IGNORED

Welcome To Our World...r*vers Jr

Kid in the Riot

agreed... no complaints from TESCO in the application where as co-op objected....im a lot more confident than i have ever been ... the appeal has to find a problem with the JR judges decsion... effectively fighting 2 decsions ... the original planning and the JR outcome... im sure they will appeal if they have funds... its there way

Obviously us lot on here are all to aware of how this process works. They will surely appeal, as late in the day as they can without it looking too deliberate. They will know its pretty much a lost cause, but if it can delay things for a tad longer it increases the chance of derailing the project or at least increasing the cost.

No idea what time lines your working with, but just say the appeal would push the start of the works over until sometime during next season, what if you get relegated before then? Building a new multi-million pound stadium is unlikely to be a high priority.

For the record, i think the location and size of your new stadium is spot on, really sensible place to have it. However, having spent the majority of my life living in the area around Glos Rd, never in a million years is there a need there for a another huge supermarket there and certainly not a the cost of a war memorial.

For the record, i think the location and size of your new stadium is spot on, really sensible place to have it. However, having spent the majority of my life living in the area around Glos Rd, never in a million years is there a need there for a another huge supermarket there and certainly not a the cost of a war memorial.

Well thats one of the great things about the scheme:  the Memorial will actually be enhanced with a Memorial Square and garden, will still be used for the Armistace Day ceremonies, and be seen and respected by many, many more Bristolians than at a crumbling old sports stadium that Bristol Rugby will no longer play at after this season.

Their plans have been designed with consultancy from, and the support of, the British Legion and Bristol Rugby ex-Players Society (who wrote actively in support of the application to the BCC Planning Committee).

So a much better Memorial for the great fallen of the city than before.  Much better than one had the Greens got their way and flattened it and put housing or allotments on across the whole site 

Well thats one of the great things about the scheme:  the Memorial will actually be enhanced with a Memorial Square and garden, will still be used for the Armistace Day ceremonies, and be seen and respected by many, many more Bristolians than at a crumbling old sports stadium that Bristol Rugby will no longer play at after this season.

Their plans have been designed with consultancy from, and the support of, the British Legion and Bristol Rugby ex-Players Society (who wrote actively in support of the application to the BCC Planning Committee).

So a much better Memorial for the great fallen of the city than before.  Much better than one had the Greens got their way and flattened it and put housing or allotments on across the whole site 

Ok, thats fantastic and glad they have the support of all relevant parties, genuinely glad to hear that things have been addressed in that regard.

Still, a supermarket there is not needed in any way shape or form, for anyone in power to allow it just seems total madness to me.

I will still believe it when I see it. I have watched Rovers for 40 years and for 30 of those they have been about to move to a new ground. I see TRASH have 7 days to appeal, and Nick Higgs has mentioned in his statement that the delay has cost time and money, and that this means that there will now be contractual issues to sort out.

Apart from that, I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to new football grounds, and talk of 'new revenue streams' always leaves me a bit cold.

You can't stop progress, and I will go along with it, but give me a stadium and pitch like the Baseball Ground circa 1974 anytime!

I will still believe it when I see it. I have watched Rovers for 40 years and for 30 of those they have been about to move to a new ground. I see TRASH have 7 days to appeal, and Nick Higgs has mentioned in his statement that the delay has cost time and money, and that this means that there will now be contractual issues to sort out.

Apart from that, I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to new football grounds, and talk of 'new revenue streams' always leaves me a bit cold.

You can't stop progress, and I will go along with it, but give me a stadium and pitch like the Baseball Ground circa 1974 anytime!

...or Ashton Gate? ;-)

Good luck to them, I hope they get their new ground, could be good for Bristol football all around.

Although my initial thoughts are felt above, I'd be gutted as I could see the tables turning in the next 10 years if the groind goes ahead.

Agreed - I think whilst only 21,700 at present the "South Glos bowl" can easily be extended to 26,000 and then up to 35,000 if needed. We will get to about 27,000 after much inconvenience and then won't be able to expand further without major works/buying adjacent land.

However, at least we won't be renting our ground from a uni and will share upkeep of ours with the rugby club.

Pleased that they can progress.Find it ironic though that the law has protected an old rubbish tip from development but allowedbuilding on piece of land left as a memorial.

Exactly what I was going to post. No problem with them moving ( as long as they don't come to us!) but it is sad the Memorial Stadium and what it stands for gets turned into a supermarket

Agreed - I think whilst only 21,700 at present the "South Glos bowl" can easily be extended to 26,000 and then up to 35,000 if needed. We will get to about 27,000 after much inconvenience and then won't be able to expand further without major works/buying adjacent land.

However, at least we won't be renting our ground from a uni and will share upkeep of ours with the rugby club.

Can't see R*vers ever needing 26k let alone 35k.

UWE have given them the land on the condition that it will always be called "UWE Stadium" and R*vers can't sell the naming rights. They're not renting.

Bristol City on the other hand are technically tenants of Ashton Gate Ltd as I understand it.

I can now forsee Rovers going one of two ways: either they become a bit of a Reading, or a bit of a Darlington.

Or they could just carry on being Rovers in nicer surroundings....

The latter, imo.

Just can't picture Rovers in a 22,000 all seater stadium, playing nice attractive football whilst being in the championship.. it doesn't suit them..dwindling 5,000 crowds, horrible pitches horrible football is their way..

UWE have given them the land on the condition that it will always be called "UWE Stadium" and R*vers can't sell the naming rights. They're not renting.

Bristol City on the other hand are technically tenants of Ashton Gate Ltd as I understand it.

Steady on KITR... talking truths like that will upset some  ;)

the capacity is 'sensible' and the opportunity to increase cheaply doesn't hurt either

Still wont believe it till im stood in it mind!

I think this thread, "Welcome To Our World, Rovers," leaving aside the JR bit, could run for a few years yet:

Lower leagues with big ground, more support than many/ most, signing players on wages to suit parking bigger, fancier cars in the car park, raised supporter expectations, visiting teams enjoying the facilities, "lesser" teams bafflingly out-performing us again and again, people sat in seats less inclined to sing (choirs don't stand for nothing) and busy-body, fussy stewards, expectations and reality at some point not in alignment, criticism of board of directors, big-match heartbreak, recrimination, squabbling amongst the faithful, looking to rivals failure for some light relief......

We shall see. Either way, we need to up our game and rise to the challenge

I stand corrected on the UWE ground. Dare I say it but it looks like rovers have done well in that case.

And I am aware we are tenants technically however, it is not to the same degree as other clubs are!

I stand corrected on the UWE ground. Dare I say it but it looks like rovers have done well in that case.

And I am aware we are tenants technically however, it is not to the same degree as other clubs are!

exactly we are all tennants to the shareholders/owners

exactly we are all tennants to the shareholders/owners

Agreed, although with us it is slightly different with Ashton Gate Limited, BCFC Limited and Bristol City Football Club Limited all being under the same parent company (Bristol City Holdings Limited) and I believe it is this which controls each subsidiary company.

Edit: For comparison purposes Bristol Rovers (1983) Limited is their ultimate parent company with Bristol Rovers Football Club Limited the subsidiary company responsible for the football team and The Memorial Stadium Company Limited (which is currently non - trading).

Archived