IGNORED

Albert In The Europa League?

glynriley

If we're only going to get £1m (don't forget Barnet also get a percentage of this) I actually think we should keep him, he'll certainly tear a fair few teams apart in div 1 plus he could be the difference between finishing in the top 6 and not. Promotion will be worth more than the 5-600k we'll actually get.

If we're only going to get £1m (don't forget Barnet also get a percentage of this) I actually think we should keep him, he'll certainly tear a fair few teams apart in div 1 plus he could be the difference between finishing in the top 6 and not. Promotion will be worth more than the 5-600k we'll actually get.

This.

Agree in part, however if he wants to leave then good luck to him, however I feel we could get more if a club a league up are willing to take a punt.

+1

I said this the other week and got " :facepalm: "

I agree completely. Even if we lose him at the end of next season, If we got promoted we would be able to attract better wingers than we would in our current position. Would rather have the 2.5 million if we could get it now, As it would go a long way but 1 million, Nah would rather keep him and have him help with a promotion push. Players like him win games.

Absolutely. Albert in L1 would be great, and if we're receiving bids for just £1M I'd prefer to keep him.

£1 million is not to be sniffed at in the current climate. That said, I'd expect closer to £2 million for him and both Palace and Wigan have that money to spend I'm sure.

I agree with this and my hunch is that we're already using his expected transfer fee to sign Flint, Fielding (seems likely) and hopefully a couple more.

Well said that man.

For me Albert has done more than enough for us and deserves to go on and better himself.

If he's prepared to give us another year and we only receive offers of around 1 million I think it's worth the gamble keeping him.

Well said that man.

For me Albert has done more than enough for us and deserves to go on and better himself.

If he's prepared to give us another year and we only receive offers of around 1 million I think it's worth the gamble keeping him.

What has he done?

Cash in and get someone with a better attitude.

Albert plays when Albert wants to play.

What has he done?

Bollocks

Albert is the only player at the club who always gives 100% he has ran himself into the ground

We have been over reliant on him and to be honest if it wasn't for some of his performances we would of been relegated at Xmas or the season before

What has he done?

Really? What's wrong with his attitude?

Granted, delivery and work rate are not his strong points but to question his attitude?? We have relied on him to make things happen near enough every game for the last 3 years. We don't have any other player with his ability or pace, and while I appreciate he can be frustrating he has been a good servant to this club, never moaned, never said he wants to leave and always gave his all for the club.

He has been the only player to get bums off seats over the last 3 years. If he wants to stay then fantastic. If not he will be moved on. It won't be down to his attitude though that's for sure.

Really? What's wrong with his attitude?

Granted, delivery and work rate are not his strong points but to question his attitude?? We have relied on him to make things happen near enough every game for the last 3 years. We don't have any other player with his ability or pace, and while I appreciate he can be frustrating he has been a good servant to this club, never moaned, never said he wants to leave and always gave his all for the club.

He has been the only player to get bums off seats over the last 3 years. If he wants to stay then fantastic. If not he will be moved on. It won't be down to his attitude though that's for sure.

IMO he dribbles past 1 or even 2 players then that is the end of it.

When the full backs have the ball and looking for a runner, what is Albert doing? he is near the full back and not making the telling run.

Not so long ago we had McIndoe who was far more intelligent and far more effective.

At the end of the day I expect more from Albert.

When the full backs have the ball and looking for a runner, what is Albert doing? he is near the full back and not making the telling run.

Not so long ago we had McIndoe who was far more intelligent and far more effective.

you're about the only person in this thread talking any sense. We'll look much better with Anderson on the right and Joe Bryan on the left.

All of that is true, But how is this his attitude?

How is that having a bad attitude though? He usually has 2 players on him every time he gets the ball. He does have faults to his game but has improved on tracking back. Every time he has the ball everyone expects him to skin 4 or 5 players and it just doesn't work like that. He is always a threat no doubt about it, even if his decision making needs to improve.

For the record if he leaves he will become a better player than he is now by far. Surrounded by better players I think he will do very well at a higher level.

If his attitude was bad, he would have an affinity with this club and I'm sure he would have demanded to be sold along while ago. His attitude towards the club is first class. Yes, on the pitch he can go missing at times but as mentioned earlier, he has been heavily relied on and other teams realise this and mark him out of the game. We then do bad as we have no other outlet.

None of this is Alberts fault. I hope we actually keep him, he tears up league one and signs a new contract with us but if we do sell him we will get as much a possible as he is an asset to any interested team

Often the highlight of a dreary and, frankly, bad championship team for three years.

He is an out-an-out winger, often asked to play the role of all-round right midfielder. When given the license to focus on providing a cutting edge he did so consistently and frequently against very good players. Much like the 'one-that-got-away' Yannick Bolasie, when he has struggled not because he lacked ability, but because the abilities he had didn't fit the mindset or ideas our managers at the time had.

Albert may have sometimes looked uncomfortable due to this, but I've personally never seen his attitude be anything other than excellent. The chap has his head screwed on too; no delusions of grandeur that have very shown. Not his fault the teams he's played in were frequently disjointed, disorganised and unmotivated. He has genuine, natural ability and would be a much more highly regarded player were he playing in a team set up to allow his to show this, like the one Bolasie found at Palace.

Considering the pittance we paid for him I agree with other posters; he's more than paid us back, so if it was 500k or less I'd say we were better placed to keep hold of him,. I think it isn't too big a reach to suggest he would be a formidable force in League One, and part of me hopes we keep him just to see how he, after a steady summer and as part if settled and hopefully more organised team than we've seen for a while, would perform against defender that will rarely have encountered someone with his level of skill.

If we can establish a solid defensive unit, and field a forward line/attacking set up of Anderson and Adomah on the wings, and Baldock and Davies up top, I think we'd be in a position to cause a lot of problems to League One defences. I realise that is on paper and the game is played on grass, but tell me that if we were able to field that line up versus Bradford people here wouldn't be a little excited.

The only two questions are if Albert doesn't fancy League One, be it a season or till Christmas, and would like to leave, or if someone is prepared to offer us a fair price. Unfortunately, our relegation, Albert's contract and the lure of additional wage bill space/transfer funds may make his staying a slim possibility, and the figure of 800k is probably reasonable, all the prior points considered. Wigan would also be a logical choice in some respects, as they must stand a very good chance of getting to at least the play-offs, and European football, however brief the experience, would be an excellent addition to Albert's CV.

But if he was to stay without signing a new deal, and even if we didn't make it back up this coming season, I for one would happily bid him farewell on a free. He arrived from League Two at a club two divisions up who had just appointed an experienced and highly rated manager, and who'd finished top ten three years running. Since then we've cycled through three gaffers, never finished higher than 15th and got relegated. Yet Albert has gone from inexperienced youngster to regular international, and he's still only 25.

He owes us nothing.

Archived