IGNORED

Baldock

Briz

Always speaks really well in his interviews, seems like an intelligent guy. Think he will have a good season this year if we continue to play in the style we've been playing in the friendlies.

Baldock also seems to be very much a confidence player, if he starts off well I really feel he could easily hit 20+ goals this year.

Yeah seems a top bloke. Met him last season and as said seems a really genuine guy. Could do really well for us in league one, if he can stay fit.

But having said all that will more than likely go days before the new season. With us left with little to no back up plan. ( hope I'm wrong).

Yeah seems a top bloke. Met him last season and as said seems a really genuine guy. Could do really well for us in league one, if he can stay fit.

But having said all that will more than likely go days before the new season. With us left with little to no back up plan. ( hope I'm wrong).

Dont worry mate he's staying put and will be MASSIVE for us this season.

Baldock, personally he'd be following Davies out the door for me, SoD is looking for another striker of similar style to Baldock, personally I hope the incoming player is a natural confident finisher at which point will Baldock even get in the team.

For me a player of lesser ability than the player he replaced in Pitman.

Baldock, personally he'd be following Davies out the door for me, SoD is looking for another striker of similar style to Baldock, personally I hope the incoming player is a natural confident finisher at which point will Baldock even get in the team.

For me a player of lesser ability than the player he replaced in Pitman.

How can anyone has a lesser ability than pitmans work rate? :/

How can anyone has a lesser ability than pitmans work rate? :/

Work rate counts for nothing if you don't get yourself into the positon to score the goals.

Shaun Goater was one of the laziest strikers to ever wear City red, but right time, right place....Baldock isn't that player, Pitman was.

Ok Bowie, so when last season did any of our players ever put the ball in the right place and the right time for baldock to have a chance?

The answer is very rarely as they couldn't pass for love not money.

However, this season is looking a lot more positive and baldock will be on the end of many chance in which I believe a lot of them he will score. Just needs that confidence back

Ok Bowie, so when last season did any of our players ever put the ball in the right place and the right time for baldock to have a chance?

The answer is very rarely as they couldn't pass for love not money.

However, this season is looking a lot more positive and baldock will be on the end of many chance in which I believe a lot of them he will score. Just needs that confidence back

How many goals in Pre-Season?

Work rate counts for nothing if you don't get yourself into the positon to score the goals.

Shaun Goater was one of the laziest strikers to ever wear City red, but right time, right place....Baldock isn't that player, Pitman was.

think tony Thorpe would have given goater a run for his money in the lazy stakes

He'd have to sharpen up his finishing to get anywhere near 20 goals.

Can't see it myself.

He is very much a confidence player I feel. He looked fantastic in the first month of the season (Cardiff/Blackburn/Peterborough etc) then things went downhill for the team and he lost his confidence, not to mention our style of play and lack of support from midfield last season would not have helped at all.

If we play well as a team and can successfully produce the style SO'D is renowned for, I truly believe Sam will thrive and have his highest goalscoring season yet.

Quite a few people seem to have some strange misconceptions here.

Baldock scored 10 and got two assists in the Championship, in 23 starts and 11 sub appearances. His shooting was more accurate than Davies, and light years beyond Taylor.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/Shooting/0,,10794~201210327~7,00.html

Goals per minutes wise, he's very close to Davies. He didn't miss many good chances - in fact as a player who feeds off through balls in behind he got very few.

I'd bet on us seeing an even better return this season since we're playing at a lower level, against teams who have a lot of big centre halves that are easier to turn, and will be more compact and incisive and less direct. I'm not sure where the Baldock negativity comes from but he will be one of our most important players this season IMO.

Quite a few people seem to have some strange misconceptions here.

Baldock scored 10 and got two assists in the Championship, in 23 starts and 11 sub appearances. His shooting was more accurate than Davies, and light years beyond Taylor.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/Shooting/0,,10794~201210327~7,00.html

Goals per minutes wise, he's very close to Davies. He didn't miss many good chances - in fact as a player who feeds off through balls in behind he got very few.

I'd bet on us seeing an even better return this season since we're playing at a lower level, against teams who have a lot of big centre halves that are easier to turn, and will be more compact and incisive and less direct. I'm not sure where the Baldock negativity comes from but he will be one of our most important players this season IMO.

As always mucker, spot on!!!!!

No misconceptions from me.

I've seen him play on numerous occasions and, in my opinion, he'll have to sharpen up his finishing by quite a margin to get anywhere near 20 goals in a season.

Bugger the stats, I've seen him and he aint got 20 goals in him unless he improves by a long way.

Agreed. He won't score 20 this season from what I've seen. Poor first touch as well and doesn't seem to play through knocks like other pro's do meaning extra time on the sidelines.

Love him to prove me wrong though.

Bugger the stats, I've seen him and he aint got 20 goals in him unless he improves by a long way.

Hard to be wrong with a qualification like that I guess.

I've seen him play and I don't think he'll have to improve much to score a lot this season, he'll just need consistent starts next to a decent player who he can play off.

It is of course incredibly unfair to judge any striker of Baldock's type on a season playing in a team as bad as ours was last year, but I have to admit I was disappointed in him.

His first touch is poor, his obvious physical limitations make it a challenge to get him in the team unless you are playing with two up front (note how he joined the long list of City strikers operating on the wing late into last season) and his finishing has been at best erratic.

It is worth pointing out that he did look somewhat more confident in front of goal when he first arrived and the argument that we were so poor we sapped any confidence out of him could be a fair one. It's difficult to blame someone for snatching at a chance when they know it may be the only chance they get for a month, so in a City team hopefully being on top of games a bit more often his confidence in front of goal may rise. Firstly through being presented with more chances and then hopefully by the fact he is making the net bulge with a reasonable amount of regularity. It is also worth mentioning that he seemed to always be either carrying or just coming back from one niggling injury or another, maybe we didn't see him 100% fit too often last year?

He is quick (although not lightening as some make out) and he can make very good runs, so there is a cause for optimism that against lower standard and slower central defenders he could be a real handful as long as we are providing him with the right service. In the air he is next to hopeless and as I said his first touch at times is bordering on criminal, so we need to provide him with balls played beyond the oppositions backline that he can hopefully use his pace to get on the end of.

To get him at his best he does probably need to partnered with someone like Taylor or Harewood and the couple of times he was asked to play up top on his own last season he was unsurprisingly useless. However in the Reading game I thought he did seem to strike up a decent partnership with JET, who although not an out an out forward did a good job of playing in the hole just behind him, while also doing his best to challenge the opposition centre halves in the air when it was required. In a team that is going to play a slightly better brand of football we may be able to hide Baldock's physical weaknesses better than we did last season, but we'll still probably need either a big centre forward alongside him or JET playing just off of him to allow him to do what he is good at which is breaking the offside trap and running beyond the opposition defence.

One thing is for certain though is that as the squad stands he is crucial. Hopefully we are able to bring in another striker this week, but if aren't we go into the season with an awful lot of pressure on Baldock to provide goals. He was dangerous against Reading last week and not only did he make several excellent runs, for once we were actually able to pick him out when he did get a yard on the opposition centre halves. However had his finishing on one occasion and touch on another not let him down we should/could have been going in at half time 2-0 up. Unfortunately we were going in at 0-0...

There are reasons to be optimistic that he could be an real threat for us this season, but I do struggle to see how anyone can be sure on the matter. For me the jury is very much out.

Archived