IGNORED

Interesting Debuts

Major Isewater

Was carrying out work at the City ground when John Galley arrived in December 1967 with an ankle in plaster. He was refereeing a 5 a side game on the car park, behind what is now known as the Williams Stand, running / limping about with his overcoat on. What the hell is Dicks playing at I thought. Come Saturday Galley scored all the goals in a 3 - 0 win at Huddersfield. just goes to show what I know about football!

I just knew someone would mention him, only game I missed that season. Yup, I'm still bitter after all these years!

I know we sold Shutt to Leeds for £50k and we got a certain Bob Taylor in exchange and Shutt scored a hat trick on his Leeds debut.

I don`t think the 4 goals against Fulham was his debut for us.

The S****horpe game wasn't Trundle's debut... I believe that was the 2-2 draw with QPR on the first day.

You're right; sharp memory you have there. Thinking about it we had QPR and then another game beforehand. S****horpe (love how it *s out the****) was first game of the previous season I believe, with a winner by Enoch? got them mixed up a little.

Greg Goodridges debut against Luton was the best I have ever seen in football. If he had played at 70% of that for the rest of his City career then he'd have played top flight football easily. Came away from that game so excited at who we'd signed. Soon realised he was so inconsistent and frustrating.

The same season Lee Miller and Luke Wilkshire made their debuts in a 5-0 home win v Notts County. Miller scoring a brace in the process.

Remember it well, 1st time i had a beer at Football. We were class that day, thought we would piss the league that year and probably should of.

You're right; sharp memory you have there. Thinking about it we had QPR and then another game beforehand. S****horpe (love how it *s out the ****) was first game of the previous season I believe, with a winner by Enoch? got them mixed up a little.

it was qpr then blackpool draw (murray volley from trunds shot) before win v scunny

John Pender wasn't it?

No, it was definitely Humphries who scored an own goal within a few seconds on his debut. You might be confusing Pender's own goal in the League Cup semi final away tie at Forest.

The great debut surely has to be, as previously mentioned, John Galley scoring all three goals at Huddersfield in a 3-0 win in December 1967. Phenomenal.

Not the most skilful, but a fans' favourite at City, Leeds and Bradford for his total commitment. How unlike last seasons collection of wasters!

Too right, a really passionate footballer. Remember Nicky Morgan? A few years later, I think. If those two had played together we'd have had the hardest working strike force in the history of the game. Adebola was another of that ilk.

I know we sold Shutt to Leeds for £50k and we got a certain Bob Taylor in exchange and Shutt scored a hat trick on his Leeds debut.

I don`t think the 4 goals against Fulham was his debut for us.

Don't think it was either but it might have been two goals at Blackpool which would still be pretty good.

Clive Whitehead at Millwall. Took Harry Cripps apart and scored both goals. Cripps never laid a boot on him - and he tried ;)

Aizoon! When I saw the title I thought well that's easy and I bet no one else was there on the forum.

I will read your comments with a little bit more interest in future and I know you're the bloke with the hedgehog that showed up on chat toward the end of last season once or twice....Hopefully you will come along more often!

Yes Millwall away in 73! I was 11 and this ******* horrible six foot docker was given me and my old man shit something fierce as we went under the railway arch to get to the ground....Those of you that went to the shithole they called the Den will know what I mean..

At Gerry's do 18 months ago I had dinner with Brian Drysdale and I mentioned I was at Clive Whiteheads debut and he got one....Brian Drysdale (a gentleman of the highest order) introduced me to Clive saying this bloke was at your debut..I said yes and you scored....Clive looking a bit shocked said "who got the other" (sorry mate he didnt get both!)? Quicker than a flash I said Bobby Gould!....I think I unerved him as he became a little odd after that!!!!!!!!!

So I suppose god bless your memory but he didn't get both of them, but we were there!

Archived