IGNORED

Playoff Changes?

To be honest the playoffs are pretty much the only thing that keeps a lot of the season interesting for most teams - the chance for promotion until towards the end of the season.... otherwise most teams will already know by midseason they are unlikely to get automatic promotion, and unlikely bar a tragedy to get relegation - it kinda takes the idea of striving for something out of the game, and personally I like to see a point on the horizon to aim for as a goal.

24th in championship should go in to play offs not 6th.watch the buggers bring in the change this season, typical.

Not 24th, 21st/20th in Ch/L1 - they were the least worst team in relegation, otherwise you could have a situation where 23rd go down and 24th stay up because the league below are a million miles behind the league they just flopped in.

I would say don't fix it but some ideas for if it were to be changed:

1) 3 teams in the play off, 3rd place straight to the final and 4th to play 5th within a week after the season so the 3rd place would only have 2 weeks off max.

2) Same format but also 7th in the championship get a chance vs 17th in the premier league in a one off game. 4 new teams potentially in the premier league in a season would make things interesting.

1 would be interesting but not as good for the money, the play-offs add 15 games to the football league calender and all are televised by sky, this format would cut down the play-off football by over 50% (assuming you mean one leg for each round)

Italian play offs only occur if there are fewer than 10 points between 3rd and 4th place teams. If the 3rd place team has 10 or more points than the 4th placed team they get automatic promotion.

Heard about this, it's a brilliant concept but if you've finished 3rd, you don't deserve promotion, what if 4th place did the double over third? failing to acheive promotion automatically should be punished with the turmoil of the play-offs IMO

3 up / down between L2 and Conference as well

Also, does anyone know why it's always 3 up / down, but 4 between Div 3 & 4? Always wondered that??

How about 24 down and 24 up this season just to be on the safe side ;)

I hate the play-offs with a passion but couldn't do without them, I hate seeing teams I dislike for no apparent reason squirm their way to promotion after weeks of hearing them win 1-0 and rise from 15th to 6th.

However, I miss the football and, even though I was 90% confident we wouldn't go up through the play-offs in 2008, I enjoyed the excitement of getting as far as we did.

- An idea i'd had was to do with fair play, the team with the worst discipline (outside the top 6(or7)/bottom 4(or3or2)) to play the play-off final losers

I like them as they are but if it had to change I'd say top team in the relegation zone of the league above plays the highest team who didn't get automatic promotion in the league below.

Quite like the sound of that, this season it would've been Wigan vs Watford and then Peterborough vs Brentford

3rd straight to the final at their home ground.

6th plays 5th in a one off game at the home ground of 5th. Winner of that game plays a one off game at the home ground of 4th. Winner of that to the final.

3rd place has to win one game at home whilst the team who finished 6th has to win 3 away games.

This suggestion has been made by fans of many teams and I agree with it..

In speedway the top team gets to choose which of the other three it wishes to be paired with.

As has been posted when the play offs began the 5th placed team played off against 20th in the div above. Trouble was, City had finished 5th and beat Sheff U over 2 legs and thus relegated the Blades. City then lost the P/O final and had to play Sheff U in the League the following season with a great deal of bad feeling on & off the pitch.

Archived