IGNORED

Passing The Ball Out Of Defence

Geoff65

I thought we were going to play a passing game, with the goalie passing to the defenders and moving the ball up field through passing.

Fielding encouraged by Flint was hoofing the ball long all game, what happened? did I misinterpret what SOD was hoping to achieve with his team?

I thought we were going to play a passing game, with the goalie passing to the defenders and moving the ball up field through passing.

Fielding encouraged by Flint was hoofing the ball long all game, what happened? did I misinterpret what SOD was hoping to achieve with his team?

They did pass it about, however occasionally there was the odd long ball forward....but there was a clear effort to keep the ball on the ground, much improved on last season. I personally thought that flint was superb.

They did pass it about, however occasionally there was the odd long ball forward....but there was a clear effort to keep the ball on the ground, much improved on last season. I personally thought that flint was superb.

We all see games differently and this forum proves that after every game. Today I thought that Flint and particularly Fontaine were lumping the ball 'into the channels' for Baldock to try and get on to and it surprised me to see that after all the talk about adopting a 'passing game' style.

That said there were times when neither Kilkenny or Wynter were available to take the ball so they hoofed it. A couple of time Fontaine had yards of space to bring the ball out but he just tried something ambitious and wasted possession. That could his lack of confidence on the ball but he's a seasoned pro and should be able to bring the ball out of defence by now. Something for him to work on I reckon.

It wasn't occasional.

We all see games differently and this forum proves that after every game. Today I thought that Flint and particularly Fontaine were lumping the ball 'into the channels' for Baldock to try and get on to and it surprised me to see that after all the talk about adopting a 'passing game' style.

That said there were times when neither Kilkenny or Wynter were available to take the ball so they hoofed it. A couple of time Fontaine had yards of space to bring the ball out but he just tried something ambitious and wasted possession. That could his lack of confidence on the ball but he's a seasoned pro and should be able to bring the ball out of defence by now. Something for him to work on I reckon.

They did play it into the channel on occasions, but they also tried to pass it around the back. If Kilkenny or Wynter dont offer them support, or the are under pressure, they are bound to hoof it.

I think we are still evolving. Flint is not likely to be a Beckenbauer but give him time to improve this in his game. For me i am just hapy to have a leader and a ball winner where it matters. Give it time, I think its a real positive that we now have the basis of a team that is young and will get better. There was much more ball on the ground and that got better when Pack came on. Give it time please. Bradford was always going to be a difficult game with so many new players. I am happy with today ( would prefer 3 points ) and think given time it will get better.

Flint is a real plus point.

I must admit there were a few too many long balls from defence for my liking but developing a strong passing game takes time. You could clearly see that our midfield was trying to shift the ball around and create openings on the floor and hopefully as the season goes on and our players become more settled we will see less long balls from the back, although they will inevitably occur.

Edit: One thing I will say though is the constant chipped balls into Baldock clearly do not play to his strengths and he's not going to win any of them. Despite his lack of aerial ability or strength he doesn't have a particularly good first touch imo and therefore this kind of tactic will prove pointless and will grow very tiresome very quickly. Hopefully these were as a result of players panicking/rushing things and won't be a regular occurrence as the season goes on.

Did we pass the ball out of defense like Brighton or Swansea, no we didn't. How many times did the goalie pass the ball short to one our players in order to play the ball out of defense, I can remember maybe once but the rest of the time it was a full kick up field. I thought we were doing the full passing game, not just the tidy passing that occurred further up the field.

It's early days people, you don't completely change a style of pay over 1 pre-season. It was a vast improvement though!

I'd also like to add that a long ball into a channel doesn't necessarily count as a hoof. Just because its a long ball doesn't mean it's unintelligent or bad football. Just look at the ball flint played over the top to Baldock pre-season v reading. Cracking ball. Not a hoof. The passing football will come but they'll also mix it up a bit and look for Baldock in the channels. I'd count a hoof as a long ball aimed at no one or continuely aimed at a target man.

Few rose tinted glasses. I thought Flint was ok, what's needed at this level, but hardly class. Midfield was far too lightweight and often sat too deep, we seemed reluctant to use width and hoofed it to Baldrick far too often. However, it's a building process, team is inexperienced and we need to be patient, with current squad I can see goals being a problem, and with aforementioned midfield, we will concede. Also thought Fielding looked dodgy at times. Early days, I'm not expecting a lot this season, some encouraging signs that we are moving in right direction.

It's early days people, you don't completely change a style of pay over 1 pre-season. It was a vast improvement though!

I'd also like to add that a long ball into a channel doesn't necessarily count as a hoof. Just because its a long ball doesn't mean it's unintelligent or bad football. Just look at the ball flint played over the top to Baldock pre-season v reading. Cracking ball. Not a hoof. The passing football will come but they'll also mix it up a bit and look for Baldock in the channels. I'd count a hoof as a long ball aimed at no one or continuely aimed at a target man.

Vast improvement? Really?? I thought the ratio of long ball to patient passing was far too high and exactly like last season. I could see no appreciable change. We were never a 100% long ball side before. Defenders were far roo ready to bypass midfield yesterday - scared to pass short to someone who had an opponent nearby. If you watch Barcelona or Spain, they're confident to pass to Xavi or Iniesta even if they have an opponent near them. Obvously that depends on trusting the midfielder's first touch. That's where we have to try to get to.

You Could see they were trying to play the ball out of defence alot more than last season but when they did play long ball forward baldock would never win the ball in the air he always had to pray it went over their heads and use his pace to get to the ball first which is why i feel baldock and harewood could be a good partnership but if possible we need 1 new striker and a quick winger willing to run at defences and put a good ball in

Loved the passion of Flint when Fielding screwed up for them to score, just looked mental at Fielding.

We certainly tried to keep it on the deck but there was always going to be a few balls into the channels. I've no problem with that, we are never going to play complete football and to change the way we play won't happen overnight.

Was pleasantly surprised by Flint with the ball at his feet. We'd heard some right horror stories about his distribution but he looked comfortable and generally picked out a pass.

We certainly tried to keep it on the deck but there was always going to be a few balls into the channels. I've no problem with that, we are never going to play complete football and to change the way we play won't happen overnight.

Was pleasantly surprised by Flint with the ball at his feet. We'd heard some right horror stories about his distribution but he looked comfortable and generally picked out a pass.

He was much better than that. Think he will give the balls for baldock to have a field day once they get the understanding

Did we pass the ball out of defense like Brighton or Swansea, no we didn't. How many times did the goalie pass the ball short to one our players in order to play the ball out of defense, I can remember maybe once but the rest of the time it was a full kick up field.

Nonsense, the ball was given short quite often by Fielding particularly in the first half, less so in the second. It was then not always passed forward but punted hopefully, however the initial short pass or throw was there.

Archived