IGNORED

Losing Another Young Star,any Point Of An Academy ?

foghornred

http://www.fanatix.com/news/liverpool-near-deal-for-14-year-old-wonderkid/124075/

Looks like we are going to lose another of our academy stars,makes me wonder whats the point if they are taken from us before making a first team appearance ?

Surely the idea of an academy is to produce players for Bristol City not everyone else !

Ok before we had forums, the internet etc etc, how many players did we lose?

More to the point, how many have we rejected to go onto better things?

Its took awhile but the academy is starting to show progress, in the long run all will be ok, panic averted

I kind of know what you mean - the new system allows cat 1 clubs to .... well steal players for hardly any benefit to us. We find someone decent, coach him, and lose him - So the sooner we get cat 1 so we can stop them and get some real compensation for potential stars the better.

Bad news that we've lost the best players but (and struggling to find a positive here) this will help in persuading the best young players to come to our academy as it shows that we're not some backwater, sign for City's Academy and we will coach you and if you're really good we won't stand in your way of your going to a major premier league outfit.

And we do get some money.

They won't all want to go, I wouldn't have wanted to move to Liverpool or London when I was 14. Or now.

Eddie me old china, it seems that instead of going through the Acadamy then signing for Cheltenham, the best ones just jump ship, join a premiership Acadamy, get released, play in that game where all the scouts from league 1/2 turn up, then sign for them....

As I've said previously the Academy is largely irrelevant in improving the club's near term future.

The great staff, effort and commitment they've put in should immediately be reconfigured to helping other areas of the club that could help move things forward.

Take it as a back handed compliment.

The fact that we are now able to produce kids with outstanding talent is testament to the good work, changes and improvements which have been made to our academy.

I for one would be concerned if we were producing kids no one was showing any interest in, as has been the case in the past.

The good work will carry on, and more improvements made, and if we get cat 1 status, it won't be too long before kids and their parents realise that they have more chance of first team football by staying here than going to a premier club and either playing endless reserve football or going back on loan to lower league clubs. There will always be the odd gem who bursts through to play a higher grade of football earlier than his peers, but that will happen everywhere...

I think the poaching is not only a sign of the times, but a sign that our academy is at long last starting to function properly.

The fact is that these young players must already have a great deal of natural talent, our academy has simply nurtured this, and now as is the natural order of things the big boys are taking over.

The development of these type of players isn't dependent on the quality of coaching at a young age.

I've watched a number of U9 games and have seen only one lad who is clearly gifted, he can strike a ball as sweet as you like, and is aware of what's going on around him in the game.

He may or may not progress, as there are many facets required to make it in the pro game, but he has a head start, the same can probably be said for the lads who have been cherry picked by the big boys.

Where our academy will benefit us is by improving those boys who show promise, but are never going to be potential world beaters. Those are the ones who can take the club forward in the long term.

So who or what is forcing these youngsters to leave city's academy and go to bigger clubs? No-one, apart from the lads themselves, and possibly their parents.

It must be obvious to the lad, and their 'advisors', that the chance of breaking through at a prem club are somewhere between slim and none. So the best that they can hope for is a few loan spells and then championship / div 1 (or 2) football. In the meantime, they will not be earning mega-bucks.

There are lots of examples of young lads breaking through into div 1 and championship sides, and then moving up to the prem (albeit not from city!!). So, if SO'D shows that he is serious about playing 16 / 17 / 18 yo lads who are good enough for the first team, I don't think the case for these youngsters moving on at 14 / 15 is that clear-cut.

As I've said previously the Academy is largely irrelevant in improving the club's near term future.

The great staff, effort and commitment they've put in should immediately be reconfigured to helping other areas of the club that could help move things forward.

Yeah, because looking at what benefits the club in the 'near term' has worked really well for us recently hasn't it...

To all those who doubt the value if investing in a youth system, I will simply say "Gary Johnson". For all the good times he brought on the pitch, his legacy is zero because he completely disregarded idea of producing home-grown players we may have been 90 minutes from the Premier League but what do we hbe to show for it now?

The other thing that no ones mentioned is whether this is best for the kids concerned? Obviously we all want what's best for the club but for these particular 14 year old footballers, playing at Chelsea or Liverpool might be the best thing for them

So who or what is forcing these youngsters to leave city's academy and go to bigger clubs? No-one, apart from the lads themselves, and possibly their parents.

It must be obvious to the lad, and their 'advisors', that the chance of breaking through at a prem club are somewhere between slim and none. So the best that they can hope for is a few loan spells and then championship / div 1 (or 2) football. In the meantime, they will not be earning mega-bucks.

There are lots of examples of young lads breaking through into div 1 and championship sides, and then moving up to the prem (albeit not from city!!). So, if SO'D shows that he is serious about playing 16 / 17 / 18 yo lads who are good enough for the first team, I don't think the case for these youngsters moving on at 14 / 15 is that clear-cut.

to be fair not many clubs play 16/17/18 yo's full stop most start cementing first team places at 19, unless the player is somthing speical,

Take Bostock he made about 4 or 5 appearances for palace as a 15/16 yo before spurs pinched him and now he is a free agent and probbilly looking at a league 1 or 2 club

Jose Baxter was the next big thing in englsih football and was on a lot of money at everton (didn't the player say himself he was on about 7k a week there),

He failed to live up to his hype and is now at oldham but now appears to have his head screwed on,

Some of these youngsters leaving are prob doing it for money under pressure from parents (thats what I suspect) and these are the ones who normally wouldn't make it anyway,

The likes of Joe morrell who turned down Liverpool for footballing reasons are the ones we want to watch as they appear mature and willing to improve themselfs,

I'm sure our under 14's have more then 2 decent players in there Jacob Maddox and Harry Kane could be the next england regualars but there is a bigger chance that we may never hear from them again,

No one wants to lose best talent but being realsitic, liverpool and chelsea have knocked on the door.

from a previous post i seem to recall each transfer of these young players could net close to one million based on apearances in the future with 120k payable now potentially based on time at club, so weve taken in 250k now = a large part of fieldings fee i guess plus the option of potentally1.7m in the future.

It could be seen as the academy starting to pay for itself?

to be fair not many clubs play 16/17/18 yo's full stop most start cementing first team places at 19, unless the player is somthing speical,

Take Bostock he made about 4 or 5 appearances for palace as a 15/16 yo before spurs pinched him and now he is a free agent and probbilly looking at a league 1 or 2 club

Jose Baxter was the next big thing in englsih football and was on a lot of money at everton (didn't the player say himself he was on about 7k a week there),

He failed to live up to his hype and is now at oldham but now appears to have his head screwed on,

Some of these youngsters leaving are prob doing it for money under pressure from parents (thats what I suspect) and these are the ones who normally wouldn't make it anyway,

The likes of Joe morrell who turned down Liverpool for footballing reasons are the ones we want to watch as they appear mature and willing to improve themselfs,

I'm sure our under 14's have more then 2 decent players in there Jacob Maddox and Harry Kane could be the next england regualars but there is a bigger chance that we may never hear from them again,

One of the key things for me is that at 14 players will get noticed by other clubs but they aren't allowed an agent. Joe Morrell for example at nearly 16 had an agent who was able to advise on pros and cons of both. Liverpool and Chelsea will promise the earth but won't mention that you are 1out of 5 they've just signed in your position another you've been signed by the academy not Jose.

One of the key things for me is that at 14 players will get noticed by other clubs but they aren't allowed an agent. Joe Morrell for example at nearly 16 had an agent who was able to advise on pros and cons of both. Liverpool and Chelsea will promise the earth but won't mention that you are 1out of 5 they've just signed in your position another you've been signed by the academy not Jose.

no player should have an agent in an ideal world, then maybe wages wouldn't be over infleghted :(

Joe seems to have his head switched on

Archived