IGNORED

City V Forest Green Rovers Match Thread

Kid in the Riot

Clean slate my arse, he's a big contributory factor in us being relegated.

Fontaine has always been, and always will be a player that panics and transmits panic to those around him, no guts, no determination and in sense of the word a winner - the opposite in fact.

He shouldn't be anywhere near that team and imo if he is considered first choice we will not progress one jot and will struggle at the back just like last season.

Other than that, he's ok.

Funny as I seem to remember Fontaine being a good player in our last promotion run to the play offs and two 10th finishes infact I will go as far and say Fontaine has been a great server to this club up until last season when he and 20 other pros at this club let the fans down

It's hard to maintain momentum when you are only playing 45 mins of football,

I'm disappointed in sod for not using this friendly to give our main squad a full run out it seems to me he hasn't got a clue who his strongest 11 is which is worrying at this stage of preseason

Have you not thought that he is keeping ALL the players on there toes at the moment!

He's a pro football manager who has been through pre season many many times,I would back him 100% to know what and how he is doing things.

Not entirety sure what game the 'guy at work' was watching as I was very impressed with Flint's passing. Very rarely lumped it and his short passing was very accurate.

Swindon fans. Not today but over 2 seasons

Here we go again! I was there and don't recall these 3 or 4 passing errors?!

Maybe take the trouble to come to AG and watch some football this season, then form an opinion of your own?

Not going through this again it gets boring. I'll be at away games. Cheers maybe see you at one or 2

Thought Fonts was good, Ajala tricky and will do well, Flint is what we have been missing, no nonsense, has done well in this league, Harewood was not good enough, but needs match time, Bobby Reid was promising.

But still yet to see the magic that SOD has yet to weave, final ball was often poor, some nice crosses into the box, but poor finishing again.

On this form we will do well to finish mid table, hope it was just a 'run out' attitude.

FGR were very well organised in defence,and would be a match for anyone in this league..

Your last paragraph ruins an interesting post.

But still yet to see the magic that SOD has yet to weave, final ball was often poor, some nice crosses into the box, but poor finishing again.

On this form we will do well to finish mid table, hope it was just a 'run out' attitude.

3 weeks they've been back in pre-season with players being added in that time. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of he signings either and I don't mean Harewood. You can see we're trying to play more football & often in 1st half we were arguably guilty of passing it around too much without doing anything with it. But anyone who thinks we're going to be Swansea by start of season got horrible wake up call coming. Still think it's going to be a least Christmas until we start seeing impact of work that's being done now.

We've also got to win a few games in that time too so still going to have be some not very pretty stuff in there to get a job done when it needs doing. Trying to introduce a whole new philosophy & winning games at he same time is going to be a balancing act & one which by its very nature don't sit comfortably together. Saw enough of SODs Bournemouth & Donny teams over the years & his last game at Forest on on TV on Boxing Day to believe the wait will be worthwhile.

3 weeks they've been back in pre-season with players being added in that time. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of he signings either and I don't mean Harewood. You can see we're trying to play more football & often in 1st half we were arguably guilty of passing it around too much without doing anything with it. But anyone who thinks we're going to be Swansea by start of season got horrible wake up call coming. Still think it's going to be a least Christmas until we start seeing impact of work that's being done now.

Far too sensible a post for this forum.

My take on the game, first half impressed with work rate of Kelly and Wagstaff who were up and down the pitch. Wynter sat in front of the 2 centre backs and was receiving the ball and passing it on, just knitting things together. Think the width this season will come from Maloney and Cunningham who both like to get forward. Second half was impressed by the reserve keeper and mainly by Tom King the young left back who looked very accomplished and got forward well at times. We still have to get the striker department sorted and find a pair that can work together then we will be ready for the off.

My take on the game, first half impressed with work rate of Kelly and Wagstaff who were up and down the pitch. Wynter sat in front of the 2 centre backs and was receiving the ball and passing it on, just knitting things together. Think the width this season will come from Maloney and Cunningham who both like to get forward. Second half was impressed by the reserve keeper and mainly by Tom King the young left back who looked very accomplished and got forward well at times. We still have to get the striker department sorted and find a pair that can work together then we will be ready for the off.

Exactly how i saw it PaultonRed.

Kelly & Wagstaff's work rate was top notch. Been very impressed with young King as well & Wynter again looked assured in the middle protecting the back four. Very excited by him. First half today we dominated but powder puff up-front. FGR are an organised outfit and Turley & Bennett more than held their own against Harewood & Baldock. Likewise second half, Turley & Oshodi completely dominated Davies & Taylor. Like you say find a combination that works up top were good to go.

Thought Wynter and Kelly were the best two players we had today (albeit for 45min). Kellys goal was a cracker, completely flummoxed the keeper. I was a bit disappointed in JET today, some great touches but looked very casual... Louis Carey looked solid at the back and made one fantastic tackle, Fontaine was safe and assured to, Fieldings distribution was pretty poor.

2nd half was a bit of a let down even with the fringe/young players but Flint and Williams were both solid, Reid looked good, Taylor despite a couple of tidy layoffs was very lazy, Ajala looked ok but not that special (lots of pace) Killa played well with some good passes and pretty much ran the midfield and Parrish was pretty decent to.. shoud be a good backup keeper.

On a side note anyone there a bit surprised by the attendance? 581 City fans? Seemed a lot more than that in all honesty and didn't seem very many Forest Green fans at all in a crowd of around 1300.

Was chatting to a former fgr director who I've always found reliable in the bar afterwards. and he said that fgr have got a higher wage bill than Swindon! If true ( and I've got no reason to doubt him) Swindon are in for a very hard season. he also said that on the evidence that he's seen having watched fgr against us +Swindon. That we are a class above Swindon!

Was chatting to a former fgr director who I've always found reliable in the bar afterwards. and he said that fgr have got a higher wage bill than Swindon! If true ( and I've got no reason to doubt him) Swindon are in for a very hard season. he also said that on the evidence that he's seen having watched fgr against us +Swindon. That we are a class above Swindon!

More than likely to be true, Vince is loaded and owns half of Stroud and has pumped big money into FGR.

Swindle seem to be heading for ruin it seems, seriously imploded since Di Canio left although I cant help but think Di Canio is one of the main reasons they are in serious trouble.

Clean slate my arse, he's a big contributory factor in us being relegated.

Fontaine has always been, and always will be a player that panics and transmits panic to those around him, no guts, no determination and in sense of the word a winner - the opposite in fact.

He shouldn't be anywhere near that team and imo if he is considered first choice we will not progress one jot and will struggle at the back just like last season.

Other than that, he's ok.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on him. I can't disagree with what you say, but if he gets another chance (which looks very likely) then we have to back him.

He has to be given a clean slate by everyone. As much as it hurts me to say it as like you say, his poor form cost us last season. The likes of Killa and Pearson also need a clean slate. At least with Fonts he has been a good servant and has played well consistently at one point. Killa and Pearson are crap. Still, need to let it go and give them a chance again now fella.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on him. I can't disagree with what you say, but if he gets another chance (which looks very likely) then we have to back him.

He has to be given a clean slate by everyone. As much as it hurts me to say it as like you say, his poor form cost us last season. The likes of Killa and Pearson also need a clean slate. At least with Fonts he has been a good servant and has played well consistently at one point. Killa and Pearson are crap. Still, need to let it go and give them a chance again now fella.

I normally agree with you mate. On this occasion I can't Fonts isn't a bad player. But he hit bad form, didn't seem to handle captaincy responsibility, and it snow balled. I can't blame him, I can blame McInnes for not taking him out of the firing line and SOD for that matter. Bad management by both just sapped him of all morale. If he starts going the same way, and hopefully he won't, he needs taking out of the starting line up. Only one person can do that. .. just like last season.

Thought Fonts was good, Ajala tricky and will do well, Flint is what we have been missing, no nonsense, has done well in this league, Harewood was not good enough, but needs match time, Bobby Reid was promising.

FGR were very well organised in defence,and would be a match for anyone in this league..

Your last paragraph ruins an interesting post.

I'd disagree Mr Corleone.

FGR's defensive line is their strongest area. Jamie Turley is an excellent centre half, as is Eddie Oshodi, and both of these can (and very likely will) ply their future trade at League 1 level at the very least.

They've also got Aaron Raccine currently out injured and he might be better than both the others.

Some very decent centre-halves up there and only 49 goals conceded last season is proof of their solid defensive qualities.

I normally agree with you mate. On this occasion I can't Fonts isn't a bad player. But he hit bad form, didn't seem to handle captaincy responsibility, and it snow balled. I can't blame him, I can blame McInnes for not taking him out of the firing line and SOD for that matter. Bad management by both just sapped him of all morale. If he starts going the same way, and hopefully he won't, he needs taking out of the starting line up. Only one person can do that. .. just like last season.

I am hoping that if he can gets another chance he can prove myself and many others wrong.

I think the captaincy coupled with a long run of poor performances and no other competition hasn't helped his cause at all. I really hope he can win the fans back next season.

I am hoping that if he can gets another chance he can prove myself and many others wrong.

I think the captaincy coupled with a long run of poor performances and no other competition hasn't helped his cause at all. I really hope he can win the fans back next season.

As long as fans don't jump down his neck, he has a chance. We know he can be good, he had a fair few seasons of good displays, that you don't lose. I hope he gets a chance. A on form Fontaine is a great asset to the club... unlike the one we got last season.

Fielding

Maloney, Carey, Fonts,Cunningham

Wagstaff, Kilkenny, Kelly, Bryan

JET

Baldock

For me. M

Flint looked ok, good in the air, but I'm unsure if anything that came off his boot stayed in the ground, one with a future who needs to get his head into the SoD ethos of football.

Carey as ever was our best centre half today, strong, solid with ever excellent awareness.

Wynter impressed again, he'll get his but you've got to go with your best players, Kelly and KilKenny for me, both excellent today.

Davies. Disinterested as ever - I hope and prey that there was no scouts watching today as he was awful.....AGAIN

Carey and Kilkenny were captains today. Sign of players he trusts

I'd disagree Mr Corleone.

FGR's defensive line is their strongest area. Jamie Turley is an excellent centre half, as is Eddie Oshodi, and both of these can (and very likely will) ply their future trade at League 1 level at the very least.

They've also got Aaron Raccine currently out injured and he might be better than both the others.

Some very decent centre-halves up there and only 49 goals conceded last season is proof of their solid defensive qualities.

Thought Al Bangura looked very solid as well playing in front of the centre halves... deservedly their MoM.

An interesting game I thought. Our first half team look composed and dominated, Harewood hardly sparkled but our forward line did function better with him there than it did either against Rangers or in the 2nd half here. Of those who played in the 2nd 45 Flint, Kilkenny and Reid stood out, but the highlight for me was the left hand side with both King and Bryan looking excellent - a week forward line and a dodgy right back (Wilson) meant though that overall we lost the initiative once the team was changed.

Archived