IGNORED

Best Ever Bristol City Manager?

Tom

Because younger people generally use the Internet more than older that's all.

I'm a younger person, but I've taken the trouble to read into the history of the club, and I'd never choose Johnson over Dicks.

At the very least people could read the blurbs on the site.

Terry Cooper

Best doesnt mean most successful

Hear hear, if only GJ could have done half of what TCS did he would indeed be a legend in my eyes, people forget what TC Had to work with, YTS's, ex players in the twilight of their career and journey men, also he was kit man, mini bus driver and odd job man.

The man took the club by the scruff of the neck and got us back on the road to recovery, he also made one of the best deals for a player I remember, £15,000 for Alan Walsh I believe.

The man who became City Manager on three occasions (twice being asked to come back!), and guided the team into Div 1 and a FA Cup final; Harry Thickett.

Then again Bob Hewison, took over when the team had just been relegated to Div 3 in 1933 and sorted the finances to save the club from bankruptcy.

As has been posted Terry Cooper performed wonders for this club. He became, perhaps uniquely, a player/manager/director as the board valued his contribution to City.

Alan Dicks was Manager for 13 years; after his dismissal, City had seven Managers in the next 14 years.

Remember you young 'uns; Alan D got City up automatically, Gary J only to the play off final.

In my time (1982 -) I would go for 1st Gary Johnson 2nd Terry Cooper 3rd Joe Jordan. But overall I think it has to go to Alan Dicks for getting City up on a limited budget and then keeping the, up for four seasons. He can't be blamed for the financial chaos that then ensued, that must be down to the board.

Terry Cooper for me.For all the reasons stated.we played some nice football and had a sense of unity at the club.

Alan Dicks,a real gent, replied in person to a letter i sent when we avoided relégation .He also sent me a team photo signed by all or most of the players.

I dont think we can really compare though ,each situation was différent

Alan Dicks - for many reasons one being that we he was sacked all the East End chanted "Dicks Out" to which me dad replied "No it's too cold!" Nice one Dad..

Also he got us to the first division and I went to school with his son and met him on lads of ocassions and he's a top bloke.

Has to be Dicks surely and sometimes I feel rather wistful at the fact I was only two years old when we got promoted to the old first division so I remember none of it.

However in the time I've been actively following the club and attending matches (1989 -) it has to be Gary J.

Huge fan of the guy. Even now, just thinking about him, I inflate to at least three times my normal size.

And then remain in that condition for some considerable time.

Archived