IGNORED

Bob Taylor Appreciation Thread

How good was that boy...Best striker I've seen during my time supporting City...just remember loads of goals and some brilliant strikes...one of my favourites was in the 5-1 win at Swansea in about '89..I think the keeper parried his original shot, and he followed up to score with a diving header..he may have scored more in that game, but I can't remember.....quality player

How good was that boy...Best striker I've seen during my time supporting City...just remember loads of goals and some brilliant strikes...one of my favourites was in the 5-1 win at Swansea in about '89..I think the keeper parried his original shot, and he followed up to score with a diving header..he may have scored more in that game, but I can't remember.....quality player

I can remember the reporter saying the game was evenly matched until Taylor did his thing. Goal scoring diamonds like him make the difference between between wining and perhaps drawing a game.

In my opinion though, Andy Cole was the boy. At Ashton Gate you could see he had something about him and he went on and proved it a the highest level. It would have been interesting to see what Paul Cheesley could have achieved as well!

and here is that goal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2wR_n2AwLk&feature=player_detailpage

Always enjoyed the Huddersfield home game, don't think we realised how good he was going to be and we were shite at that stage.

I actually stayed in the pub with a mate and missed the first few minutes, as I said we hadn't been good. Ended up missing the first 2 goals but they kindly scored another four so we didn't feel left out.

2 things started the end for him, the hamstring against Crewe when he was going to be subbed and Robbie Turner (punching someone in the tunnel and) having to be sold. Turner and Taylor were a great combo.

Always enjoyed the Huddersfield home game, don't think we realised how good he was going to be and we were shite at that stage.

I actually stayed in the pub with a mate and missed the first few minutes, as I said we hadn't been good. Ended up missing the first 2 goals but they kindly scored another four so we didn't feel left out.

2 things started the end for him, the hamstring against Crewe when he was going to be subbed and Robbie Turner (punching someone in the tunnel and) having to be sold. Turner and Taylor were a great combo.

And the scorer of the last goal was...(I know the answer, anyone else?)

That was the game just after Hillsborough, remember the minute's silence before the game, in the EE it was totally, totally quiet.

First 25 minutes were surreal, we literally buried EVERY chance.

Think we'd not won for 10 games going into that one, Jordan's job was on the line. 25 minutes in we were 5-0 up...

Yes that was my fav, was there!!!taylor getting injured that game was the sole reason rovers got anywhere near the title!!!

Too right. After promotion he sat in the Grandstand for ages talking to fans that remained behind. I wandered over to him and stammered "That Crewe goal..." before falling over the seat behind me and wandering off somewhere else trying to look as though I meant it to happen. Of course I was very very drunk.

And the scorer of the last goal was...(I know the answer, anyone else?)

That was the game just after Hillsborough, remember the minute's silence before the game, in the EE it was totally, totally quiet.

First 25 minutes were surreal, we literally buried EVERY chance.

Think we'd not won for 10 games going into that one, Jordan's job was on the line. 25 minutes in we were 5-0 up...

Malone said the scorer was McClaren ? So for the younger ones that weren't around , yes that was he ex England manager Steve McClaren :-)

On the Swansea v City clip, the commentator says we paid £250k for Super Bob from Leeds.

Considering the era, that was a load of money in those days.... But how much did we sell him to WBA for?? Did we make a profit??

Memories flooded back with mention on Bob and Robbie Turner partnership, plus Rob Newman!!

Those were great days that as even an 8 year old made a big impression for me to remember so well 24 years later!!

On the Swansea v City clip, the commentator says we paid £250k for Super Bob from Leeds.

Considering the era, that was a load of money in those days.... But how much did we sell him to WBA for?? Did we make a profit??

Memories flooded back with mention on Bob and Robbie Turner partnership, plus Rob Newman!!

Those were great days that as even an 8 year old made a big impression for me to remember so well 24 years later!!

I'm sure he went for £300k.

What I still don't understand is why Bob had such a poor season after we got promoted, which led us subsequently to selling him. He proved later in his career he could score at second tier level and also played in the top flight. Maybe it was that Joe Jordan had left and he wasn't motivated by Jimmy Lumsden?

What I still don't understand is why Bob had such a poor season after we got promoted, which led us subsequently to selling him. He proved later in his career he could score at second tier level and also played in the top flight. Maybe it was that Joe Jordan had left and he wasn't motivated by Jimmy Lumsden?

He contracted a really nasty illness. I remember seeing him at a cricket match, part of Rob Newmans testimonial I think, and he was almost see through.

In the old Roger Malone on HTV days, he regularly had Bobby Gould on as a pundit/summariser, he described Bob Taylor as a 2 million pound plus player, then I'm sure he was WBA manager when he was sold, and I think they got him for 300k

Bobby Gould has told the story before. They rang our then chairman (Les Kew?) and were prepared to pay £1M. Gould told his chairman to start the bidding at £300K and we (allegedly) accepted straight away.

The best finisher, from anywhere, I've ever seen in a City shirt

That promotion season he was just ridiculous, got us out of a few holes that year, then all went down hill when he got injured. Him and Turner were fantastic together

Met him at a do at City about 20 years ago, top bloke too

Because Roger Malone says it is Steve McClaren I'm guessing it's Steve McClaren - nice finish though

:laugh: I didn't have sound on so assumed there wasn't any!

Yes, it was second choice Schteve, the very same

We swapped him for Shelton - now that's a top deal

Bobby Gould has told the story before. They rang our then chairman (Les Kew?) and were prepared to pay £1M. Gould told his chairman to start the bidding at £300K and we (allegedly) accepted straight away.

For the younger ones reading, who moan about our present board, take note of this.

The board back then were truly ******* clueless, total unbelievable grade-A *****

For the younger ones reading, who moan about our present board, take note of this.

The board back then were truly ******* clueless, total unbelievable grade-A *****

Yep, that was the same board who didn't insert a sell on clause when they sold Andy Cole to Newcastle, I wonder what ever happened to him?

Yep, that was the same board who didn't insert a sell on clause when they sold Andy Cole to Newcastle, I wonder what ever happened to him?

Now, I don't expect club directors to know anything about football. In Shankly's words "they're only there to sign the cheques".

I do, however, expect them to know something about money :grr:

Maybe, but they ran the club finances well, other than some silly decisions in the transfer market. The numpties that took their place were truly woeful in every respect. One thing is for sure, the kews made profits on good players, maybe not as much as they could of.... can you say the same about the current board who have spent millions and let big signings leave for nothing, or move on for no profit.

At least that board made profits on signings. I can't remember a proper profit since akinbyi. After all Brennan lita and cotterill were not bought. Murray we effectively got back without reading having to pay anymore. I am finding very difficult to remember any decent sell ons for any recent signings.

Not sure if that says more about the board or the managers!

Archived