IGNORED

City Vs Rangers Match Day Thread

IdliketoRogerMoore

Stupid that people are moaning already. Pre-season means nothing, I've never gone to a game and never will do.

But today highlighted we still lack creativity for our strikers which affected us last season and I still believe this has not been addressed yet despite this being our Achilles heel. This is why I feel we will struggle again this season.

As SoD said, lots more positives than negatives. You can't read anything into friendlies and I think anyone that went today expecting end to end fluent football with goals of plenty was a bit narrow minded.

I thought the first half we played some good stuff but lacked creativity. Second half with the addition of a lot of the youngsters we had a bit more energy about is but were perhaps not as good in possession.

It just had a real freshness about it for a change. When was the last time we had a bench pretty much full of kids? If you nclude Joe Bryan, then 7 of the starting 11 were not involved last season. Factor in possible new additions, with the return of Cunningham and Moloney etc, come the end of last season would we all not have taken a squad shaping up like it is at this point?

I thought the new signings showed promise. JET looked as if he will be different class at league 1 level with a run of games.

Bobby Reid and Ajala looked full of energy when they came on and were both impressive. Dobie looked ok as well, quick feet and shifts it well and to be honest did more in the time he was on then Killa did all of last season. Joe Bryan looks a lot better for going on loan and looks ready now.

All in all the positives far out weigh any negatives. I think we are looking good at the moment. The whole process will take time and we must be patient, but I can't see how anyone can expect any more at present. Work in progress.

Poor game, but SOD is giving us what we want in terms of youth and fresh, young new faces. So there's no point complaining about what we all desperately wanted last year. I will give this team until Xmas before I judge them, you can't change the culture of a football club overnight.

Flint and Wagstaff impressed me, JET is a very physical player but can play with the ball at his feet as well, in a weird way he is a bit like Stead. Williams and Wynter may not quite be regularly in the team yet, but are players that are packed with potential. Again I was impressed by Bryan, who I believe is perfectly capable at championship level. Reid looked bright and added more of a attacking element to the midfield when he came on. Kelly should be one of the first on the team sheet next season, more than capable of playing at L1 level and it will suit his game very nicely. Davies, if he stays, will be nearing if not at his full potential and we must utilise that this season.

Fielding made one good save and caught or punched every cross that came his way, had a good solid game. Parish looked comfortable in goal as did Roos but I doubt he will make it.

All in all I can see a lot of exciting potential in most players who played today, baring Baldock (who will find L1 too physical), Kilkenny (same old pointing and not doing an awful lot) and of course Fontaine (who looked uncomposed and struggled).

Stupid that people are moaning already. Pre-season means nothing, I've never gone to a game and never will do.

But today highlighted we still lack creativity for our strikers which affected us last season and I still believe this has not been addressed yet despite this being our Achilles heel. This is why I feel we will struggle again this season.

Still missing our midfield general. Someone to run the game.

Great logic.

The trophy cabinet's been empty for **** knows how long, sticking the 'Blackthorn cup' in there would of embarrassed us further!

Do we actually have one? That buxom lass who was given the grand tour of the Gate wasn't shown it...

Our friendly results have been shite the last few years and each year people are shot down for moaning about them. Fact is the last few years we've been absolutely shite!

I'm not going to get too worked up about losing these games, but surely people can't deny it's worrying we can only put 1 goal past Backwell and lose to Clevedon and lowly Rangers.

Friendly or not I believe winning mentality is important and we're not showing any of that at present.

Our friendly results have been shite the last few years and each year people are shot down for moaning about them. Fact is the last few years we've been absolutely shite!

I'm not going to get too worked up about losing these games, but surely people can't deny it's worrying we can only put 1 goal past Backwell and lose to Clevedon and lowly Rangers.

Friendly or not I believe winning mentality is important and we're not showing any of that at present.

Our friendly results were very good last year, didn't do much for us in the end though.

Our friendly results were very good last year, didn't do much for us in the end though.

Ok but my point is in recent years we've lost numerous games to the likes of Clevedon, Torquay, Forest Green, St Johnstone.... Take your point though on reflection pre season was decent results wise last year.

Fielding: not a lot to do. One good save, one good take and a decent punch.

Williams: Good in the air, positional play slightly off

Flint: Solid no nonsense stuff. Good in the air, poor on the deck - expected. Given motm.

Fontaine: Looked calmer next to Flint, cleared the ball under the feet of Fielding when FF clearly called

Wynter: very composed and broke up the play well. Very arsenal

Bryan: busy and had Rangers players chopping at him all game.

Kelly: my man of the match, worked his socks off

JET: I'm excited by him. Not too much to rave about but a couple of runs were impressive, a glimpse of what he's capable of

Wagstaff: similar to Bryan really, good debut

Baldock: not in the game

Davies: not in the game

Roos: seemed shaky on the ball, couldn't do a lot about the goal

Parish: dodgy first clearance, but one comfortable save

Carey: poor mistake for their goal

Brundle: drifted out of position a bit

Wilson: didn't do a lot

King: good going forward put in some crosses but no one in the box

Ajala: very busy, loves a tackle, quite lightweight, looked knackered

Dobie: fairly composed on the ball, made a few runs forward

Reid: exciting prospect, very good on the ball

Kilkenny: same old, couple of decent forward balls though

Burns: showed his pace but no end product

Taylor: held up the ball ok, poor first touch and spacial awareness

Not a chance was there only 2500 Rangers fans, 3500 at least, fantastic support.

As for us, Ajala was the highlight added a spark to the team when he came on. Up until that point we were lacking a bit of width, and we were far too narrow without creating much. Emmanuel-Thomas, Flint and Wynter all did well too.

I hope Cunningham's injury is that and no more.

Still a lot to improve on but that's what pre-season is for.

All in all I enjoyed being there, mainly due to the Rangers fans, the match was pretty naff (as would be expected at this stage of pre-season).

Yes the Rangers fans put on a good show, but they are a right big bunch of horrible w@nkers.

The firework they let of nearly gave me a seizure... I mean who does that? 10 German bombers song and other nationalistic rubbish they were singing were rather cringeworthy, but i'll give it to them that visually they looked pretty good. Much prefer them to Celtic fans coming down but I was quite ennoyed we didn't get the empty section of the EE, 4,000 was a silly amount to allocate them.

°F = (9/5 °C) +32

I make that about 158f as Bristol is about 26oc

How did u get 330?

edit:

Bristol is a pretty swealtering 30oC... Jeez thts hot enough

You can get temps of 135of in Middle East, and I did say 'practically' anyways

Kelvin is the "proper" measurement, not Fahrenheit. I was just being an arse tbf.

Timing was wrong, next weekend and 10k of us would be here . Your city is great .

Don't beat yourselves up , we are better than our league position. At least 10 of today's players have played international footy.

Probably though our most talented 3 Sheils, Templeton and McKay were all missing

Not the worst game in the world. We looked fairly solid and knocked the ball about reasonably well.

I thought the changes disrupted the game tbh. Understandable.

Burns fluffed the only decent opportunity we had. Fairly pleased with their efforts in the searing heat. Only an error you wouldn't expect from Carey enabled Rangers to score.

I thought their number 6, Mohsni, was class. Had no idea he was at Rangers.

Not the worst game in the world. We looked fairly solid and knocked the ball about reasonably well.

Burns fluffed the only decent opportunity we had. Fairly pleased with their efforts in the searing heat. Only an error you wouldn't expect from Carey enabled Rangers to score.

If Baldock had been bigger he would of got on the cross fire along the goal

Agree with all that we were decent first half add Cunningham and moloney to that first half team were be ok this season. Their no 6 was awesome he had Baldock then Wes burns in his back pocket most of the game Taylor gave him the slip once in the second half but put the header over the bar. onwards and upwards bring on Bradford can't wait.

Mohsni has just arrived this pre-season , The Rangers had a lot of kids playing today as opposed to their best team , although some are injured .

City really should do better against them .

I'm sure the same could be said when u lost to Elgin whoever it was last season....only difference is this game meant **** all.

Rangers fan here.

Didnt see the game so cant comment on either performance but just signed up to say thank you for the nice comments and having us down there. All the best in your march back to the championship lads.

ps. I know who i'll go in my next football manager journey now :laugh:

Archived