IGNORED

I Really Respect Cardiff Council...

spudski

I think the point is being slightly missed here... it's not so much the money, but the willingness by the Council to open their eyes to new ideas, embrace them and put them into action.

There have been numerous ideas put forward in Bristol, all privately funded, but they never come to fruition.

Bristol is a wonderful place to live... don't get me wrong... we're lucky to live here, but imo it's definately looking worn out of late.

It needs a spark...

So first phase they are starting with an ice-rink, hmm, ice skating once one of Bristols strong points and a massive crowd puller a couple of decades ago.... what did we do with ours? -let it delapidate into a mess and susequently die (still had lots of fans though)... we've only got one outdoor skating facility in our city now at Ashton Vale and thats too weather reliant (anyone been there?.. tbh I've only heard about it third hand myself ). So we had a top rated ice facility neglected its potential and allowed it to crumble. Cardiff didnt have one -but they are about to.

Spot the difference.

Like Spudski says the City of Bristol needs a spark to get it going again, bit like us, Bristol City too, hopefully we'll soon get ourselves a Flint & do just that! :)

No - Cardiff had an ice rink and a pretty decent ice hockey team, the Cardiff Devils.

The rink was at the edge of the central shopping area and was demolished to make way for yet another new shopping complex anchored , by the biggest John Lewis store outside London, one that is a few minutes walk from the central railway station and bus station rather than stuck out miles away like Cribbs Causeway.

The new rink was part of the agreement for allowing the new shops development which was brought about by the general feelgood factor the Millennium and "can do" attitude had encouraged.

The liberal middle class of IT workers and bloggers have taken over Bristol. There are happy to stop all progress within the City and with a Mayor who supports the idea of Bristol returning to becoming a village things will only get worse .

They think having a graffiti weekend makes Bristol a great place to live ?

The Mayor have no interest in sports arena he only cares about lentils munching hippys.

The liberal middle class of IT workers and bloggers have taken over Bristol. There are happy to stop all progress within the City and with a Mayor who supports the idea of Bristol returning to becoming a village things will only get worse .

They think having a graffiti weekend makes Bristol a great place to live ?

The Mayor have no interest in sports arena he only cares about lentils munching hippys.

you forgot the most important thing there bs3!

we got the gay rugby European cup in Bristol so everythings fine

Fantastic post and exactly how i see it.

Yes! I agree with every word, I worked on Cardiff Buses for 13 years before I retired and as I drove around over those years I saw what was going on. There was change for the better every year and Cardiff Bay when I first moved there was nothing, just a few buildings and roads. I think that they have change Cardiff for the better and the last time I came back home a few years ago to show my wife my home city, all I could see was bad planning and not much was different than when I left in 1987.

Archived