IGNORED

Fielding News

Eagle Eyed

No it's absolutely not - surely about £3,500 would be more like the basic wage for the higher end clubs in L1. Why would BCFC be 'a higher end club when it comes to wages' anyway - we're meant to be making drastic cuts!

Those clubs paying the much higher figures you quote would mostly be clubs saddled with higher waged players because they've come down from the Championship, not the sort of figures clubs would choose to pay newcomers at this level.

All ridiculous figures of course, but the point is City were meant to be a club vowing to start afresh with younger, hungrier players who didn't require outlandish wages, only average third division wages - and £5,500 per week certainly isn't that.

Taken in isolation your comment may have some merit. But you have to take the wage bill into persepective as a whole. Consider the following assuming the quoted figures are correct.:-

Taking Goalkeeping as a specific "Department" last season we had Heaton and Gerken. Now if they were both on average Championship wages of say £5.5K per week like Fielding we would have been paying £11K per week for our goalkeepers.

Next season we will be paying £4K per week for Fielding and I would guess a MAXIMUM £1.5K per week for a younger keeper who can fill in at League 1 level when required and will be improving hopefully as he goes along. £5.5K in total (50% of the previous season) or an average of £2,750 per week.

The following season we will be paying £5.5K per week for Fielding and £1.5K for the other keeper giving a tortal of £7K per week or an average of £3.5K which by your own reckoning is the average basic for higher end League 1 clubs and by that point you would hope that both keepers are fighting it out for the shirt.

I would say the club have got it spot on looking at the bigger picture. You would hope that Fielding is better than an "average" League 1 keeper and I personally would rather have one "above average" keeper and one youngster with good potential improving as he goes along at £7K per week than two "average" League 1 keepers fighting it out for a spot for the same money.

When Southampton were in league one, 2010, they were paying at least one player a basic of £13,000 a week. I won't name the player but be assured he was no one special, nor has he gone on to be. Yup, I was staggered at that amount too. I can't believe he was an exception either.

Yes this info is 3 years old, and the financial situation tightened. But from what I also know about his and other player salaries I think people on the whole underestimate what players in league one/championship earn. Perhaps it's best not to know as it's pretty sickening at times.

When Southampton were in league one, 2010, they were paying at least one player a basic of £13,000 a week. I won't name the player but be assured he was no one special, nor has he gone on to be. Yup, I was staggered at that amount too. I can't believe he was an exception either.

Yes this info is 3 years old, and the financial situation tightened. But from what I also know about his and other player salaries I think people on the whole underestimate what players in league one/championship earn. Perhaps it's best not to know as it's pretty sickening at times.

Didn't happen to be a bristol born Southampton player by any chance?

Archived