IGNORED

Lansdown Interview (Merged)

Jordan Tansley

Interestingly a lot of talk about being a Community Club and that Ashton & Backwell and the Clevedon friendlies reflect this.

My question to JL would have been how did the aborted pre-season tour to BOTSWANA tie in with this philosophy?

Interestingly a lot of talk about being a Community Club and that Ashton & Backwell and the Clevedon friendlies reflect this.

My question to JL would have been how did the aborted pre-season tour to BOTSWANA tie in with this philosophy?

the community trust are in Botswana at the moment

What I'm saying is its clear there was something in it involving foster, but he didn't divulge that information. He just sounded a tad edgy when asked how it came about rather than just saying straight up that burt organised it

Does it matter?

What I'm saying is its clear there was something in it involving foster, but he didn't divulge that information. He just sounded a tad edgy when asked how it came about rather than just saying straight up that burt organised it

because its a internal club matter between us and rangers and prob didn't want the media to know,

Community Trust are in Botswana are they. Great use of funds...

As if it is even worth promoting our 'brand' and PR rep in Africa, we won't attract more fans through the gates for it.

Botswana is one of the wealthiest countries in Africa and I imagine us playing there would have generated some publicity. If we assume that Africa is the next great market for English football, you could argue that it shows great foresight- even though I think the link probably has more to do with Steve Lansdown's business interests. Anyway, I don't feel pre-season tours should have any significant consideration of fans; only a couple of hundred can go even if it's in Europe and it should be about preparation (not that Botswana is necessarily the best place to go for that)

Community Trust are in Botswana are they. Great use of funds...

As if it is even worth promoting our 'brand' and PR rep in Africa, we won't attract more fans through the gates for it.

ahh typical short sightedness of a city fan,

I'm sure people use to say that about the asian market

ahh typical short sightedness of a city fan,

I'm sure people use to say that about the asian market

Sorry who are you to tar all City fans with the same brush?

And please enlighten me as to how the Asian market, or African market are going to help Bristol City Football Club?

I'll be awaiting your reply eagerly.

Botswana is one of the wealthiest countries in Africa and I imagine us playing there would have generated some publicity. If we assume that Africa is the next great market for English football, you could argue that it shows great foresight- even though I think the link probably has more to do with Steve Lansdown's business interests. Anyway, I don't feel pre-season tours should have any significant consideration of fans; only a couple of hundred can go even if it's in Europe and it should be about preparation (not that Botswana is necessarily the best place to go for that)

No fork tongue, I've been to Botswanna ... I won't image, I shall stride to the high ground and say this is a waste of the Community trust's resource.

The community trust would be better used in Bristols parks over the summer months running far more training courses for Wurzel kids after school.

That would do more to prevent the offensive infestation of EPL shirts taking further hold.

Support your local COMMUNITY club like.

No fork tongue, I've been to Botswanna ... I won't image, I shall stride to the high ground and say this is a waste of the Community trust's resource.

The community trust would be better used in Bristols parks over the summer months running far more training courses for Wurzel kids after school.

That would do more to prevent the the offensive infestation of EPL shirts taking further hold.

Support your local COMMUNITY club like.

Don't get me wrong; we should be engaging with local kids as much as possible and from what I can tell we've increased our local presence greatly. However, I just don't buy the 'insulting to the fans' or 'waste of time' argument. It is not a project without any potential benefit for the club

What are the quantifiable benefits of such a project?

New fans buying tickets/merchandise?

New sponsorship?

New players?

Enhanced reputation?

Possibly the latter although I doubt anyone really cares given how small a club we are in worldwide/commercial terms.

Don't get me wrong; we should be engaging with local kids as much as possible and from what I can tell we've increased our local presence greatly. However, I just don't buy the 'insulting to the fans' or 'waste of time' argument. It is not a project without any potential benefit for the club

Check the community trusts website, have a look at where the coaching is after school, how accessible it is, it's cost, it cost to travel to ..

Money spent on air fares could increase that, money spent on salary spent on kids in this community.

Carbon footprint cut planet saved.

What are the quantifiable benefits of such a project?

New fans buying tickets/merchandise?

New sponsorship?

New players?

Enhanced reputation?

Possibly the latter although I doubt anyone really cares given how small a club we are in worldwide/commercial terms.

Merchandise- given the relative wealth of Botswana, it's quite concievable that we could shift some shirts there

Sponsorship- probably not

Players- quite possibly, more formal coaching in an increasingly wealthy nation is likely to result in a pool of better players. Not a massive benefit though

Reputation- while it perhaps shouldn't be, it's far easier to promote activity in a developing nation than it is in our own back yard. Turning that into tangible benefit is the trick

I'm not necessarily saying that a pre-season in Botswana is the best idea ever, but at least it's a little more inventive than Portugal or La Manga- take the players out of their comfort zone. I suspect that Lansdown will have called in favours and drummed up sponsorship so the full cost wouldn't have been born by the club, though that's for him to decide really. I just don't like this concept that the club has betrayed the fans or the area in some way through trying to find a pre-season destination that has the vague possibility of us profiting from somewhere down the line

Archived