IGNORED

New Rule

Robin 101

wage cap per club meaning that each pro club in the football league/europe has a certain amount of money to spend each year on player wages and i'd like to see a draft system in place like there is in the nfl. it wouldn't work in the current format of academies being tied to clubs however.

1) Players having to go to the side line after a stoppage when they could be allowed to just get up and carry on

2) Shielding the ball by the corner flag, or to let the ball go for a goal kick to be given as what it is: obstruction

3) Immediate 10 yard penalty for not retreating at a free kick or for dissent, like rugby

4) Refs to have discretion in all things, and not to be bound by 'the letter of the law'

5) Sin bin - a great idea

Are we going back in time?

1. Was introduced to stop players faking an injury to waste time. Now they have to go off the pitch so they can't just carry straight on.

3. They did this then took it back out again, not sure why!

Are we going back in time?

1. Was introduced to stop players faking an injury to waste time. Now they have to go off the pitch so they can't just carry straight on.

3. They did this then took it back out again, not sure why!

Trouble with this rule is, if you are say the defending team and the centreforward clatters your fullback in a 50/50 and your player goes down injured but the ball goes out for a corner. Your player is treated on the pitch but has to leave the field after having treatment, he is not allowed back on straight away, and the opposition score from the corner because of the numerical advantage, can't be right surely. Or even if a player is taken out, the offender is booked but stays on then scores while the bloke he crocked is waiting to be waved back on after having treatment. both instances the injured players team is penalised for him being treated by the physio.

Not a new rule but enforce the 6 seconds in hand rule for goalkeepers. Speeds things up and gets the ball in play for longer. So much time wasted when keeper has ball in hand for at least double the amount of time officially allowed then he drops it and wanders to the edge of the area and only makes a move when opposing player approaches.

Not a rule but players stop kicking the ball out of play every time a player goes down ( note I do not say injured ). It's obvious when there is a serious injury and the ref should halt the game and restart with a "proper" drop ball if the ball has not gone out of play by the time he is aware.

Rule change; any verbals to the ref then " off you go sonny and have an early tweet " Obviously captain is allowed to "consult with" the ref.

Players must play the ball rather than marshal it out of play - it's obstruction!

This is the first rule I'd change. Anywhere else on the pitch it's obstruction.

And remove some of the protection for challenging goalkeepers. Not back to the days of barging the poor bloke (or women) over the line though!

Trouble with this rule is, if you are say the defending team and the centreforward clatters your fullback in a 50/50 and your player goes down injured but the ball goes out for a corner. Your player is treated on the pitch but has to leave the field after having treatment, he is not allowed back on straight away, and the opposition score from the corner because of the numerical advantage, can't be right surely. Or even if a player is taken out, the offender is booked but stays on then scores while the bloke he crocked is waiting to be waved back on after having treatment. both instances the injured players team is penalised for him being treated by the physio.

The rule should be if the player needs to go off for receiving treatment then so should the person who fouled him.

Another rule should be all ticket prices should be in line with the average wage in the local area. I don't know what percentage would work but i.e. poorer areas = cheaper tickets

I have an irrational obsession with time-wasting and particularly what deserves a booking and what doesn't. Most time-wasting bookings are given for goalies at goal kicks and fullbacks at throw-ins. Consider this :

Scenario 1 - 15 minutes have been played and Stoke have a throw-in on the left wing. Rory Delap jogs the width of the pitch from right back/wing, picks up a towel, dries the ball, takes his position and finally launches the ball into the box for another ugly Stoke goal. The length of time the ball was out of play whilst Delap went through his motions was 25 seconds. For some reason, this is allowed by the referee and not considered time-wasting.

Scenario 2 - 5 minutes left and Arsenal are getting a result away at Barcelona. Bacary Sagna picks up the ball for a throw-in and feigns a couple of times before finally releasing. The ref calls him up for time-wasting and books him. The ball had been out of play for 15 seconds.

Basically, late on in a game, it can appear as if time ticks away much quicker when you're losing, and the refs seem to fall for this too and are quick to get their cards out for circumstances late in a game when the same offence (or worse) is not punished early in a game.

Anyway - There are a few time-wasting annoyances in this thread. I have a way of resolving all time-wasting issues.

Introduce an independent time-keeper. Every time the ball goes dead (goal kick /throw-in/free-kick), the clock runs for 10 seconds. If the ball is not back in play after 10 seconds, the time-keeper pauses the clock.

For Free-Kicks where the defence want to construct a wall, the clock can run for 20 seconds before being paused.

This way, no-one will ever get booked for time-wasting ever again.

A sending off in the first leg of a two-leg tie carries over to the second leg. The offending team starts and finishes with ten men.

Worst idea ever!

So fans could quite feasably end up paying to watch a 2ng leg tie that starts with 9 playing 10 or 11..? Nonsense!

I have an irrational obsession with time-wasting and particularly what deserves a booking and what doesn't. Most time-wasting bookings are given for goalies at goal kicks and fullbacks at throw-ins. Consider this :

Scenario 1 - 15 minutes have been played and Stoke have a throw-in on the left wing. Rory Delap jogs the width of the pitch from right back/wing, picks up a towel, dries the ball, takes his position and finally launches the ball into the box for another ugly Stoke goal. The length of time the ball was out of play whilst Delap went through his motions was 25 seconds. For some reason, this is allowed by the referee and not considered time-wasting.

Scenario 2 - 5 minutes left and Arsenal are getting a result away at Barcelona. Bacary Sagna picks up the ball for a throw-in and feigns a couple of times before finally releasing. The ref calls him up for time-wasting and books him. The ball had been out of play for 15 seconds.

Basically, late on in a game, it can appear as if time ticks away much quicker when you're losing, and the refs seem to fall for this too and are quick to get their cards out for circumstances late in a game when the same offence (or worse) is not punished early in a game.

Anyway - There are a few time-wasting annoyances in this thread. I have a way of resolving all time-wasting issues.

Introduce an independent time-keeper. Every time the ball goes dead (goal kick /throw-in/free-kick), the clock runs for 10 seconds. If the ball is not back in play after 10 seconds, the time-keeper pauses the clock.

For Free-Kicks where the defence want to construct a wall, the clock can run for 20 seconds before being paused.

This way, no-one will ever get booked for time-wasting ever again.

All good stuff and not irrational at all. Variations seem to work well in rugby and american football, so would at least be worth a trial.

Harrys post about time wasting is an interesting one.in the champions league final it took almost 3 minutes for the game to restart after the winning goal but they only played 3 minutes added time when that is usually a minimum amount of time added to most games.is time not added on to account for goal celebrations? I know that was an excessive example but a few do go on a bit.when an attacking free kick requires a wall then it is nearly always over a minute before play gets going again so harrys 20 second rule would be a good one but if you start stopping the clock after 10 seconds when the ball goes out of play we will start to see huge amounts of extra time and be heading towards something akin to american football.anyway I agree with harry that time wasting needs to be clamped down on as it is anti football anywhich way you look at it.

When a player has his shirt pulled in the penalty area -give a penalty! that would be novel! If it happens outside the box its nearly always a free kick, but refs and linesmen just let it go in the box! :grr:

will never understand this!

PS clause to say if Aden Flint does it -it's okay :thumbsup:

I would like to see referees be more assertive in the penalty area and award more penalties against defenders who hold and block attackers wth their arms at set pieces. Some of what goes on is nothing short of assault. Like diving, it is the dark side of the game and needs to be stamped out.

I know if I was still refereeing, I would give an immediate penalty and I wouldn't care how many I gave until defenders realised I meant business. It is the single most frustrating and annoying thing that spoils the game for me.

Archived