IGNORED

Massive Club... Sleeping Giant?

fka dagest

Fellow Reds,

I wonder, which clubs would you describe as 'massive' or as a 'sleeping giant'? I know those terms have been used about us before, but who else can you think of?

Bradford City?

What about this one (last sentence)?

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/s-plenty-potential-non-league-scene-says-new/story-19396990-detail/story.html

What defines massive?

Historical success on top flight & cups?

Size of stadium?

Average crowds?

Historically big attendances?

A large potential fan base?

A bit of all of it, Bristol City in league one are a sleeping giant, we should be Championship at least. Bristol Rovers in League Two are a sleeping giant, they should be a League One club where they have been for the bulk of their history.

yeah, you could argue for a city the size of Bristol both teams should do better.

We are neither a massive club or a sleeping giant. For a city the size of Bristol you could argue that we have underacheived throughout our history compared to clubs like Nottingham Forest and Ipswich for example.

Genuine sleeping giants IMO:

Preston North End
Sheffield Utd
Wolves

agree with all of these.

What defines massive?

Size of stadium?

Average crowds?

Average crowds is the number 1 factor for me. The club is it's fans - large fan base equals large club, currently we have a medium to low sized fan base.

Sleeping Giant...... Such a ridiculous phrase used in football.

A club deserves to be where they are, history is history.

Wolves are a very big club, so are Sheffield United but neither are sleeping giants. No club is a sleeping giant imo.

Sheffield Utd - 60 years in the top flight (according to Wiki), FA Cup winners 4 times, Former League Champions, now struggling to get out of League 1.

Wolves have been league Champions 3 times and FA Cup winners 4 times and will be hosting teams like Stevenage and Gillingham next year.

Personally I think they can be described as 'sleeping giants', but that's just my opinion.

Preston, no way, famous old club yes, but giant nah, their crowds even when doing relatively well don't warrent it !

You've got a point. I was looking at it from the perspective of how successful they were in the Pre War era but you're definitely right that their crowds can't compete with other clubs in the North West like Man City who had very large attendances even in league 1.

For me a massive club is a club with huge fan base, masses of revenue, state of the art facilities and a team that is respected throughout football.

Real Madrid

Bayern Munich

Manchester United

The 3 biggest clubs in football worldwide.

I know.

No one follows those pesky little Italian sides. Nothing clubs. I mean what have Milan ever achieved?

I know.

No one follows those pesky little Italian sides. Nothing clubs. I mean what have Milan ever achieved?

Outside of Italy they aren't followed anywhere near in the same way as Madrid, Bayern and United.

They don't make anywhere near as much revenue.

They have a rich history but Juventus are still the most followed club in Italy.

Sleeping Giants? Hard to define really, Arseal and Everton are huge clubs who haven't won anything for a while. Do they count?

As for Rovers, below the satndard they should be at, probably, but certainly not a sleeping giant.

What defines massive?

Size of stadium?

Average crowds?

It's a difficult one, trophy's won and time in the top flight i think are the most important. But there are a few clubs with big support who had some success 40-50 years ago that have done nothing since but are still concidered big clubs i.e Wolves.

You heard about this on here last year but judging by those comments in the Bristol Post the grapevine must be buzzing with talk of a new owner at Rovers.

A recreated Team Bath at the UWE stadium ?

I used to be acquainted with the chaps mother Hylda

"She knows y'know"

For me a massive club is a club with huge fan base, masses of revenue, state of the art facilities and a team that is respected throughout football.

Real Madrid

Bayern Munich

Manchester United

The 3 biggest clubs in football worldwide.

You would have to add AC MILAN to that list

Sleeping Giants? Hard to define really, Arseal and Everton are huge clubs who haven't won anything for a while. Do they count?

As for Rovers, below the satndard they should be at, probably, but certainly not a sleeping giant.

Is that a device that can be used when suffering from the trots ?

Archived