grounds.

Yes - I do agree with you about the team playing decent football, but come on - even if we were playing decent football AG would still not be sold out. Very rarely has it ever been. If AV was already up and running I would be most surprised if the average gates did not exceed 18000 most weeks. People (inc. families here) want to have an enjoyable afternoon out - part of the attraction is being in a nice clean environment with good, accessible, facilities. For a lot of people it is about the overall package. AG does not give that, and I am not sure a "redeveloped" AG will do that either. It's OK for me, I am a BCFC season ticket holder so will still be going to AG or AV (finances permitting!) but I would much prefer to watch my footie in a newer decent stadium.

Spot on Ted,, sums up my feeling too!

The only thing I would add is that we would lose some of ' the new ground' effect (potential new supporters) should we stay at AG but to totally nullify my point, I would hate the atmosphere at AV to resemble the atmosphere at Cardiff recently. I don't do foam hands and clappy cardboard things.

I'm don't care which we get as long as we get one,

We will not compete at Ashton Gate currently and have been left in the shadow of Reading, Swansea, Brighton, Wigan, Cardiff because of our dated facilities,

The re-build or new ground isn't about how many fans we can get in or whether we can get it to 40k in the future,

its about getting a slice of the corprate pie that now dictaits club finances all over the globe,

We don't have any and thats the biggest wieght round our necks holding us back,

From Fans Parliament Minutes:

"At the end of his presentation MG asked for a show of hands and a clear majority voted in favour of the redevelopment of Ashton Gate over a new stadium at Ashton Vale."

"MA then expressed his concern of remaining at Ashton Gate with tight restrictions. But MG explained that Ashton Gate can produce as much income as a new stadium at Ashton Vale."

So the alleged minority in opposition to a new stadium were right along then.

all part of the gradual drip-drip to introduce AG as the plan A...they were never gonna scrub AV overnight even when seeing the light and realising it wasnt to be..

Archived