IGNORED

Skiing Advice

internetjef

Hello all

Want to go on a skiing holiday with about 10-15 mates (mixed group, inc some WAGs, all late 20's). Prob thinking Jan/Feb

Some of us havent ski'd before at all (but will do a few dry slope/snowdome lessons before), couple of the group pretty decent.

Can anyone suggest a good place to go?

Key things we are looking for

- Snow (:laugh:)

- Cheap/Good value

- Good blend of beginner/advanced slopes

- Decent nightlife (apres-ski or whatever its called)

- decent transport links, fly from brizzle or london (no 6 hour coach drives through mountains)

- would like to get shared accomodation with the group. would consider catered or self catered.

Ive heard France/Switzerland are meant to be pricey and also v difficult so that prob rules those out.

Over to you guys....

Any help would be much appreciated.

If we enjoy it we might look at that Snowmbombing ski / music festival in Austria the year after

A skiing forum I'm on - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/ would be useful to point you in the right direction of places/accommodation etc.

Going to a snowdome as suggested above is definitely worthwhile doing before you go. When me and my mate went skiing for the first time, I'd been indoors first and he'd never skied. By the end of the week I was a lot more advanced than he was and able to do more as we both had lessons during that week and i was then in a higher ski school group than him.

cheers guys

yeah there are snowdomes in tamworth and milton keynes so gonna do a 'crash (ahem) -course' at one of those first.

They do like a day long intensive course that will teach you the basics.

Dezgimed - that sounds like one of the more upmarket ones is that right? we prob need a more value option.

Nibor - is the one you mentioned a top end one or good value?

Cheddar - 3 hours drive isnt end of the world, decent nightlife?

Jacki - valuable points noed :laugh:

cider 11 - cheers for the link

Yeh it prob was (we got a deal on it), but I would warn that skiing can not be done 'cheap' in my opinion...

Ski lessons

Ski hire

Ski pass

Restaurants/cafes on the slopes

Accommodation

etc etc

It isnt cheap when you add it all together!!

Isn't Bulgaria supposed to be cheap with a good nightlife?

I don't ski but my brother in law goes every year, he went to Switzerland last year for 10 days, he said the skiing was incredible but the cost blew him away, £8 for a beer!!

Romania is ridiculously cheap for skiing. Language barrier maybe a problem. They are only just opening up to foreign skiers.

Beautiful country and great skiing. Off of most peoples radar.

Hmmmm not sure im too hot on my Romanian dialect TRL

being able to blag my way through with english would be a real bonus

Aye its a risk and travel in Romania is not the best. But for unspoilt skiing its top notch.

If the Romanian government get their asses in gear and start promoting their country to the outside world, they could make a fortune. Beautiful country and some cracking skiing areas.

cheers guys

yeah there are snowdomes in tamworth and milton keynes so gonna do a 'crash (ahem) -course' at one of those first.

They do like a day long intensive course that will teach you the basics.

Dezgimed - that sounds like one of the more upmarket ones is that right? we prob need a more value option.

Nibor - is the one you mentioned a top end one or good value?

Cheddar - 3 hours drive isnt end of the world, decent nightlife?

Jacki - valuable points noed :laugh:

cider 11 - cheers for the link

really depends on what you want to do, what sort of things do you want to do in the evenings?

Andorra and the French Pyrenees are my nearest ski stations, the French resorts are very laid back, cheapish and quiet.

Andorra has come on leaps and bounds over the last 10 years and now has some great skiing, with lifts connecting 3 resorts, good night life and I would of thought much cheaper than the Alps.

Archived