IGNORED

The Gasheads 2Nd Team

Pearcy

Being related to an enthusiastic Celtic fan based in Bristol, and friends with a good number of other Celts I can tell you his 2nd team is... Celtic, unsurprisingly. Isn't bothered with the local teams.

Same for me when I lived in Glasgow; went to Celtic, Rangers, Partick T and Queen's Park games as a spectator but not a supporter (also to Motherwell, who provided the most entertainment to be honest). That's because I'm a Bristol City fan, and wherever I might be that doesn't change.

And as the clubs in Bristol (thankfully) aren't unhealthily connected to any centuries-old religious conflict there is no 'obvious' connection between the two above personal reasons.

Utter rubbish, we've got a fair few that travel to Rangers on a regular basis and are made very welcome. I've never heard of this with Celtic, although I'm sure there's plenty of city fans who. support them, it's way more apparent that we have a following of teddy bears amongst us, I being one.

My comment was a bit sarcastic. Celtic never go down well on this board due to the green brigade and their vendetta. That small minority aside I was taken to see Celtic when I was about 10 and though I obviously dont watch them (CL aside) I do like to see them do well. I am a practicing Anglican (CoE) though. I'm not bothered by the religion thing as a christian is a christian...end of

Please no , not rule Britannia, so embarrassing. God save the Queen? the dullest dirge imaginable. we need something rousing as a National anthem like "La Marseillaise" and no doubt the old favourite amongst bigots "no surrender" will get an airing. we are not at "last night of the Proms" you know.

Well I and many others are proud to be British, aren't "bigots" and if we choose to, will sing/chant pro British songs. I'm also aware it's not last of the proms, thanks.

A question for our Rovers colleagues (who seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on here):

Do you get this copycat sectarian rubbish on your forum too or do Rovers fans accept that they live in Bristol and not Glasgow?

South Glos surely? But I take your point...

Anyone who knows, say, 10 or so City fans from Bedminster or Knowle West "from the old days" must surely know at least one Catholic.

Dead right, on the South Bristol estates there were hundreds of us, particularly in KW, some right nuts among them as well, remember some great times up the Venture singing City songs mixed in with a few Irish Rebel songs. the catholic clubs were a bit exclusive in my time though, (CTK in Filwood, Holy Cross,Bemmy & the Sartan club Withywood), had to be a Catholic to get in,

Catholic City fans/ Protestant City fans - what type of loser seriously identifies themselves as either.

Well I am a protestant, and a city fan. But that doesn't group me as separate from other City fans. No matter what gender, age, religion race, we are all city fans and is what brings us to watch city and to this board

Went to leyton orient in the mid eighties with the bemmy catholic clubon a coach. The driver was the priest I was the only "protestant" That aside city mates I still go and watch games with also watch celtic. Worried s little that this couldvbecome devisive when it never was an issue before.......

I received a friendly warning from a gas head I work with. According to him most gas heads 2nd team is no other than Rangers. He reckons that a number of them have bought tickets in the home end on Saturday.

Most gas heads second team is Rangers - no way. There are a few. The only ones I know are going are in the Rangers end

I am Church of England and City, but I think it is great if Catholics in the City follow the Robins. I'll join in with pro British songs on Saturday but not songs that are anything like 'up to your knees in Fenian blood' no place for that in Bristol.

Most City fans i know have a PREFERENCE for Celtic, loads of us brought up in KW went to the local Catholic school and then onto the bigger south Bristol Secondary Catholic School (again nearly all City and all Catholic) only know a few who travel to Parkhead occasionally, most,like me don't see the Celts as our 2nd team but obviously the Catholic/Irish connection means we prefer them.

Agree with this.

I went to St Bede's and there were a large amount of City fans there. Most didn't care about the Old Firm, but I can't think of any who preferred Rangers out of the two.

Does it matter anyway?

From bitter experience I can say that a sizeable number of Gash watch Rangers - the only real trouble I've had wearing my Celtic pin badge all came from Rovers fans. Once on a flight back from Glasgow after an Old Firm game and another on our way to watch Celtic on the box in Bristol.

There is also a Bristol City flag that gets taken to Ireland games so the connection's there.

Agree with this.

I went to St Bede's and there were a large amount of City fans there. Most didn't care about the Old Firm, but I can't think of any who preferred Rangers out of the two.

Does it matter anyway?

From bitter experience I can say that a sizeable number of Gash watch Rangers - the only real trouble I've had wearing my Celtic pin badge all came from Rovers fans. Once on a flight back from Glasgow after an Old Firm game and another on our way to watch Celtic on the box in Bristol.

There is also a Bristol City flag that gets taken to Ireland games so the connection's there.

St Bedes the Catholic school? No wonder there were no Rangers fans!!

Yes, I made myself look a bit thick there didn't I?!

Was more aimed at executed wolf who said he didn't know any Catholic City fans.

:thumbsup:

I know a few blokes who went to St Bedes and they're all City. My nephew left last year and he's a ST holder, plenty of City supporting catholics around.

Anyone who knows, say, 10 or so City fans from Bedminster or Knowle West "from the old days" must surely know at least one Catholic.

I don't know that many people from Knowle West & living in London and Cardiff for so long & now Manchester, I'd say I hardly see that many of the boys at all.

I'll be sure to ask though on Saturday!

PS I married a Catholic.

I'm surprised File Transfer Protocol has been brought into this fascinating discussion about what brand of Christianity various non-church goers feel most attached too ;)

Hang The Treasonous Pope - or am I missing something here?

Archived