IGNORED

O 'driscoll Misunderstood

Major Isewater

Well machines didn't have a clue but was plausible for a while and was fooling some people right up to the end! I don't care what his media relationships are like + I don't want to be his best mate and go out drinking with him. What I care about is that he's giving us what we've lackd since gj lost the plot. A clear sense of direction!

Amen to that brothers.

I've had a gut full of hearing the usual crap after the game from previous managers and wondering if they were actually watching the same game as I was. I think SO'D has had the same accusation of not being media friendly at every club he's been at, but he's usually managed to get the team to do the business on the pitch and that'll be plenty good enough for me.

Since SOD came in it really has been a breath of fresh air and it's been great to hear intelligent and insightful comments in his interviews, rather than the usual cliches and crap we've been used to. Maybe his presentation isn't the greatest, but if people just sit back and listen to what he says, they'll probably learn a lot about football!

Exactly this.

I get fed up with the same old cliche type sayings from managers and players. I appreciate the need to be politically correct but sometimes it really is tedious.

I actually find him refreshing. He tells it how it is and has his own look on things. Doesn't pander to the fans and talks honestly, rather than the same old crap that everyone wants to hear.

McInnes used to drive me nuts. He would constantly try to ensure he spoke well and sounded informative but ultimately just used typical manager speak that was what we wanted to hear and straight from the managers handbook. In fact, Docherty infuriated me beyond belief last season after the Derby home game. I think it was after Derby anyway!? After the game McInnes refused to be interviewed, only for Docherty to come out and make ludicrous remarks along the lines of us 'dominating the game' and 'creating 5 or 6 great chances'. After witnessing such a gutless and quite frankly painfully desperate display it was the last thing I wanted to hear. He was either completely deluded or was just lying to paper over the cracks and protect Del. Probably both.

Anyway back on SoD.....

Why is it a problem if he isn't great with the media!? Like I've said I like the way he goes about it, just don't get what people want. We have an extremely intelligent manager who really wants to sort this club out. That's all that bothers me really.

It was the Charlton match at home; I sat in the press box and sat in on Doc's interview. There was a lot of hysteria as to where McInnes was and whether he'd been sacked but he refused to attend the press conference because he was seething and screaming at the players. But yes, a lot of cliches were used; was very bland.

Sod is refreshing and is upfront about how he feels things are or need to be. I'd much rather his articulate views on our club in his 'miserable' Black Country tone than meaningless chat revised from the interview handbook for dummy mangers ala McInnes.

Well machines didn't have a clue but was plausible for a while and was fooling some people right up to the end! I don't care what his media relationships are like + I don't want to be his best mate and go out drinking with him. What I care about is that he's giving us what we've lackd since gj lost the plot. A clear sense of direction!

Exactly mate. For the first time in a long time we do have a sense of direction!

I just think everyone should embrace the change and new era he wants to take the club through. He's not doing it for himself like some other managers would as a stepping stone. It's the first time during my time as a City fan that I have witnessed anything like it. I think the closest to this was when Pulis left and the youngsters got a chance. Apart from that most managers have looked for a quick fix or have been in it for themselves and it's often ended with many a broken promise. W need to let SoD see this through. It's exciting times and it's nice not being spun the same old lines and cliches.

We will need a lot of patience and everyone should give him that. It's not as if to say any other ideas from other managers have worked in the past. I remember in the build up to Millen's second season in charge he said the aim was to get in the play offs. Ridiculous. Even more so when he had only signed Killa, Bolasie and Ryan Taylor that summer only to get well beaten on the opening day by a bang average Ipswich side.

I think SoD's handling of the media is great. I often enjoy his blunt and down to the point answers. I think people get brainwashed into thinking that every manager has to have the charisma of a Mourinho to be a success. If every manager was the same it would be boring.

It was the Charlton match at home; I sat in the press box and sat in on Doc's interview. There was a lot of hysteria as to where McInnes was and whether he'd been sacked but he refused to attend the press conference because he was seething and screaming at the players. But yes, a lot of cliches were used; was very bland.

Sod is refreshing and is upfront about how he feels things are or need to be. I'd much rather his articulate views on our club in his 'miserable' Black Country tone than meaningless chat revised from the interview handbook for dummy mangers ala McInnes.

Ah yes that was it! Charlton at home! What a desperately bad performance that was! In hindsight that was the game he should have gone. Without doubt. I even said it after but then we may not have ended up with SoD had it gone that way.

Your right though, I don't mind listening to him one bit. All of what he says is precise and thorough and although he isn't too bubbly in putting it across he talks sense. Exactly how it should be. He doesn't try fooling anyone.

Fair point p.o.w.but you take my point. he treats the media preety scornfully and shows nointerest in playing their ganes. but on the rradio programm I referred to he interacted well with the fans! Unfortunately some of our fans patience and dstomach for the rebuilding task lasted as long as a pre-season

There was an interesting reaction from SOd when Adam Baker interviewed him and asked if going to Bournemouth would pull at the heart strings. The reply was well I was a player there for x years and manager for x years and then a comment about having three clubs in the last year with the inference it had slightly disillusioned him about concepts of continuity and loyalty in modern football.

I think he is a sincere and loyal man who wants to be part of a project and create something of substance long-term rather than just pick up a salary. He talked about being a mutually good fit when appointed and I think he is and hope he stays for a long time.

In a sense relegation has given him the freedom to create a young passing side whereas scraping up in the championship would have meant stale players remained and held up the chance to accelerate what looks like an exciting project for the Club.

I had the opportunity to watch a lot of Bournemouth when Sean was in charge. He has always had this 'persona' and it's because he is shy. Pure and simple. I met him a couple of times at functions and he is exactly the same when the cameras are off and he is amongst friends/players. It's just the way he is.

When he went to Doncaster it was interesting to see that he took a very long time to win them over. He doesn't appeal to the working class northerner and they were calling for his head 6 months into the job because he was considered aloof and odd but he produced a team that won promotion playing attractive football.

The Forest fans loved him and could see that he was an intelligent man and they were gutted when he lost his job there.

We have a diamond. From listening to him talk at the last Fans Parliament I have absolute faith that he will get us promoted this season and we will do it playing attractive football.

My only concern is that if we were to have a run of poor form the knuckle scrapers on here would have their knives sharpened because he doesn't come across as passionate or hard.

He should be managing in the Premier League and we should cherish him while he is here.

Nice thought Harvey!

I notice your location says Surrey. I commuted from Guildford and Farnham for donkey's years, where are you based?

Sir Alf Ramsey was hardly a bundle of laughs when it came to giving interviews but this didn't stop him being successful.

As various people have said, it's results that count

Archived