IGNORED

New Rule

Robin 101

I have an irrational obsession with time-wasting and particularly what deserves a booking and what doesn't. Most time-wasting bookings are given for goalies at goal kicks and fullbacks at throw-ins. Consider this :

Scenario 1 - 15 minutes have been played and Stoke have a throw-in on the left wing. Rory Delap jogs the width of the pitch from right back/wing, picks up a towel, dries the ball, takes his position and finally launches the ball into the box for another ugly Stoke goal. The length of time the ball was out of play whilst Delap went through his motions was 25 seconds. For some reason, this is allowed by the referee and not considered time-wasting.

Scenario 2 - 5 minutes left and Arsenal are getting a result away at Barcelona. Bacary Sagna picks up the ball for a throw-in and feigns a couple of times before finally releasing. The ref calls him up for time-wasting and books him. The ball had been out of play for 15 seconds.

Basically, late on in a game, it can appear as if time ticks away much quicker when you're losing, and the refs seem to fall for this too and are quick to get their cards out for circumstances late in a game when the same offence (or worse) is not punished early in a game.

Anyway - There are a few time-wasting annoyances in this thread. I have a way of resolving all time-wasting issues.

Introduce an independent time-keeper. Every time the ball goes dead (goal kick /throw-in/free-kick), the clock runs for 10 seconds. If the ball is not back in play after 10 seconds, the time-keeper pauses the clock.

For Free-Kicks where the defence want to construct a wall, the clock can run for 20 seconds before being paused.

This way, no-one will ever get booked for time-wasting ever again.

The fourth official should have a blue-tooth/wi-fi enabled stop/start mechanism to the main stadium clock.

As you say, when necessary the clock should be stopped so that everyone can see that time isn't being wasted.

Also, think how exciting it would be with ten seconds to go and we're all clinging onto a lead - the crowd would start to chant the countdown, which would spur on the players.

I may be wrong, but refs don't actually stop their watches do they? Stopping them would be a start!

At least then there could be no complaints if they could show exactly where they had stopped it (which in this day and age could be kept track of very easily by someone off the pitch).

The away goal rule annoys me in extra time- you could argue that being home or away has an advantage here. The simplest thing to do would be to scrap the extra time. Straight to penalties (which are always more fun!).

Similar to rugby, play should carry on around injured players (unless the referee deems them seriously hurt and calls a halt to procedures). Many players would then stop rolling around on the floor for ten minutes.

I hate the fact that yellow cards can't be appealed against- even when they lead to suspension- yet red cards can.

My biggest grip is protection for goalkeepers. They have too much. You can't even jump with them any more. Even if they misjudge a punch or drop the ball they get free kicks-They already have the advantage of using their hands, they shouldn't need this much more! I'm not saying going back to an age when you could push them over the line... but less protection than now!

Straight forward and obvious to anyone...

No Extra time in 2 legged matches. Why should the 2nd leg home team have 30 minutes more on their pitch and in front of their fans.

Makes no sense and no one ever discusses it. If you can't find a winner after 180 minutes + go immediately to penalties.

My ruling would be a maximum of 5 non-British players in each on the pitch at one time. This would go a long way to improve British players.

I also like the comments about time wasting. Banish adding extra time, 90min on the clock, every time a break in play, clock stops, so if someone want to act injured, delay a kick or throw it is irrelevant.

Slightly different direction here but I remember a brilliant Danny baker phone in along these lines, but his angle was what technical tactical and equipment changes would you make?

The best one I heard was that the goal keeper could sew a piece of material from wrists to ankles and from ankle to ankle giving him the appearance of a flying squirrel and being able to close down on 1:1s with attackers effectively.

My own idea was that from a goal kick, the keeper would pass to a full back in space, at which point all other 9 outfield players would sprint to him, surround him, linking arms forming a human chain around the ball. At this point the human circle would move slowly towards the opposing goal and walk the ball into the net.

Totally foolproof!

My father pointed out that the flaw in this tactic however is that both teams would do it, and it would not make for a great spectical as the game finishes 27 all. I still however feel that this could be an ace up the sleeve for the last minute of a playoff final, in the same way that the karate kid used his crane technique!

My ruling would be a maximum of 5 non-British players in each on the pitch at one time. This would go a long way to improve British players.

I also like the comments about time wasting. Banish adding extra time, 90min on the clock, every time a break in play, clock stops, so if someone want to act injured, delay a kick or throw it is irrelevant.

If the clock stopped everytime the ball was out of play was out of play or a player was down injured games would last about 4 hours.

Believe it or not the amount of time when the ball is in play and 'live' is usually under 45 mins for the whole game.

Slightly different direction here but I remember a brilliant Danny baker phone in along these lines, but his angle was what technical tactical and equipment changes would you make?

The best one I heard was that the goal keeper could sew a piece of material from wrists to ankles and from ankle to ankle giving him the appearance of a flying squirrel and being able to close down on 1:1s with attackers effectively.

My own idea was that from a goal kick, the keeper would pass to a full back in space, at which point all other 9 outfield players would sprint to him, surround him, linking arms forming a human chain around the ball. At this point the human circle would move slowly towards the opposing goal and walk the ball into the net.

Totally foolproof!

My father pointed out that the flaw in this tactic however is that both teams would do it, and it would not make for a great spectical as the game finishes 27 all. I still however feel that this could be an ace up the sleeve for the last minute of a playoff final, in the same way that the karate kid used his crane technique!

As a former referee, I would suggest that tactic would be illegal, being technically obstruction.

You cannot shield the ball unless it is within playing distance (about 1m) and you are deemed to be 'playing the ball' ('playing the ball' means positioning your body to make it difficult for an opposing player to 'play the ball' and does not necessarily involve touching it, which is why players are allowed to 'shield the ball out of play'). Since the nine players are simply preventing the opposition from tackling the player with the ball (and therefore not 'playing the ball' themselves), it is 'obstruction', and an indirect free kick to the opposing team.

Having said that, it would not be illegal for several players to be in 'close proximity' to the player with the ball - the flaw is the 'linking arms'.

As a former referee, I would suggest that tactic would be illegal, being technically obstruction.

You cannot shield the ball unless it is within playing distance (about 1m) and you are deemed to be 'playing the ball' ('playing the ball' means positioning your body to make it difficult for an opposing player to 'play the ball' and does not necessarily involve touching it, which is why players are allowed to 'shield the ball out of play'). Since the nine players are simply preventing the opposition from tackling the player with the ball (and therefore not 'playing the ball' themselves), it is 'obstruction', and an indirect free kick to the opposing team.

Having said that, it would not be illegal for several players to be in 'close proximity' to the player with the ball - the flaw is the 'linking arms'.

Fair enough I was sure that this would be illegal!

But from what you say, I still see a way forward here (and a potential job as SoDs ring of steel coach)

Option 1: (ring of steel mk 2)what if the players didn't link arms but simply closed ranks around the ball and played one touch passing around the ring of steel? Involving each of them?

Option 2: the goal keeper holds the ball and places it squashed between the chest of 4 players, who do not link arms but simply use body weight to keep the ball at chest height . (ill refer to this as the quartet of steel ) effectively all 4 players are playing the ball at the same time and not 1 player could therefore be accused of obstruction. The quartet of steel could then slowly meander down the pitch and walk over the goal line, the player nearest the goal line would claim the goal, neutralising any off side claims.

Would this be legal?

(I know far too much time on my hands!)

If the clock stopped everytime the ball was out of play was out of play or a player was down injured games would last about 4 hours.

Believe it or not the amount of time when the ball is in play and 'live' is usually under 45 mins for the whole game.

No it is not

The average for premiership games is 62mins

Nah, my proposal suggested the clock stops if the ball is out of play for more than 10 seconds.

This rarely happens - generally the players get on with the game pretty quickly at throw-ins, goal kicks and most free kicks.

All this 10 second rule does is allow the clock to be stopped when more than enough time has passed for the ball to be back in play, thus ensuring no-one should EVER be booked for time wasting again.

The only REAL time you'll have added to the overall length of the game would be for TRUE injury time. So rather than the standard 4 minutes added, you'll have the clock stopped when injuries are being treated so might end up with an additional few minutes.

As others have mentioned, once the clock hits 90 minutes, that's it, game over. No 'added' time, the clock will have stopped throughout the course of the game for injuries.

Just to add. There are probably an average of 60 throw-ins per game, 25 free kicks and 12 corners. Allowing 10 seconds for all of these before stopping the clock still takes up 20 odd minutes of the game. So it's not like we'll be there for 4 hours like in the NFL!

Fair enough I was sure that this would be illegal!

But from what you say, I still see a way forward here (and a potential job as SoDs ring of steel coach)

Option 1: (ring of steel mk 2)what if the players didn't link arms but simply closed ranks around the ball and played one touch passing around the ring of steel? Involving each of them?

Option 2: the goal keeper holds the ball and places it squashed between the chest of 4 players, who do not link arms but simply use body weight to keep the ball at chest height . (ill refer to this as the quartet of steel ) effectively all 4 players are playing the ball at the same time and not 1 player could therefore be accused of obstruction. The quartet of steel could then slowly meander down the pitch and walk over the goal line, the player nearest the goal line would claim the goal, neutralising any off side claims.

Would this be legal?

(I know far too much time on my hands!)

Option 1 is a fine line. All an opposing player needs to do is attempt to play the ball. If he is prevented from doing so by a player who is NOT in possession of the ball at the time, it would be obstruction.

Option 2 is illegal, since the ball is not in free play. This is technically no different to the keeper holding the ball in his hands and refusing to put it into free play. Players can be cautioned for time wasting for this.

Option 1 is a fine line. All an opposing player needs to do is attempt to play the ball. If he is prevented from doing so by a player who is NOT in possession of the ball at the time, it would be obstruction.

Option 2 is illegal, since the ball is not in free play. This is technically no different to the keeper holding the ball in his hands and refusing to put it into free play. Players can be cautioned for time wasting for this.

Thanks Simply,

Yet another plan crashes and burns, I'll get back to my bicycle umbrella design for Dragons Den

Wages given based on match rating.

How would that work!!!

Walk out of AG after a game and you will hear such different views on the same game

"Marvin worked his socks off etc etc 9/10"

"Marvin cant pass to save his life Needs to be told we play in RED" 3/10

10K OR £10

I do think that all the existing rules do the job. But are not enforced.

We need refs that are strong enough to reject players feining and arguing and use both yellow and red cards to establish this. We will see an August and September of total carnage before managers start to impose discipline upon their players.

Miking up the ref a la rugby union will also help.

How would that work!!!

Walk out of AG after a game and you will hear such different views on the same game

"Marvin worked his socks off etc etc 9/10"

"Marvin cant pass to save his life Needs to be told we play in RED" 3/10

10K OR £10

Easy. The first fan presses the 10K button and the second the £10 button, and Marv gets the median of the fans' valuations.

And all the players get the same proportion of their basic wage.

I love the idea- a touch of X factor!

But think of the 'lee Johnson' character, the villain in many people's eyes; he would be sleeping on bus shelters and rooting through the bin for old kebabs regardless of how well he played!

Archived