IGNORED

A Worrying Stat

Super

A few weeks back I listened to Ruud Gullit on Talksport. He talked a lot of sense about English football, and said that the England national team will struggle all the while young English players struggle to get first team places in the prem. If I remember correctly, Gullit commented that last season Stuart Pearce was putting out under 21 teams where not one of the players was a regular first teamer at a prem club.

When the premier league was being formed, their was a charm offensive during which the chairmen of the top clubs sold the idea of a premier league as being one that would benefit the England national team. The truth was that It was only ever about money, and concerns about the national team were way down the agenda. The money in the prem attracts top foreign players who play at the expense of young English players. Following Mourinho's appointment, just how many young English players do you expect to see in Chelsea's first team next season?

The desire for instant success makes it only more likely that managers will buy in expensive foreigners rather than develop young home grown talent. Unless something fundamental changes in English football, in the way the Germans changed things around in the last 10 years, then I expect to see England struggling to qualify for major tournaments during my lifetime, let alone have any chance of winning one!

Manchester City, Chelsea, Swansea, Stoke and Wigan - 3 out of 5 ain't bad!

Swansea I can forgive, its not down to them to devlop english youth players, they should be producing welsh players,

If the prem were serious then there should be a quota to at least make space on the bench and give these players game time,

failing to do so should result in big fines (say 100k) shich should be put into the pot for grass roots football,

It won't happen because greed rules the top flight

I thought i'd look through those 5 listed squads, and i've found two players bbc obviously missed during their research.

- Wigan played McManaman for most of the season

- Swansea played Bartley

Still its a worrying figure that most clubs probably only play one or two homegrown players.

Also you'll find a fair few players went on loan to Championship teams still getting game time, Zaha and Chalabolah? played in most of the games for there clubs this season

Where they wouldn't of had a chance at there parent clubs and Chalabolah probably wouldn't of got in the team if it wasn't for his loan move

The Championship is still a competitive league and a very strong one, The best second division in the world and streets ahead of any others, Thats why i feel other top European teams have to play there youngsters they don't have the opportunity to loan them into a strong competitive league

Swansea I can forgive, its not down to them to devlop english youth players, they should be producing welsh players,

If the prem were serious then there should be a quota to at least make space on the bench and give these players game time,

failing to do so should result in big fines (say 100k) shich should be put into the pot for grass roots football,

It won't happen because greed rules the top flight

Another good reason why they should not be playing in the English league system.

To much money involved in the Premier league leads to Managers and or Chairmen under pressure, the kids then dont get a chance to play as the management are always looking for results.

Think how many times we have called for youngsers to be blooded but told now is not the time, and thats just outside of the Prem.

Can't see anything changing unless all clubs are forced to do something about it.

They have as much right to play in England as us,

They have played in the English league since 1921 (a year after the gas)

As have Cardiff City. They now make up 2 clubs in our Premier League who you are happy to see developing players from their own country , none of whom will be able to play for England.

Way to go English FA.

Can't see the problem with Cardiff/Swansea in the league tbh. They've more than earned their right to be here, they've been in the league for years.

Very true , but not a lot of point in people moaning about a lack of English players coming through when there are 2 clubs in our top division who will be bringing on youngsters to play for another country.

Although worrying the cream will always rise to the top and can only help the lower leagues benefit from the cast offs.

For england to compete we need a starting 11 of world class players whom will get games in the prem regardless. Ok we can fill prem teams with young english players but the majority wont be able to cut it in an england shirt.

As have Cardiff City. They now make up 2 clubs in our Premier League who you are happy to see developing players from their own country , none of whom will be able to play for England.

Way to go English FA.

Absolutely.

The other huge issue for England are the numbers of English born players that have been stolen by the Republic of Ireland over the years who are about as Irish as Robert Mugabe (or as John Aldridge or Mark Lawrenson).

Ireland have continually flouted the eligibility rules, remember Tony Cascarino and his fictitious Irish relative? All of the games he played in (over 80) were in effect ones where they fielded an illegible player and recently they have been calling up players with a grandparent born in Northern Ireland, (their U19 team now has a Turkish player in it who was born in Germany with a Belfast born relative!).

Simple solution to this when you sign your first professional contract it should include a declaration as to which national team you wish to represent, if it isn't England you shouldn't count towards what I hope will be some sort of aspirational target set for this.

Very true , but not a lot of point in people moaning about a lack of English players coming through when there are 2 clubs in our top division who will be bringing on youngsters to play for another country.

Why highlight them why not a the anger at the other 18 teams in the top flight who aren't producing enough youngsters

Why not mention the Spanish youth coming thought at Liverpool the French at arsenal etc

Why highlight them why not a the anger at the other 18 teams in the top flight who aren't producing enough youngsters

Why not mention the Spanish youth coming thought at Liverpool the French at arsenal etc

You brought up the fact that you could forgive Swansea for producing non English players as they are , well , non English.

I merely highlighted that there are 2 teams allowed to play in the top flight of English football who have no reason to put the emphasis on developing English players. It doesn't happen elsewhere in Europe to my knowledge.

You brought up the fact that you could forgive Swansea for producing non English players as they are , well , non English.

I merely highlighted that there are 2 teams allowed to play in the top flight of English football who have no reason to put the emphasis on developing English players. It doesn't happen elsewhere in Europe to my knowledge.

Barca are Catalan, Bilbao are Basque both play in the spanish top flight,

Archived