IGNORED

Your Best Moment At Ag?

BRISTOL86

Aside from anything playoff or promotion related, what was your best moment at AG in recent years?

Mine would be Ivan Sproule against Southampton in (I think) 07/08

We are winning going into stoppage time, Saints get a corner, their keeper (Davis?) goes up for it. Every city player in our own box except Sproule. Basso claims the corner, launches it to Sproule who runs the length of the field at lightning speed (heading towards the tunnel in the Atyeo) before seemingly remembering he's trying to score a goal and then steers it towards the empty net to guarantee the points!

Can't find a video on YouTube to check my memory for the details, but I think that covers it!

I remember GJ being interviewed after and saying something like "I thought for a moment he was going to keep running straight down the tunnel with it"!

Good times :laugh:

There were some other great moments that season too! Bradley Orr equalising late against WBA early on in the season...being temporarily top because of a Brian Wilson goal at Hillsbrough, outplaying a very fancied Sheffield United side at home to win 2-0, god knows how many last minute winners (Norwich at home rings a bell?), McCombe overhead kick vs Hull!

Oh dear, just checked t'interweb and it seems the Sproule goal against Southampton was the following season - 08/09! Oh well!

Aside from anything playoff or promotion related, what was your best moment at AG in recent years?

Mine would be Ivan Sproule against Southampton in (I think) 07/08

We are winning going into stoppage time, Saints get a corner, their keeper (Davis?) goes up for it. Every city player in our own box except Sproule. Basso claims the corner, launches it to Sproule who runs the length of the field at lightning speed (heading towards the tunnel in the Atyeo) before seemingly remembering he's trying to score a goal and then steers it towards the empty net to guarantee the points!

Can't find a video on YouTube to check my memory for the details, but I think that covers it!

I remember GJ being interviewed after and saying something like "I thought for a moment he was going to keep running straight down the tunnel with it"!

Good times :laugh:

There were some other great moments that season too! Bradley Orr equalising late against WBA early on in the season...being temporarily top because of a Brian Wilson goal at Hillsbrough, outplaying a very fancied Sheffield United side at home to win 2-0, god knows how many last minute winners (Norwich at home rings a bell?), McCombe overhead kick vs Hull!

Oh dear, just checked t'interweb and it seems the Sproule goal against Southampton was the following season - 08/09! Oh well!

sure ivan scored a "wondergoal" that game night game but towards east end? was play off season definetly

4-2 win the League Cup, after losing the first leg 3-1 and going though on the away goals rule.

Even then you went 1-0 up on the night ..

Other than that Gary Smarts last minute 30 yd screamer on News Year Day to win 1-0 after you'd battered us all the game :D

Your keeper had an absolute blinder that day. Was that the late Tim carter?

4-2 win the League Cup, after losing the first leg 3-1 and going though on the away goals rule.

Even then you went 1-0 up on the night ..

Other than that Gary Smarts last minute 30 yd screamer on News Year Day to win 1-0 after you'd battered us all the game :D

I doesn't count if you were listening on the radio.

The home leg of the playoff against Hartlepool, specifically the five minutes where everything changed and Roberts stuck that goal away. I was going through a very rough time in my life and it all didn't matter for a little bit.

A seperate note, it was also the most gracious moment I had from another set of fans, the Hartlepool lot stayed to clap their team off and then clapped us for what had been a really competitive game.

It must be John Atyeo scoring against Oldham in the last match of the 1964-65 season to clinch promotion to the second division. There was a big crowd (28,000 ish???) and a great atmosphere.

What made it even better was the series of events that lead up to the match. City’s hopes of promotion were dead a buried a week before, but City wining their last 3 matches and the other promotion contenders dropping points, meant City just had to win the last match to go up on goal difference. One of the matches City won, was 1-5 away to Shrewsbury, with Atyeo scoring 4 goals.

Unfortunately there is no video of the Oldham game but below is City v Colchester from 1964. Nothing to do with this subject, but it’s interesting to see what the ground looked like in those days, and to see Atyeo score. (The Wedlock looks the same)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j863nl5_QPc

Chris Garland going on his hands and knees to head the ball in off the floor in a Gloucester Cup match against the squatters. Think we winning 5-0 and that goal made it 6.

It was in the Anglo Scottish Cup and it was 6.1 as we took the lead, I think we were still in front at half time .

My Favourite goal at Ashton was from Gary Smart having totally outplayed you all game we finally got what we thoroughly deserved in injury time.

Regards Rich Utg

Archived