IGNORED

Dylan Hartley

Rob k

He's now a national disgrace, whereas most footballers get away with it 2 or 3 times a game!

Can't understand why there's not a similar rule in football, i.e., captains talk to the ref (respectfully) if their team has a problem with something that's gone on, and everyone else keeps their mouth shut...

All a bit odd. In rugby you get a 6 week ban for shouting ****ing cheat. But a 2 match ban for punching someone.

While I agree with the ban for shouting at the ref (although he claims it was aimed at an opponent) surely decking someone deserves a longer ban.

All a bit odd. In rugby you get a 6 week ban for shouting ****ing cheat. But a 2 match ban for punching someone.

While I agree with the ban for shouting at the ref (although he claims it was aimed at an opponent) surely decking someone deserves a longer ban.

The difference is that rugby players have a mutual respect and understanding that the referee must be respected at all times. If you swing for someone, you can expect every tackle that comes your way to be huge, and at every break down, someones studs to get intimate with your ankle. But at full time, they shake hands and go for a pint. What happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch. When have you ever seen a player who has been punched get all worked up, call his assailant a disgrace to the game. It's all part and parcel. I've been punched in a rugby game, wasn't to pleased at the time, but at full time his was the first hand I shook, and congratulated him on his shot.

The difference is that rugby players have a mutual respect and understanding that the referee must be respected at all times. If you swing for someone, you can expect every tackle that comes your way to be huge, and at every break down, someones studs to get intimate with your ankle. But at full time, they shake hands and go for a pint. What happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch. When have you ever seen a player who has been punched get all worked up, call his assailant a disgrace to the game. It's all part and parcel. I've been punched in a rugby game, wasn't to pleased at the time, but at full time his was the first hand I shook, and congratulated him on his shot.

I fully understand that. But if you did that on the street?! The real problem here was was he saying to the ref or the player?

It's about time something gets done to address the treatment of referees by "professional" sportsmen, in football.

The lack of respect shown by top players to referees is absolutely disgraceful. Look at Rio Ferdinand after their defeat to Real. Absolutely disgusting behaviour and should have been shown a red card and further action taken by the spineless goons at UEFA.

It's because rugby referees get 99% of their decisions right and have the aid of technology. I'd say football referees get 70% of their decisions right but often make mistakes on the big decisions that can cost a team a game or trophy etc. If there wasn't this frustration at the referee making the wrong decision, like in Rugby, then the swearing and abuse would go down massively. Saying that I do still find it ugly and vile and something that you wouldn't do on a street, but then aren't we all the same people that as one chant how much of a w***er he is when he makes a few wrong decisions for us...?

No excuse at all for the foul mouth ranting of the prem stars

And what about us, the fans, that do the same thing towards the referee and opposition players. I'm not defending it but it is difficult as we all know how frustrating poor refereeing decisions can be.

Mid range ban reduced by 1 week because of his good conduct at the hearing. About right, you can't go up and call a referee a cheat. It's deemed a mid range severity because it challenges the integrity of the referee. Anyway Rory Best should now be picked in place and really Best should have been going to start with.

Hartley has been cited for almost everything you can possibly do wrong on a rugby pitch now. The man is a total liability. I'm biased but I would have picked Best (or pretty much anyone) over Hartley to start with.

I'd have picked Best over Hartley, before the selection announcement I'd have had Best as first choice for the shirt.

Good for the RFU, now let's see the wonderfully woeful FA and Mr TV Dyke adopt a similar system, i'll just pull one out of the hat Andy Carroll must tell the referee to **** off at least an average of 10 times per game.

If Carroll didn't say **** off, he would just be left with off. Meaning he would be subbed within 2 mins. I'm not sure his vocabulary reaches much further than those two words.

Hartley has been cited for almost everything you can possibly do wrong on a rugby pitch now. The man is a total liability. I'm biased but I would have picked Best (or pretty much anyone) over Hartley to start with.

Amen, Best should've been included - I too would've gone with the 'anyone else' option above this walking yellow card too

A Kiwi, playing for the Lions, against Australia. This was only going to end up one way

I'd have picked Best over Hartley, before the selection announcement I'd have had Best as first choice for the shirt.

Amen, Best should've been included - I too would've gone with the 'anyone else' option above this walking yellow card too

A Kiwi, playing for the Lions, against Australia. This was only going to end up one way

Hopefully this will be what Hartley needs to finally cop on and become the player that I think he's fully capable of becoming, and thank goodness he imploded now and not in a test! Northampton are a great club with great fans but sadly their head coach and captain have dragged them through the mud somewhat in recent years, Mallinder is some piece of work as well. I've been critical of Wayne Barnes in the past but I thought that he handled the situation incredibly well.

Delighted for Rory who should have been on the plane to start with. I'm speculating but I think Gatland would have chosen Best before Rowntree's 2009 'you've got to have Vicks' antics came to the fore again in the selection of Hartley.

Archived