IGNORED

Arrogance Or Ignorance Of Rugger Fellows.

Rich

And you'd say that to a 6ft 8 flanker such as Warburton would you???

That is ridiculous... Go to a local rugby club and see for yourself, You are wrong in your perceptions of rugby players.

Some people are built to play rugby and others aren't ... Horses for courses.

Thats a bit rude calling him a flanker, got your spelling wrong, if he is a big boy perhaps he should stop eating all that bread he bakes.

I try not to sterotype by highlighting other groups of people but it's difficult when you want to be specific, unfortunately some people don't read the post and digest it, they then refer to only one portion of mine or anyone elses post sighting stereotyping and it goes off on a tangent. :thumbsup:

Sorry Rich, but no, I DO get your original point but you yourself DID stray from it into a stereotype.

Your OP DID ask the question " has anyone else noticed this?" and DID NOT imply you thought they were all like that. However, later on, you brought University education and types of professions into it, that is when you stereotyped and that is when I responded. You can try to say that people don't read your posts or miss your point but actually I DID read your posts and, unfortunately, you made TWO, rather different points.

Are there certain types of rugby fans who are up themselves and unbearable? Yes. We're you right to suggest that they are University educated, professionals? No, because that is a stereotype.

You started out making an interesting point and ended up insulting many of us on here and them claimed we were willfully not getting your point. I got it, unfortunately, you made two points and one of them was grossly unjustified.

SOME Rugby fans are ******s, it seems you have met more than your fair share. The fact that THEY may have gone to University and now have good jobs ( not having to scrimp and save to go on holiday is not a crime) does not allow you to draw that line across all people who went to Uni, have decent jobs and enjoy rugby. Simple really.

BTW, SOME football fans are ******s too! Hard to imagine, I know, but true nonetheless

Rather polish a turd

Get it wrong in the scrum fella and you might end up doing just that!

Rich - looks like we're never going to agree on this! You ever want to get on a train and watch a game come stand in The Shed at Gloucester with me. It may, for 80 minutes at least, change your mind

I always stick up for rugby fans in the same way I find all football fans being called hooligans annoying

Rich - looks like we're never going to agree on this! You ever want to get on a train and watch a game come stand in The Shed at Gloucester with me. It may, for 80 minutes at least, change your mind

I always stick up for rugby fans in the same way I find all football fans being called hooligans annoying

While we're on the subject of The Shed, perhaps I'll see you there this season. No ROG for you to hate on this year though ;)

While we're on the subject of The Shed, perhaps I'll see you there this season. No ROG for you to hate on this year though ;)

Ha, ROG always got a great reception at Kingsholm Michael, you know that.....!

If you're coming then let me know and we'll have a pint. Thinking about a weekend in Munster too, should finances allow.....

I don't know what you think my opinion is of rugby fans. I have never generalised or called rugby fans toffs or priviliged or whatever. I only ever related to some experiences I had with certain rugby followers. I also voiced my opinion about the media who tend to batter football at every oportunity, though not quite so much nowadays. I wondered if others had experienced the same and was interested in their opinions and any specific details they might have. I guess at the end of the day it's a class thing, in rugby there are definately more people from the professional, middle or upper classes who make up the crowd when compared to a football crowd, they will have predjudices just as less priviliged people will have their own predjudices.

For the record, I played rugby at school and used to watch at the Memorial Ground. I saw the dominance of the game by the Welsh through the 70s and witnessed the boring kicking game of and in England which put me off completely. I watch occasionally nowadays and enjoy a little league on telly. Both football and rugby have good and bad points and comparing certain aspects directly is difficult because of the different attributes required but, the basic skills in rugby are carried out with the ball in the hands which in my opinion requires less skill than using ones feet, as a result the skills required to score and move the ball from one end of the pitch and into a restricted area of some eight yards, is more skillful in football, baring in mind that the two teams are usually equally matched physically, so skill usually prevails in football above physical energy. In rugby it's predominantly physical effort first, with aggression, determination and teamwork providing the platform for scoring with the occasional flash of skillful play.

Archived