IGNORED

Keeping My Feet Firmly On The Ground...for Now.

The hand of RO'D

As topic says, while it was a great result and performance last night, my feet are staying planted for now.

I can remember last year being at the Cardiff game after we smashed palace on the Tuesday thinking "we could be dark horses this year" and allowed myself to get carried away. I'm not here advocating we should all do the same but let's just wait until we're 10 games in and see if we're still keeping the same level of performance.

Granted the new mentality and players at the club are genuinely exciting, this is still a transition period for the club. As long as we can keep building on what were doing ill be over the moon this season even if we finish mid table.

As topic says, while it was a great result and performance last night, my feet are staying planted for now.

I can remember last year being at the Cardiff game after we smashed palace on the Tuesday thinking "we could be dark horses this year" and allowed myself to get carried away. I'm not here advocating we should all do the same but let's just wait until we're 10 games in and see if we're still keeping the same level of performance.

Granted the new mentality and players at the club are genuinely exciting, this is still a transition period for the club. As long as we can keep building on what were doing ill be over the moon this season even if we finish mid table.

Was thinking this last night, and all of our new players are already overrated, they could be as good as they've been these two games, and I hope they are but, Martyn Woolford last season anybody!?

still gunning for a 10th place finish, but you can't help getting excited by the football thats been on show so far, we do look pretty solid and the 2 we concided so far were silly mistakes that can be cut out,

going forward I still think we are light up front

Agreed we shouldn't get carried away but if it wasn't for a rush of blood to the head (Fielding) on Saturday, I think we would have won fairly comfortably. Also the enthusiasm of the youngsters is great to see after the don't care attitude of the last couple of seasons. I feel a top half finish would be great this season, we need to build for the future and hopefully we have the manager and the mix of youth and experience to do this. Maybe an extra striker with the money we get from Albert would be beneficial but I for one am feeling really optimistic. I enjoyed the match on Saturday and I haven't said that for as long as I can remember!

I am hoping for a play off place - as, well getting back into the championship is where I want to be next season - however if we have a good season, win more than we lose and play good football I will settle for that. From what I have seen for a team that has been together for only a few weeks in many cases they are playing well together and it can only get better - yes there will be hiccups, but all around as a squad the team feels better than last seasons - even if player for player they may be a little weaker.

Through the summer quite a few on here have been cynical about the changes being made by the club, and by SOD as far as the playing side of things was concerned, saying that they had heard it all before and wanting proof that things were going to be different. With some, I almost get the impression that they prefer us to be doing badly because it is easier to make negative posts than positive ones.

As another poster has already pointed out, this time last season many were getting carried away with 2 admittedly impressive results, but I do think that a majority of fans realised the underlying problems we had, and that would undermine the season - as proved to be the case. It is early days for this season, and one win at Gillingham should not be cause for us to get carried away and start talking about steamrolling the division and promotion being assured. However, and especially bearing in mind the financial background to this season, from the last 2 games it does seem as though SOD has done what he said he would, and built a young team playing good football. He has managed to get square pegs in square holes, and has strengthened what had previously been long standing areas of weakness, albeit to a league 1 standard - although think there are a few who already show signs of being capable of stepping up a level.

Following Albert's transfer there is a good chance that further signings will come in to strengthen the squad, so I am feeling much more optimistic now about the coming season than I was at the end of last season, and think that fans can look forward to being entertained by, and be proud of a city team through the coming season. I always thought that this would be a season to consolidate our position with such a new and young team, so my best expectation is that we can challenge for the play offs and anything more will be a bonus, as I am sure we will have problems along the way. I think most fans are equally realistic, although I always admire the blind optimism many still show.

We have a long way to go before the club can get back to the heady heights we reached under Johnson, but the work SOD has put in over the summer represents a new beginning for the club and I am looking forward to us building on that steadily, so that when we regain our championship status we will be much better placed to compete at that level both on and off the pitch.

My personal prediction before the season started was top 3, I'm sticking to that. Another striker in (hopefully) with the funds from Adomah sale, and I think we are done. Maybe look to loan in a Centre half but in the mean time stick with Fonts/Williams along side Flint.

As you say, the new mentality is exciting but it's not gonna steamroller over everyone. We've certainly not cracked it as yet & no doubt it's not gonna work every week. Enjoy the ride & take the rough with the smooth & know we will be better for it in the long run

..its a long hard season and for one or two its rigours will be new and demanding.this season is a big learning curve for them-we shall see after a few "dodgy"results and when legs and minds tire.

I have changed my opinion, we may well be an outside bet for Pray offs.

The youngsters will come good next season though, and promotion will happen. Still have doubts this season cos we still have a couple of players in the squad whose morale and attitiude will be a big issue when we lose for the first time. I'm referring to Fontaine (who is still poor) Elliott and Kilkenny. Could they create defeatism in the squad, after all they are well used to being in the shit...it wont help youngsters if they do..

My personal prediction before the season started was top 3, I'm sticking to that. Another striker in (hopefully) with the funds from Adomah sale, and I think we are done. Maybe look to loan in a Centre half but in the mean time stick with Fonts/Williams along side Flint.

There's something very reassuring about the way O'Driscoll conducts himself in front of the camera. No crap rhetoric, he just says it as it is.

He has a quiet confidence about him which I'm sure rubs off onto the players and so far he's done a good job in strengthening the squad with his own type of player, players that can actually pass to a team mate on a consistent basis and most all who have good ball control. That alone is very different to the recent close seasons we've been subjected to.

With the sale of Adomah and some extra dosh to sign a couple more players this month things will look even better come 1st September. We all know a pacy striker is on the shopping list and probably another versatile/defensive midfielder as well

Personally I would very disappointed if City don't spend the season battling it out in the top six. I'm ever hopeful that automatic is not out of reach and secretly my guess is that O'Driscoll is hopeful as well although we'd never hear his say the word 'promotion' this early in the season.

Archived