IGNORED

Flint And Williams

Robin 101

can anyone who has seen them play often tell me if they are up to this standard???

I have seen a lot of people putting them in the starting eleven but I wonder if this is just because they want to see youth.

Are these two better then fonts and carey. I can see fonts and flint starting as carey cant play every game and williams is very un experienced but i may be wrong??

can anyone who has seen them play often tell me if they are up to this standard???

I have seen a lot of people putting them in the starting eleven but I wonder if this is just because they want to see youth.

Are these two better then fonts and carey. I can see fonts and flint starting as carey cant play every game and williams is very un experienced but i may be wrong??

Of course they are. They obviously need to go out and prove it over a season.

It is nigh on impossible to judge whether new signings are 'up to this standard' on the evidence of the two games we have played where we have little defending to do. (Although James Wilson was horrendous in his 45 minutes Saturday).

Since we signed Flint I seem to have been in the minority in thinking that his partner at the start of the season will be Fontaine rather than Williams. At this extremely early stage of pre season I haven't seen anything to suggest I need to change my mind on that.

It is nigh on impossible to judge whether new signings are 'up to this standard' on the evidence of the two games we have played where we have little defending to do. (Although James Wilson was horrendous in his 45 minutes Saturday).

Since we signed Flint I seem to have been in the minority in thinking that his partner at the start of the season will be Fontaine rather than Williams. At this extremely early stage of pre season I haven't seen anything to suggest I need to change my mind on that.

I agree about Wilson. He looked terrible in the second half against A &B

Both young and in Williams case inexperienced at first team level.

Swindon fans said Flint played better with a more experienced partner doing the organising.

So I think Flint will start as No 1 RCB with Louis coming in if he's injured/suspended

and

Fontaine staring as No 1 LCB with Williams coming in if he is injured/suspended

If Williams does come in and plays really well he may keep the shirt but I think he'll need to be patient at the start.

edit: with these 4 CB's don't really see the point of keeping Wilson as he will be 5th choice.

I think we should judge them after the Rangers game.

Yeah let's see if they can contain a third division scottish strikeforce :facepalm:

Reading will be more of a test to be honest considering they are going to batter the Championship next season.

Williams also looked very tidy (going forward anyway) at LB on Saturday, overlapped with Bryan well and does seem very pacey for a 'CB' certainly looks to be no lie that he can play in either position.

I think we should judge them after the Rangers game.

I think thats way too early.

Judge a player before playing a competitve game seems a bit fickle.

They all need a good 10+ competitive games at least.

But the judging process on otib seems to come before being fair.

Both young and in Williams case inexperienced at first team level.

Swindon fans said Flint played better with a more experienced partner doing the organising.

So I think Flint will start as No 1 RCB with Louis coming in if he's injured/suspended

and

Fontaine staring as No 1 LCB with Williams coming in if he is injured/suspended

If Williams does come in and plays really well he may keep the shirt but I think he'll need to be patient at the start.

edit: with these 4 CB's don't really see the point of keeping Wilson as he will be 5th choice.

If we had no centre backs in the squad it would still be pointless keeping Wilson because he is absolutely terrible.

I can not beleve that after last seasons performance people would still have Fontaine in there team. Perhaps I'm being harsh I don't know I just can't bare another season with him messing up

Font needs a strong first ball centre back alongside him. Yes, he had a mare last season but how many games did he have that and play as part of a settled back line? I can see him doing well alongside Flint next season especially if backed by Moloney & Cunningham as full backs.

Thought Williams played well on Saturday, was involved in the goal, showed class with his pass to Burns who then set up Woods for the goal.

Was not at fault for the 2 goals conceded that was down to the trialist keeper and Wilson.

Would get the nod over Fonts next season in my opinion, early days i know!

Think it will be - Maloney Flint Williams Cunningham

We need to remember Fonts was a consistent performer over many many seasons- I'm sure he would admit last season he was poor. But he needs that tall ball winning centre half alongside him. He was part of a defence that simply got overrun last season and was shot of all confidence, but I'm sure he will be a class act at this level as he proved before . Form is temporary class is permanent. What is good is that he now has competition for his place instead of being a certain starter as in previous seasons and IF he has another nightmare start I have no problem seeing him dropped. I know some will not be so forgiving and will not want to give him another chance, but life is all about making mistakes learning from them and moving forward. Give the guy a break, that's my opinion anyway.

Archived