IGNORED

Interesting Debuts

Major Isewater

I remember clear as day the début of our long awaited Cheesley replacement Joe Royle.

I had ,for better or for worse ,blagged my way into the Dolman for the first time ever and was treated to four goals from our débutant .

Those cloggers from middlesborough Did n't know what hit thèm and we had an instant new hero.

Anyone else recall their favourite débuts ?

Lee Trundle. Both his unofficial debut against Yeovil in a friendly where I think he was still officially a Swansea player and scored an provided a nice assist and his 'official' debut against S****horpe when he scored 2 including that beauty into the top corner. Gave us an idea of his talent if used correctly.

In 1979 we signed a Dutch winger, Gerd Meijer. On his debut at Ashton Gate against Birmingham with his first touch he ran down the left wing from the halfway line, cut inside and let loose a thunderbolt to score. Unfortunately it was a bit of a flash in the pan, the following season he was mainly on the bench, and then we got relegated that season. From memory though he was typically Dutch in terms of natural ability and was a hit with the fans, though probably not really a team player.

In 1979 we signed a Dutch winger, Gerd Meijer. On his debut at Ashton Gate against Birmingham with his first touch he ran down the left wing from the halfway line, cut inside and let loose a thunderbolt to score. Unfortunately it was a bit of a flash in the pan, the following season he was mainly on the bench, and then we got relegated that season. From memory though he was typically Dutch in terms of natural ability and was a hit with the fans, though probably not really a team player.

Ah yes, I remember it well.

Gerd was very tall and very quick - not the build you expect from a left winger. His goal was fantastic and set a very high expectation of what he may go on to achieve but unfortunately, he peaked that day and did little else of note during his time with us.

Stefan Maierhofer - Always have a giggle when I think of a 6'8" striker making his debute in goal!

His debut was "that" night in Plymouth when he actually scored a legitimate goal ruled out for offside with the scores at 0-0.

Who knows what might have happened if that had stood...?

One that sticks in my mind for me was Marc Goodfellows. Tinnions 500th game and he provided the cross and 4 foot 1 freezer heading in for the winner in injury time. Marvin Brown also started that game i believe.

The same season Lee Miller and Luke Wilkshire made their debuts in a 5-0 home win v Notts County. Miller scoring a brace in the process.

Lee Trundle. Both his unofficial debut against Yeovil in a friendly where I think he was still officially a Swansea player and scored an provided a nice assist and his 'official' debut against S****horpe when he scored 2 including that beauty into the top corner. Gave us an idea of his talent if used correctly.

The S****horpe game wasn't Trundle's debut... I believe that was the 2-2 draw with QPR on the first day.

Maybe it wasn't his debut, but I always remember a Tuesday night when he destroyed the opposition. Was it Luton? When he was in the mood he was unplayable.

Think you're right. Didn't we win 5-2 or something and he scored 2, possibly 3?

Think you're right. Didn't we win 5-2 or something and he scored 2, possibly 3?

If my memory serves, it would have been an Easter fixture on Tuesday 30th March 1993 - my eldest son was born on the Monday and I decided to miss the game to spend time with him and my my wife. I remember getting home and looking up the score on Teletext and thinking that I'd missed a cracker. I don't think it was Greg's debut though.

Referring to the OP, yes 4 goals on his debut by Joe Royle was and still is a club record.

However go back to 15th January 1938; Alfie Rowles scored a hat trick on his debut for City and then scored in the next 5 games as well. 12 goals in his first six games - a record for a player starting his League career. Unfortunately he retired with a knee injury and City missed promotion by one point.

I remember clear as day the début of our long awaited Cheesley replacement Joe Royle.

I had ,for better or for worse ,blagged my way into the Dolman for the first time ever and was treated to four goals from our débutant .

Those cloggers from middlesborough Did n't know what hit thèm and we had an instant new hero.

Anyone else recall their favourite débuts ?

Yep remember it well. Stood in the east end when the east end was proper. The Boro tough nuts like Souness and Kenny Burns were shell shocked and didn't know what hit them. However, Royal did have a goal drought after that game.

Archived