IGNORED

Steven Caulker

AshtonGreat

I can't help feeling that football seems to lose touch with reality when it makes the step up from the Championship to the Premier League. Cardiff paying £9million for Steven Caulker seems way over the odds to me. He's good but he's not THAT good. If he was still playing for us, would you really value him at anywhere near that fee? £3-4million maybe but £9million?? Albert was in the same City team as Caulker and was every bit as good, and yet he's just gone for £1m. I know Caulker now has Premier League experience and you could say he has potential but nine times the value of Albert? Come on

I can't help feeling that football seems to lose touch with reality when it makes the step up from the Championship to the Premier League. Cardiff paying £9million for Steven Caulker seems way over the odds to me. He's good but he's not THAT good. If he was still playing for us, would you really value him at anywhere near that fee? £3-4million maybe but £9million?? Albert was in the same City team as Caulker and was every bit as good, and yet he's just gone for £1m. I know Caulker now has Premier League experience and you could say he has potential but nine times the value of Albert? Come on

He is home grown with new match day rules British players prices are going to continue to spiral in the prem. So he probably is worth it to a premiership team.... not that I agree with transfer prices as they are.

£9mill for a 21 centre back on the fringes of the England squad? if he turns into the next rio Ferdinand or sol campbell it will be a steal.

Centre backs only start to show they're true quality until about 24-25, so he's got a couple of years to improve still, and then has probably 8 years at his peak.

££££££

Hope that veers you toward the most likely reason.

I don't know if this was about money to be honest, his first team appearances weren't regular. But then again who would want to join that smug Malaysian empire to play football??

agree with most others, £9m for a 21 year old CB with prem experience is a top deal.

Can deffo see him in the england squad in a year or so, especially at cardiff where he'll certainly be getting a lot of defensive practice in as they get battered every week! ;)

9M for a young CB that already has prem experience is a good deal IMO.

I can't imagine a 7M buy back clause being put in. If there is a buy back clause at all I'd imagine it's around 12M.

Not for me. But hype and being a 'name' cannot be underestimated. Zaha isn't 15 times better than Albert. Andy Carroll isn't 30 times better than Steven Davies (he isn't even ten times better). But at the end of the day, big names sell shirts/seats/column inches.

££££££

Hope that veers you toward the most likely reason.

He's said the reason was to give himself the best chance of playing at next years World Cup, I imagine he was on half decent wedge at spurs so very much doubt it was money.

To be honest he needs to work bloody hard and have a great season as his under 21 performances were poor.

No doubting on of the best defenders I have seen for city, looked classy. Bigstep up with premiership class strikers.

Hope he makes it, big year for him this year.

To be honest he needs to work bloody hard and have a great season as his under 21 performances were poor.

No doubting on of the best defenders I have seen for city, looked classy. Bigstep up with Premier League class strikers.

Hope he makes it, big year for him this year.

I hope he makes it too. He was pretty good for us. But if he's worth 9 million, goodness knows what Paolo Maldini or Franco Baresi would've been worth if they were still in their prime.

I hope he makes it too. He was pretty good for us. But if he's worth 9 million, goodness knows what Paolo Maldini or Franco Baresi would've been worth if they were still in their prime.

Indeed. A lot of money for what is a bit of a premiership unproven. It will be money well spent if he improves. A worthwhile gamble? Maybe for a bigger team... could prove a expensive backfire for Tan

Not for me. But hype and being a 'name' cannot be underestimated. Zaha isn't 15 times better than Albert. Andy Carroll isn't 30 times better than Steven Davies (he isn't even ten times better). But at the end of the day, big names sell shirts/seats/column inches.

I think prices are ridiculous these days.

What do you think is a fair price for Caulker?

Rodger Johnson (now in the 3rd tier with Wolves) joined Birmingham from Cardiff for £5m 4 years ago.

Matt Mills went from Reading to Leicester for £5m+ in 2011.

That's the standard of centre back £5m buys you.

Caulkner is class miles better than either and also an England international, so I'd say £8 or £9m for him is probably a bit of a bargain.

Rodger Johnson (now in the 3rd tier with Wolves) joined Birmingham from Cardiff for £5m 4 years ago.

Matt Mills went from Reading to Leicester for £5m+ in 2011.

That's the standard of centre back £5m buys you.

Caulkner is class miles better than either and also an England international, so I'd say £8 or £9m for him is probably a bit of a bargain.

No, I'd say that's two more classic examples of clubs who've paid over the odds for overrated players

Archived