IGNORED

World Cup 2014

Portland Bill

I challenge you to name me 10 teams in the world better than us right now.

While admittedly England aren't where we want them to be at the moment, we are still right up in there in the grand scheme of things. In my opinion, Germany, Spain, Argentina, and Brazil are definitely ahead of us. We're in the group behind, with Italy and the Netherlands imo. France, Portugal, Uruguay, Mexico, etc are definitely behind us, and Belgium are unproven apart from very, very recently.

I would stick Netherlands and Italy above us.  We are at a level where we would make the quarters and go out (most likely on penalties.)  Same as we usually do.

I would stick Netherlands and Italy above us.  We are at a level where we would make the quarters and go out (most likely on penalties.)  Same as we usually do.

Italy in the past year have lost to Brazil, France and Argentina, and only drawn with both Denmark, Haiti and Armenia in the past year. Definitely worse than our record imo. Having said that, they did outplay us in the Euro's.

Netherlands lost all 3 games at the last European Championships, doing worse than us, and have failed to beat any top team of note since then.

Italy in the past year have lost to Brazil, France and Argentina, and only drawn with both Denmark, Haiti and Armenia in the past year. Definitely worse than our record imo. Having said that, they did outplay us in the Euro's.

Netherlands lost all 3 games at the last European Championships, doing worse than us, and have failed to beat any top team of note since then.

Italy are like Netherlands,

Netherlands, great attacking team with Sneijder, RVP, Robben but defensively it's terrible

Italy, Good all over but don't have a strong enough depth in there squad to mount a serious challenge

So I'd say they're on the same level as England

I take friendly results with a pinch of salt (we beat, and drew with, Brazil in our last 2 meetings:  I don't think for one moment that carries any weight with a future competitive encounter.)  I do realise that the Netherlands had a shocker in the Euros, but they have bounced back with an impressive qualifying campaign (9 wins and a draw from 10), and Italy have similarly remained unbeaten in their qualifying.  Based on nothing other than my own gut feel, these are just 2 of the teams that I think we would more than likely lose to, hence my comment.

All that said, I would not be upset to be proved wrong.  Though, unless we get over the mental hump of penalties, it seems unlikely.

Heading out there for 2nd round onwards, so chances are that I will miss seeing England: but, based on South Africa, when the less enjoyable days were those spent watching us play, I am not that fussed.

Archived